Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DChronicles of Men: Original Universe Concept Art

madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2016 in Work in Progress #1
This is going to be a place to post traditional concept work I do on my original universe for a series I started writing some time ago: The Chronicles of Men. It will be primarily traditional art (pen and ink and marker). I will NOT be moving these items into illustrator. I tried before and I just didn't like the results.

Hope you all enjoy.

Birmingham_Class_Cruiser_Redux_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Birmingham-Class Light Cruiser
United Earth Republic Navy
Original: Birmingham Class Light Cruiser by ~madeinjapan1988 on deviantART

Specifications
Length: 900m (2,953 ft)
Height: 250m (820 ft)
Crew: 800 Crewmen 300 Non-Commissioned Officers, 100 Officers
Other: 1,500 Disembark-able Marines and Equipment, 150 Orbital Airborne (OA) Drop Troopers

Armament
- 6x 30inch Rain Guns (2 Per Turret)
- 18x 50 Missile Anti-Ship Weapon (900 Missiles Total)
- 150x Archer Long-Range Cruise Missiles (Anti-Ship Grade)
- 40x Point Defense Guns (20mm)
- 50x 200 megaton planetary assault nuclear weapons

Defenses
- 1m thick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
- Kinetic Shielding (3,000 GW/S Dispersion Rating)

Support Craft
- 20x Cheribum-Class Dropships
- 20x Skyhawk Long-Range Interceptors
- 200x OA Orbital Drop Pods
- Marine Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

History
The Birmingham-Class Light-Cruiser is one of the older ships still serving the United Earth Republic Navy. A hold over from the First Civil War, these relatively large warships were one of the most successful designs for the Republic Navy.

Lacking armor characteristic of the Heavy-Cruiser type, the Birmingham makes up for it with a high dissipation rate kinetic shielding system. This allows the ship to engage tonnage warships at range, using her high power Archer Cruise Missiles and Lance Short Range Missiles while keeping gun-rated warships out of weapons range.

Furthermore - the Birmingham was designed with modular electronics counter-warfare systems (ECW), making her an effective espionage platform - having enough speed to get in and out of a hot zone while retaining enough firepower to defend herself if discovered. Indeed, the Birmingham has become a favorite of the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) who has enlisted a number of these ships to serve as deep space intel coordination platforms.

By the breakout of the 2nd Civil War - most of the Birmingham-Class ships had been upgraded and refitted - making these ships a common site among destroyer task forces. Furthermore, given her role in planetary bombardment missions - confederated worlds often tremble when K-space ruptures give way to a group of these fast hitting behemoths.
75199.jpg
Post edited by madeinjapan1988 on
Tagged:

• madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
    Renown_Class_Battlecruiser_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Renown-Class Battlecruiser
    United Earth Republic Navy
    Original: Renown Class Battlecruiser by ~madeinjapan1988 on deviantART

Specifications
    Length: 1300m (4,265 ft)
    Height: 350m (1,135 ft)
    Crew: 1300 Crewmen 500 Non-Commissioned Officers, 200 Officers
    Other: 2,500 Disembark-able Marines and Equipment, 350 Orbital Airborne (OA) Drop Troopers

Armament
    - 3x 300inch Axial Rail Guns (Fixed)
    - 12x 50inch Rain Guns (4 Per Turret)
    - 1400x Missile Anti-Ship Weapon
    - 800x Archer Long-Range Cruise Missiles (Anti-Ship Grade)
    - 150x Point Defense Guns (20mm)
    - 120x 300 megaton planetary assault nuclear weapons

Defenses
    - 4m thick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
    - Kinetic Shielding (7,000 GW/S Dispersion Rating)

Support Craft
    - 35x Cheribum-Class Dropships
    - 25x Skyhawk Long-Range Interceptors
    - 400x OA Orbital Drop Pods
    - Marine Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

History
    The Renown-Class is one of the most feared warships of the UERN. One of the newest vessels in the fleet - it is the replacement for the quickly aging Dauntless-Class Battlecruiser; and if the Dauntless-Class had been the key to the Republic's success during the 1st Civil War, the Renown is the key to maintaining Republic control of the outer sphere colonies.

The Renown-Class represents some of the greatest advancements in technology. Mounting the traditional battlecruiser armament of 50-inch rail guns. However. The ship also mounts 3 150-inch fixed axial turrets usually reserved for dreadnoughts and superdreadnoughts. This translates into a massive engagement power - giving the Renown the ability to close on far lager warships and literally break them in half while presenting limited cross sectional area to the enemy. So much of the vessels design is geared to this tactics that the ship's already dense kinetic shielding can be focused completely forward - providing a 14,000 GW/s dissipation rate effective.

Furthermore, the Renown is equipped with a large element of Marines and OA troopers. This allows the vessels to serve as a sustained siege vessel and flagship for deployed troops and orbital fleets. Indeed, a Renown usually serves as the flagship among the cruiser task forces that roam the edges of inner sphere territory.
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    As always nice art, I hope your new venture goes well for you. This story seems intriguing looking forward to seeing more posts of Chronicles of Men. As for the the Lightcruiser it looks like a very thought out design for its mission parameters.

As for the Battlecruiser I didnt get to see it. Are you only posting this design on Deviant Art or are you planning to post it in the near future on SFM?

Keep up the good work!
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    I like it. I see some elements from Halo, Aliens, and Starship Troopers in the design. But maybe that's just me.

What's very impressive to me is how the heavy cruiser shares the same basic elements as the light cruiser. I see is as an evolutionary design rather than from a totally different design aesthetic.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    I really like these designs..Simple, believable, functional and clean...The way a good starship design should be!

More please!
    Digitizing the Birmingham - WIP 1

Bimingham_Class_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Wow that looks good. What program are you digitizing it in?

Edit: I should have just looked in your profile...:shiner:
    Coming Soon

The Chronicles of Man

(and yes, its Chronicles of Man now, Men sounded too sexually biased)
    Completed the Birmingham-Class

Lots of Detail on this one: Pay Attention to the weapons ranges, the weapon profiles (which detail the launcher design), etc.

ISA___Birmingham_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • The LAT-48 Dropship

ISA___LAT48___Warhorse___by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • RhadekRhadek0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work as usual. Love the amount of detail on the Birmingham Class also that it is of a your own imagination is something that appeals to me. Looking forward to seeing more of this universe techbase.
    love the Starfleet Marin---- I mean, drop ship there Josh. ;)

Just out of curiosity, are you planning on finishing the Venture or is that on indefinite hold now?
  • Flanker> I'm glad you like the verse. As January starts to get closer I will begin posting details on the tactics, technology, and style of things in the CoM universe.

CasualObserver> Yeah. I stole my own work. The reason being is that I felt like that design fit so well in this verse and what I wanted that giving it some more "angled edges" Cockpit elements, and the launchers made it feel far more human.

I'll probably be putting it on hold till I launch CoM in January. I've got lots of work to do on this stuff before I head back to Trek.
  • A work in progress of the uniforms worn by the Alliance Navy:

Alliance_Navy_Uniforms_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    Like the overall design but I don't really like the colored undershirt. It seems too Trek to me.

Perhaps have one color scheme each for enlisted, officers and admiralty with skill badges or emblems to designate field/ billet?
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    your universe is so wonderful! and these uniforms are looking very, very nice! :D
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Coming Soon

The Chronicles of Man

(and yes, its Chronicles of Man now, Men sounded too sexually biased)

nice splash page I dig it, if you need some help with the site give me a pm ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very good. Hope to see more your work soon.
    Looking great :) will you also create combat fatigues and combat armor for any space armed forces that will be on the ships (marines, army, space forces etc.)?
    I couldn't help myself so I took your not finished picture and started something two days ago.

;)
    74911.jpg
  • Mate, that looks awesome!

Is there any chance you want to take this further and could we chat so we get all the angles and such right? I'd be more then willing to work with you. You already did such a great job.

More coming as things progress.
    pm me or add me to msn Racktor[at]hotmail.com
    Good start indeed. Good to see this also come to live in 3d, good luck to you both with this, wish I could help out as well since it is looking more solid with every new post ;)
    Flanker wrote: »
    Good start indeed. Good to see this also come to live in 3d, good luck to you both with this, wish I could help out as well since it is looking more solid with every new post ;)

Thanks Flanker, also haven't forgotten about the accipter, did abit on the deflector the other day but I didn't like it so will be redoing it again!!!

new shot ;)
    74931.jpg
  • A work in progress shot of the mighty Renown-Class Battlecruiser:

Renown_Class_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    holy crap that things huge!!! makes the other ship look like a midget lol.
  • Updated Uniforms (Took some of your suggestions)

Alliance_Navy_Uniforms_WIP_2_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • A bigger update. Or at least a more detailed update.

Alliance_Navy_Uniforms_WIP_2_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • GalenGalen0 Posts: 0Member
    nice work dude!
    This looking quite good also love the cheer size of the Renown it fits quite well with the design lineage you put down with the Birmingham. And no need to worry Sly Assassin about the design this looks quite interesting as well so take your time ;)