Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DChronicles of Men: Original Universe Concept Art

• Tovette wrote: »
    LOL that image is almost 1:1 scale :p Great ship designs.

Heh, thanks mate! That is quite an honor coming form you.

Next up, the ISA's Winter Dawn-Class Destroyer:

ISA___Winter_Dawn_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry I haven't been around to comment Josh, but I was wallowing in self-pity after watching the Midshipmen once again beat the Black Knights.

How can I follow an officer into combat if he can't even beat some squids in a football game. :(

Everything looks great. I like how everything shares common design cues, but it very different. When are we going to see some more small craft? (fighters, shuttles, etc.?)
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    these are very nice designs. Good work
  • Coota0Coota0331 Posts: 66Member

How can I follow an officer into combat if he can't even beat some squids in a football game. :(

Easy; most of us didn't attend West Point
  • The Shadow Knight Class Frigate is the largest vessel in the Alliance Navy that can enter the atmosphere of a planet and her design reflects that. The ships aerodynamic shape is the product of improved efficiencies in atmospheric operations and maneuverability; and her massive dual counter-mass drives reflect her speed and agility in both space and air-combat.

This concept is married to a heavy weapons set of 2 10-inch rapid fire cannons (the same as those carried on a destroyer) along with 4 Anti-Ship Missile Pods in Forward Firing Launching configuration. In addition, the ship carries a number of anti small-craft missiles as well as 20mm cannons that are usually concealed.

Shadow Knight-Class

ISA___Shadow_Knight_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    Coota0 wrote: »
    Easy; most of us didn't attend West Point

I'm well aware. Thankfully my platoon leader was formerly an E-7, so he's cool. Our company commander, though, went to West Point. After his mandatory service, he stayed in the Guard. He's......a very precise man.
  • Coota0Coota0331 Posts: 66Member
    I'm aviation, so our ring knockers chill a little as they're exposed to Warrant Officers.:D
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    God damn Josh, I'm bearly 3/4 the way through the renown and you've got me wanting to make these last two designs asap!!!
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    I'll take two of the dreadnought, five of the destroyer, and ten of the frigate please.

Very nice ships, although I believe that the landing pad on the frigate may be a little hard to use above 1.3 m/s
    Coota0 wrote: »
    I'm aviation, so our ring knockers chill a little as they're exposed to Warrant Officers.:D

Warrant Officers are some cool guys. We have a WO4 in our unit, and I have no idea how he fits in the TO&E since it's a RSTA unit, but he's the ****. He was SF for a decade in the regular Army before coming into the Guard.

Anyways, those drawings look amazing Josh. I can't wait for Jan. to come and for you to unveil the entire project. :)
  • madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
    A new WIP of one of the Alliance Navy's main foes - the Coalition of Independent System's battlecruiser Prinz Eugen.

Do not let the CIS' name fool you. They are a brutal military dictatorship in everything but name. Operating behind a puppet government, they control worlds within their grasps via threats of total annihilation by a bloated military larger than even the massive Alliance fleet. Yet, despite their people are fiercely loyal - suffering from a sort of collective Stockholm syndrome so there is no shortage of willing military volunteers or ardent patriots within their borders.

CIS___Prinz_Eugen_Class_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Bubblehead ensigns start their careers in the back of the boat qualifying as Engineering Officers of the Watch (EOOW) and serving as Engineering Department division officers: Main Propulsion Assistant, Electrical Assistant, Reactor Controls Assistant, Chem-Radcon Assistant, and Damage Control Assistant Engineers. After a couple years aft, needs of the boat withstanding, they work on their Engineer quals, and often take jobs forward like Commo, Assistant Navigator, Sonar, et cetera while they qualify as Diving Officer and then Officer of the Deck for watch standing duties.

The only guy wearing shoulder boards on board who doesn't do anything like this is the Chop, or Supply Officer. He's not a line officer, and so will never have any command training or experience. Unless you're the Chop, submarine officers are all in the pipeline for eventual command of their own boat. Whether you ultimately get one or not is up to you and a little luck.

Surface ships, being larger and carrying larger crew complements, can afford to specialize a bit. This is where you get the Limited Duty Officers like Engineering Duty Officers, Doctors and Dentists, et cetera.

As always MadeInJapan, I am impressed by the quality of your draftsmanship and the sleek efficiency of your designs. Are you in nuke school yet? Prototype? Made it to the fleet yet?
    An update to the Eugen with a updated Renown as well (more missiles and such)

Enjoy!

CIS___Prinz_Eugen_Class_WIP_2_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Excellent work mate, love the hand drawn 'pantone' images you first posted. I actually think your 'Winter Dawn' Destroyer is my favorite design of the bunch. It's nice to see a theme running through all the ships, you can tell that they are all from the same fleet, you don't really see that anymore. Are you creating these in illustrator?
    hal wrote: »
    Excellent work mate, love the hand drawn 'pantone' images you first posted. I actually think your 'Winter Dawn' Destroyer is my favorite design of the bunch. It's nice to see a theme running through all the ships, you can tell that they are all from the same fleet, you don't really see that anymore. Are you creating these in illustrator?

Aye mate. Illustrator it.

Glad you like the designs and the continuity! That was my hopes. Create a clear "fleet" look for each group. Eugen is characteristic of what you will see from the Coalition.

Updates coming soon!
    The Colored Renown:

ISA___Renown_Class_Colored_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    as I said over AIM - that is bitchin'. :cool:
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Wondefull job on the paintscheme. Will you eventually also add fighters to the ship board complement? Since it has a dropship/shuttle bay.
    as I said over AIM - that is bitchin'. :cool:

Thanks dude. Glad you like the girl.
    Flanker wrote: »
    Wondefull job on the paintscheme. Will you eventually also add fighters to the ship board complement? Since it has a dropship/shuttle bay.

Thanks alot Flanker! That says quite a bit coming from you. As for the fighters, in this universe fighters are fairly useless against capital ships. Capital grade counter-mass shields are simply too powerful to be taken out by fighter grade weaponry. Consequently, in naval combat you will often see corvettes and cutters filling the role of "fighter", using their high accelerations and velocities to launch axial kinetic strikes on a target (that is to say, they fly at a target really fast and drop a huge lead slug which adopts the ship's velocity and slams into the enemy ala a dive bomber).

However, Siege Ships (essentially 5km long bulk carriers designed to serve both as transports and orbital gun platforms for supporting troops) do carry fighters to be deployed in a ground support role.

Alot of the tactics and such will be on the website when it goes live. (or at least will be added as the site progresses)
  • solariesolarie0 Posts: 0Member
    I have thrown my self into this, and made your ship at least one of them. Tho I took the liberty to have some modeller’s creativity on it.
    It isn’t don yet tho I have some small details left to add, but I can only do so much I 5 hours over 2 days.

Orion.jpg
    Orion_001.jpg
    Orion_002.jpg
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    madeinjapan1988; your universe is amazing! the thought you have put into it is obvious and I fell in love with your ship designs at first sight. They are elegantly minimalistic yet (as Douglas Adams put it) "excitingly chunky" and plain beautiful.
    Solarie; I don't want to seem presumptuous, replying to your post before madeinjapan1988 but i was Compelled! The model is obviously not a greeblefest like fractalsponge's stuff but this is a beautifully executed model.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks dude. Glad you like the girl.

Thanks alot Flanker! That says quite a bit coming from you. As for the fighters, in this universe fighters are fairly useless against capital ships. Capital grade counter-mass shields are simply too powerful to be taken out by fighter grade weaponry. Consequently, in naval combat you will often see corvettes and cutters filling the role of "fighter", using their high accelerations and velocities to launch axial kinetic strikes on a target (that is to say, they fly at a target really fast and drop a huge lead slug which adopts the ship's velocity and slams into the enemy ala a dive bomber).

However, Siege Ships (essentially 5km long bulk carriers designed to serve both as transports and orbital gun platforms for supporting troops) do carry fighters to be deployed in a ground support role.

Alot of the tactics and such will be on the website when it goes live. (or at least will be added as the site progresses)

Looking forward to seeing the site then. Already thought the fighters would be planetary support only. I do like fighters but have to agree that frigates, corvettes, cutters andsuch would do those roles quite well (and better firepower wise).

Will be interesting to see that siege ship though. Again keep up the good work.
    Flanker wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the site then. Already thought the fighters would be planetary support only. I do like fighters but have to agree that frigates, corvettes, cutters andsuch would do those roles quite well (and better firepower wise).

Will be interesting to see that siege ship though. Again keep up the good work.

Actually, There are a number of "siege" ships in the various navies. One such ship I will be posting soon is a Siege Cruiser. (SA). It is a variant of the Birmingham with a emphasis on missile capabilities and a 10-inch mass-driver that pumps out shells at 50 rounds a minute for orbital bombardments, etc.

The larger siege ships are classified as a Siege Barge. They are fairly slow moving vessels that rely on the rest of the fleet for support and defense but are also massive (as in, around 4-5km long). They usually carry nothing but landing ships, troops, ground vehicles, and air support. Though they also have a few guns for orbital bombardment.
    solarie wrote: »
    I have thrown my self into this, and made your ship at least one of them. Tho I took the liberty to have some modellerA’s creativity on it.
    It isnA’t don yet tho I have some small details left to add, but I can only do so much I 5 hours over 2 days.

Orion.jpg
    Orion_001.jpg
    Orion_002.jpg

Fantastic work btw mate. Not exactly what I was going for but an interesting interpretation no less.

Thanks for trying your hand at her!

More to come soon folks.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Whoah how could I have missed those updates ? (luckily Flanker told me to check out the thread) The ships are just amazing, especially in colour. The Birmingham is my favourite but the rest of the designs are just as good :thumb: I know it may sound strange but if a company like ILM did vfx for some movie with those ships, I would ride to the nearest IMAX to see one of those ! Looking forward to seeing more, as always !
    Whoah how could I have missed those updates ? (luckily Flanker told me to check out the thread) The ships are just amazing, especially in colour. The Birmingham is my favourite but the rest of the designs are just as good :thumb: I know it may sound strange but if a company like ILM did vfx for some movie with those ships, I would ride to the nearest IMAX to see one of those ! Looking forward to seeing more, as always !

Thanks mate! Glad you like it all.

Here are some updated uniforms for the Alliance Navy:

Alliance_Navy_Uniforms_New_WIP_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    The Prinz-Eugen Class Battlecruiser of the Coalition of Independent Systems.

This configuration belongs to the secretive intelligence organization within the coalition known as Guardian headed by the sinister and mysterious man known only as "The Chimera"

CIS___Prinz_Eugen_ClassThe_Pri_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Also, I have included an updated Renown that has been tweaked a bit.
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    The Prinz-Eugen Class Battlecruiser of the Coalition of Independent Systems.

This configuration belongs to the secretive intelligence organization within the coalition known as Guardian headed by the sinister and mysterious man known only as "The Chimera"

-SNIP-

Also, I have included an updated Renown that has been tweaked a bit.

Interesting to see that the Renown's missile throw weight is larger (especially with those cruise missiles factored in), but it's overall missile capacity appears smaller. I wonder if the large railguns in her bow are worth losing so much ammo capacity.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the ISA emblems on the previous page. I once tried to come up with a badge/logo/emblem like that for some project or other but failed quite miserably. Yours, however, is really good. Stylish, yet still plausible and hinting that it was developed from quite a history.
  • black campbellblack campbell0 Posts: 0Member
    The new uniforms seem way too busy and "sci fi series" like. Your second pass with the branch insignia was more realistic looking.