Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DChronicles of Men: Original Universe Concept Art

• FrostRaptorFrostRaptor0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent! I'll get back to you very shortly with ship and CO names.
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    no fair. He answered after only 30 minutes. I didn't even see the new post.

I got dibs on the next contest.
  • CIS___Prinz_Eugen_Class_Redux_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    Full View: http://www.deviantart.com/download/155550375/CIS___Prinz_Eugen_Class_Redux_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Coalition of Independent Systems
    People’s Prinz-Eugen Class Battlecruiser/Imperator-Class Watcher

Specifications:

Physical Attributes
    Classification: Battlecruiser (3rd Rate Ship of the Line)
    Length:1,965 (6,446 ft)
    Height:345m (1,132 ft)
    Width:350m (1,148 ft)
    Crew:3,200 Crewmen, 700 Non-Commissioned officers, 250 Officers
    Other:2000 Disembarkable Marines and Equipment or 50 Shock Troopers and Equipment (Prinz-Eugen)
    3000 Disembarkable People Security Troopers (Imperator)

Armament
    - 8x PSHMD-H40 40inch Capital-Grade Mass Drivers (4 in each turret)
    - 32x People’s Shipyard PSMD-X13Z 3inch Rapid fire Mass Drivers (4 in each turret - deployable)
    - 1x PSHMD-H80Z 80inch Capital-Grade Mass Driver (Axial Mount)
    - 78x PSML-19L “Double Longbow” Missile Racks (Type 42 Advanced Munition)

Defenses
    - 2.8mThick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
    - Counter-Grav Barriers (2,750 PW/S Dispersion Rating)
    - 152x People’s SHpyard PSPBD-132 2cm Particle Beam Repeaters (Deployable)

Support Craft – Prinz Eugen
    - 14x PDS-17H “Shrike” Gunship
    - 6x PHT-19M “Siren” Dropship
    - 2x “Red Dawn” Class Corvettes
    - People’s Marines Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

Support Craft – Imperator
    - 26x PDS-17H “Shrike” Gunship
    - 14x PHT-19M “Siren” Dropship
    - 4x “Red Dawn” Class Corvettes
    - People’s Marines Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

Propulsion and Power
    - 2x PSY-BC17 Zero Point Energy Core – 18,000 PW output
    - 1x PSBCCMD-14H (rated for maximum velocity of 0.8c and acceleration of 1100g)
    - 1x PSBCMG-CMD14H-BKup (rated for maximum velocity of .6c and acceleration of 720g)
    - 1x PSBC-MGH Katsumi-Fujita Gravitic Drive Unit (Independent and Termini Interface Modes)

History:

The Prinz-Eugen Class Battlecruiser is the last battlecruiser design to come out of the People’s Shipyard on David’s Star thanks to its recent destruction at the hands of a People’s Security task force. However, David’s Star went out with a bang and produced quite possibly the best Battlecruiser design to be employed by the People’s Navy. With only ten years in service thus far, the Prinz-Eugen has already become a feared sight in deep space.

The Prinz-Eugen retains the characteristic tubular hull of Coalition ships as well as the large, bow mounted mass-sensor array. However, where the latest Alliance ships mount still heavier counter-mass drivers for their main guns, the Prinz-Eugen retains the previous generations 40-inch and 80-inch guns. Furthermore, the Prinz-Eugen also uses the smaller Type 42 Advanced Munitions in its launchers rather than the larger, more powerful Type 49 AM round being incorporated into newer capital ships. Consequently, many tacticians question the effectiveness of the Prinz-Eugen in maintaining black-space superiority though its high support craft load out makes it one the few battlecruisers well suited for Loworb operations.

The Loworb functions are highlighted, however, on one of the sub-classes of Prinz-Eugen, the People’s Security’s Imperator-Class. The Imperator forgoes the 80inch bow guns on the Prinz-Eugen in favor of an expanded support bay with a small craft load out that rivals those aboard conventional battleships and dreadnoughts; and People’s Security has already put this feature to good use. In 2790, during her trials, Imperator responded to a crisis on the Coalition Industry world of Forge. Imperator’s rapidly deployed People’s Security troopers managed to quell a ten-thousand worker riot in under an hour and from that point forward, this sub-class of warship was seen as the go-to vessel for maintaining state control of Coalition territory.

However, the Alliances Office of Naval Intelligence has noted some glaring problems with the Prinz-Eugen design. First and fore-most, the Prinz-Eugen’s missile loadout is centered in the core region of the ship over a surface area that amounts to no more than 30% of the ship’s total broadside. This tight grouping makes the ship’s primary long-range armament extremely vulnerable to mass-failures should a weapon penetrate the barriers in that region. Furthermore, the main guns of the Eugen are in the same general region of the missiles, again amplifying the risk of “cutting the legs from under her” with a single, well aimed volley.

However, ONI warns that the Prinz-Eugen is not a ship to treated lightly. Its larger missile broadside and decently powered main guns make it a worthy adversary for even the latest Renown-Class warships and her armament matches the older King Henry-Class with ease. Furthermore, the Prinz-Eugen’s large support-craft flotilla makes it a major threat for ground-based garrisons should defending naval forces be defeated; and it’s main 80-inch gun will be effective against anything but the largest orbital fortresses.

Famous Ships of the Line

BC-2100----PNS PRINZ EUGEN
    BC-2150----PNS ADMIRAL HIPPER
    BC-2179----ANS VLADIMIR LENIN
    BC-2217----ANS COUNT HARRISON
    BC-2225----ANS COUNT LARIMY
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful job on the Prinz Eugen it is very inspirational... I almost would like to do something similar if I had the time! :D
    I like the way you put a lot of information behind the images and designs it really brings them even more to live.
  • FrostRaptorFrostRaptor0 Posts: 0Member
    OK, name mine Paladin and her captain will be Jefferson R. "Jolly Roger" Fletcher, Jeff to his friends. Woo hoo!!
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    Care to explain the watchers symbol on the Imperator class
  • I do care. Its something for the website/novel :D
  • vitiviti0 Posts: 0Member
    Just locked at your story on deviant art. It was good and I found the interactions between the characters realistic.
    However, I did not get a proper sense of scale (distances) for the battle. The good guys reach a certain point and fire missiles and then we see the result.
    What were the distances involved? I believe that a missile would need to travel for some time, before it reaches the target. On the other hand if you have ships moving towards one another at a fraction of the speed of light, the guns would have only seconds to engage, before the ships overshoot one another. Just something to consider.
  • madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
    viti wrote: »
    Just locked at your story on deviant art. It was good and I found the interactions between the characters realistic.
    However, I did not get a proper sense of scale (distances) for the battle. The good guys reach a certain point and fire missiles and then we see the result.
    What were the distances involved? I believe that a missile would need to travel for some time, before it reaches the target. On the other hand if you have ships moving towards one another at a fraction of the speed of light, the guns would have only seconds to engage, before the ships overshoot one another. Just something to consider.

Missile range is around 8,000,000 km. This is the maximum range a missile can go under power. You can fire a missile earlier on a ballistic trajectory but that makes them easy pickings once they get in range of a ships counter-missiles and point defense.

Gun range is around 500,000-600,000km depending on the targeting. That means that at maximum combat speed of 0.05c (for within a gravity well) with two ships heading at each other will pass through gun range in 15 seconds. That means at most they can get about 2 effective volleys off. However, where most missiles deliver about 2-3 gigatons of damage a single round from a mass-driver delivers in the couple hundred gigaton range. Consequently, ships that enter gun range are going to come out damaged one way or the other, it really boils down to who takes the most hits and consequently the most damage. So yes, they would be only for a couple seconds and yes I've considered that quite heavily in the dynamics of combat.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Personally, I think Frost Raptor is an interesting name for a Renown, or a fighter... Anyway, I just found this thread, I like the designs. The newer ones remind me of the Sajuuk from Homeworld 2, only cleaner. The CIS ships look like they're made from technology similar to the ISA, is that intentional? I could see the earlier blocky designs used for other space organizations. Your technical art skills are simply fantastic and enviable. :)

-Mike
    Missile range is around 8,000,000 km. This is the maximum range a missile can go under power. You can fire a missile earlier on a ballistic trajectory but that makes them easy pickings once they get in range of a ships counter-missiles and point defense.

Or you could fire a missile from far outside the maximum range, let it accelerate, then shut down it's drive and fire it up again, when it is nearer to the target. ( Would work if fleets are headed for one antother.)
    Gun range is around 500,000-600,000km depending on the targeting. That means that at maximum combat speed of 0.05c (for within a gravity well) with two ships heading at each other will pass through gun range in 15 seconds.

Interesting, why this 0.05c limitation? If a ship accelerates constantly it will eventually pass your limit.

Regarding the gun's range: Will they be able to hit anything at your max engagement range? Would not a ship have sufficient time to move out of the way, when the projectile is in flight (according to my calculations a ship would have about 18 seconds (considering both fleets closing speeds and 50km/sec projectile speed and range at fire of 600,000km) from the time of shot detection?
    max engagement range means you have over 50% chance of hitting your target and this percentage increases rapidly until a "knife fight range" of around 100,000km (100% chance of hit). So yes you can hit stuff at max range, no every round doesn't hit but in reality you don't need every round to hit. Each round delivers a couple gigatons of kinetic energy.

With regards to dodging, you have to realize that these ships don't just pull off of a .05c velocity direction change on a dime. It takes quite a bit of manuvering to pull the ship that weighs in at 7,000,000 tons off her present course and while they can do that, they just simply can't dodge ever round accelerating at .3c at them especially when a volley from a single battleship has a total of 16 of those rounds. However, outside of the engagement envelope time has increased to a point where they CAN effectively dodge every round coming at them and their A.I. cores and reaction thrusters can do all the math in time. Those are the things that limit gun range and while it may be slightly different for smaller ships (-50,000 km or so) and slightly higher for bigger ships (+50,000km) it sits fair comfortably around an average of 600,000KM

Why 0.05c limitation. Gravity shear. Within a gravity well, shear from the planet's own field reaches a point where the compensators simply can't keep up with higher speeds and the manuvering that comes with it. Now some smaller ships have higher top speeds in a well (such as a frigates .15c) but ships of the line (your battlecruiser, battleship, and dreadnought) have to pull a max of .05c.

As for missile shut downs. Yes you could, but if your enemy maneuvered at all between the time you fired it and the time you plan to bring its drive online, then it could end up being hopelessly out of range to the target. You wait till you are in a powered missile envelope because you want your missiles to be able to manuver to the target despite course changes and be able to dodge counter weapons. Not saying the method you indicate won't be used in "surprise strikes." On the contrary, it wouldn't be that far gone for a fleet to pounce on an enemy doing what you describe. An unpowered missile launch on a lumbering foe not expecting anyone that all the sudden flares up and heads in for the kill.
    Thanks for your reply. It certainly makes sense. However, what does not make sense to me is the following:
    Why 0.05c limitation. Gravity shear. Within a gravity well, shear from the planet's own field reaches a point where the compensators simply can't keep up with higher speeds and the manuvering that comes with it. Now some smaller ships have higher top speeds in a well (such as a frigates .15c) but ships of the line (your battlecruiser, battleship, and dreadnought) have to pull a max of .05c.

How can the actual speed be relevant? What is relevant is the acceleration. So say if you accelerate steadily at 1 gravity, you will in time pass 0.05c (you will of course take the same time to decelerate at 1 gravity acceleration). And if you have "compensators" in your story, which would make an acceleration of 100g feel like 1g to the crew, you can accelerate and decelerate i.e. manoeuvre to your heartA’s content at 100g, regardless of the actual speed you are travelling.

Regarding a planetA’s gravity field: It would exert the same force at a given distance on a ship regardless how fast it is flying by. So for example if you pass Earth at a distance of 100,000km, your ship will experience a certain gravitation pull, regardless of the shipA’s speed. However, if the ship is travelling slowly, this pull will affect a larger course change, then if the ship is travelling fast. The force exerted on the ship would stay the same in both cases (i.e. it will not be ripped apart if it travels fast).
    I agree with you completely that a planet's force doesn't change based on the velocity of the ship. However, what DOES change is the force of the ship's own engines acting on it. That is where you get a shearing force. See, ships in my universe obtain and sustain velocities using counter-mass fields. These fields are essentially negative-mass fields behind the ship produced by anti-gravitons (theorized by modern physics but not proven, yes I know. I also know anti-gravity hasn't been proven - this is why this is called Science Fiction not Science Fact). These fields, at higher velocities and higher accelerations require a stronger field and consequently create a larger force on the ship. For the most part, this force acts along a particular axial direction of movement and is an easy thing for a compensator to overcome. As a ship approaches a planet, however, another force of increasing strength begins acting on it. Usually this force is not along the same axial direction (or the direction of the ship's travel). As such, you now have two forces acting on the ship. The difference between these forces and how they interact is only amplified by the fact that one is a positive-mass (planet) force and the other is a negative-mass force. At these higher velocities and accelerations, the ship's own counter-mass (negative-mass) field is stronger and consequently the force on the ship is higher. As a result the gravitation shear is higher as both forces act on a ship. Now I agree with you that velocity doesn't matter, acceleration does but to maneuver effectively, you have to be able to overcome certain velocities and that means having an acceleration to overcome certain velocities to change course, etc. If a ship was traveling at its full extra gravity limit velocity of 0.7c and tried to maneuver the shear created by a planet's gravity well and all the other forces of the ship's maneuvering elements would literally rip a ship apart. As a result, ships are limited to 0.05c within a gravity well because at this speed, lower accelerations can be used to overcome the velocity in the same amount of time, retaining the ship's maneuverability and ensuring you don't end up breathing space. That is what I meant when I was talking about velocity and the maneuvering that comes with it. Velocity limit is a product of the safe accelerations you can undergo within a gravity well in conjunction with the types of maneuvers you want to be able to carry out. Smaller ships have a higher max velocity because a shearing force is described by the surface area on which it acts. Consequently a smaller ship will experience a smaller shearing force due to the gravity than a ship of the line which is much lager.

Hope that clears it up. Again I am not trying to make this something you can take and build next weekend. This is science fiction but there was quite a bit of thought into why and how these engines work and being an engineer I tried ti incorporate my knowledge from that.
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    thats looking great again.
    love it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    been following these images on deviant art for some time now, but just thought id say good work, some damn realistic ships you have here! looking forward to the dreadnought ;)
    Thanks all for the positive feedback. Here is some more!

ISA___Trafalgar_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW: http://www.deviantart.com/download/156301256/ISA___Trafalgar_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Intersystem Alliance Navy
    Trafalgar-Class Heavy Cruiser

Specifications:

Physical Attributers
    Classification: Heavy Cruiser (1st Rate Ship of the Lance)
    Length: 1,350m (4,429 ft)
    Height: 216m (708 ft)
    Width: 185m (606 ft)
    Crew: 1,200 Crewmen,400 Non-Commissioned officers, 150 Officers
    Other: 500 Disembarkable Marines and Equipment or 50 Orbital Airborne Drop Troopers and Equipment

Armament
    - 6x HMD-30H 30inch Capital-Grade Mass Drivers (3 in each turret)
    - 20x Daulin MD-49 2inch Rapid fire Mass Drivers (2 in each turret - deployable)
    - 4x HMD-60H 60inch Capital-Grade Mass Driver (Axial Mount)
    - 48x GML-59A “Dual Lance” Missile Racks (19 per broadside, 10 forward mounted Type 68 ADCAP Armament)

Defenses
    - 2m Thick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
    - Counter-Grav Barriers (1,000 PW/S Dispersion Rating)
    - 80x Daulin PBD-132 3cm Particle Beam Repeaters (Deployable)

Support Craft
    - 12x GOV-38 “Bounder” Gunship
    - 4x LAT-48 “Warhorse” Dropship
    - 150x OA Orbital Drop Pods
    - Marine Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

Propulsion and Power
    - 1x Zeus Type CA7Z Zero Point Energy Core – 8,000 PW output
    - 1x Rork MG-CMD-17L (rated for maximum velocity of 0.8c and acceleration of 1000g)
    - 1x Rork MG-CMD-17L-BKup (rated for maximum velocity of .6c and acceleration of 600g)
    - 1x Rork FTL-14-MGH Katsumi-Fujita Gravitic Drive Unit (Independent and Termini Interface Modes)

History:

The Trafalgar-Class Heavy Cruiser is the newest design produced at any of the Alliance Navy Shipyards and is the premier warship in Alliance Space. With a Missile payload that rivals the 10 year young Renown-Class Battlecruiser, the Trafalgar has the firepower to engage the largest lance ships in any navy and can even tango with a battlecruiser if need be. However, armament is not what really makes the Trafalgar stand out. Instead, her true prowess is in a whole new series of electronic counter-warfare technologies, A.I. technologies, and a new missile launching system.

Trafalgar-Class is the first ship to be fitted with the GML-59A “Dual Lance” Missile Racks (essentially a modified GML-58B) which can fire the latest (and slightly larger) Type 68 ADAP. The Type 68 ADCAP is the latest in munitions technology for the Alliance Navy. Having the exact same yield of the previous design, the Type 68 doesn’t improve on the Type 58’s already impressive destructive power. Instead, the Type 68 uses the addition space to include a new level of Electronic Counter Warfare (ECW) Systems. In fact, initial testing showed that the Type 68 was over 20% more effective at penetrating a target’s own ECW defenses and at least 10% more effective at scrambling the target’s defenses.

However, Trafalgar’s technological edge does not end there. The ship’s own internal ECW system is nearly 30% larger than the ECW system carried on Trafalgar’s predecessor, the Birmingham-Class. Furthermore, the Trafalgar’s bridge module is significantly larger than on previous. This provides a larger mounting surface for the ECW screens and improves the command, control and communication space on the Trafalgar. This means that the Trafalgar can effectively take over anti-missile control from larger ship’s of the line, allowing the larger capital ships to focus computer power to their own ECW and tracking systems.

Currently, only twenty Trafalgar-Class ships have been constructed and are going through initial trials, with the first ten ships already commissioned into service and deployed on operations missions. Furthermore, numerous technologies classified by the Office of Naval Intelligence and the Bureau of Weapons are currently in development to utilize the computer control and A.I. capabilities of the Trafalgar which, pending results from post-commissioning trials, looks to be a common sight in Alliance and Verge space.

Famous Ships of the Line

CA-9700----ANS TRAFALGAR
    CA-9703----ANS GETTYSBURG
    CA-9715----ANS SHENANDOAH
    CA-9718----ANS MIDWAY
    A Page from the 2780 edition of Jaeyn's Fighting Ships - the Premier Journal for modern naval theory in the late 28th century.

Here, we see the largest ship classes of the Alliance Navy (minus the dreadnought).

Alliance_Naval_Superiority_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW: http://www.deviantart.com/download/156306790/Alliance_Naval_Superiority_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wow, that's a huge ship!!! very cool! :D
  • daveisstriderdaveisstrider0 Posts: 0Member
    those ships look fantastic and bloody HUGE.
    Sorry I've been gone for a while all. Been super busy as of late. Today's update is a work in progress shot of the massive star-chart I am doing for CoM.

Hope you all enjoy!

-Josh

CoM_Starchart_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW: http://www.deviantart.com/download/158717122/CoM_Starchart_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Neato.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    pretty cool, whats with the corridors though?
    Lee80 wrote: »
    pretty cool, whats with the corridors though?

There are two types of FTL in this universe. Counter-mass engines can propel a ship in gravity (or k-space) space FTL where they experience 1 light year every 1-2hours (depending on the engine). However, even at this speed, it would take two years to cross Alliance space. Fortuitously, there are things called gravity termini. They are natural folds in gravity space that connect two distant points. Once a gravity termini and the one it connects to has been plotted, they become known as "gravity corridors" and allow for instantaneous travel between the points. These represent extremely important strategic points in space (for obvious reasons).
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    ah, cool explanation...
    And I'm back! This time with a destroyer.

ISA___Winter_Dawn_Class_No_Fin_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW: http://www.deviantart.com/download/161250707/ISA___Winter_Dawn_Class_No_Fin_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Intersystem Alliance Navy
    Winter Dawn-Class Destroyer

Specifications:

Physical Attributers
    Classification: Destroyer (4th Rate Ship of the Lance)
    Length: 900m (2,952 ft)
    Height: 190m (623 ft)
    Width: 160m (524 ft)
    Crew: 600 Crewmen, 100 Non-Commissioned officers, 50 Officers
    Other: 250 Disembarkable Marines and Equipment and 25 Orbital Airborne Drop Troopers and Equipment

Armament
    - 6x HMD-25H 25inch Capital-Grade Mass Drivers (2 in each turret)
    - 8x Daulin MD-49 2inch Rapid fire Mass Drivers (2 in each turret - deployable)
    - 14x GML-58B “Dual Lance” Missile Racks (Type 58 ADCAP Armament)

Defenses
    - 1m Thick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
    - Counter-Grav Barriers (600 PW/S Dispersion Rating)
    - 50x Daulin PBD-132 3cm Particle Beam Repeaters (Deployable)

Support Craft
    - 8x GOV-38 “Bounder” Gunship
    - 2x LAT-48 “Warhorse” Dropship
    - 100x OA Orbital Drop Pods
    - Marine Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

Propulsion and Power
    - 1x Zeus Type DD9Z Zero Point Energy Core – 6,000 PW output
    - 1x Rork MG-CMD-19L (rated for maximum velocity of 0.8c and acceleration of 1200g)
    - 1x Rork MG-CMD-19L-BKup (rated for maximum velocity of .6c and acceleration of 600g)
    - 1x Rork FTL-15-MGH Katsumi-Fujita Gravitic Drive Unit (Independent and Termini Interface Modes)

History:

COMING SOON

Famous Ships of the Line

DD-12800----ANS WINTER DAWN
    DD-12935----ANS SUMMER SOLSTICE
    DD-13043----ANS SPRING HORIZON
    DD-13067----ANS HERALDING DAWN
    DD-13078----ANS NEBUCHADNEZZAR WALL
    DD-13098----ANS RIVER THAMES
    DD-13148----ANS JORDAN CROSSING
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    As cool as the designs you've come up with are, I think they all look too similar. Your original approach to the Chronicles of Man featured a more diverse design philosophy, which I think was one of your strong points. Now all of the Alliance ships look more or less identical, aside from size and minor detailing, and while the basic design is certainly good, I think more variance in design would be better.

Still, the Winter Dawn is a good looking little ship. :thumb:
    I wanted these ships to look alike. That was a very intentional move. Because you have all these human nations constrained by the same physics, I wanted the ships to be instantly identifiable as "Alliance" "Coalition" etc. I'm sorry there is not enough variation for you but its about as much variation as you see in star destroyers (except for the outliers which are very different/etc.). To each their own mate. Its the direction I wanted to go and I'm extremely happy with it.

Thank you for the feedback however. I will try to add a bit more flavor to it with other designs that come up. (part of the thing too is that these designs are going to be generational) Cheers.

Here was a little fun drawing I did. It is a scaled ship for ship image of the vessels of the 2nd Fleet. One of the Alliances 12 main fleets.

Enjoy :D

The_2nd_Fleet___Battle_Line_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/109/3/1/The_2nd_Fleet___Battle_Line_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg