Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG- Battlestar Raven

• arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry about the delays. I finally got a break from work to get a texture on the mesh. The base is a light gray with a hull pattern attached to the Diffuse setting. A dark gray with the same diffuse is applied to some of the raised hull plating, and a crimson color again with the same diffuse is applied to the hull. I am unsure on whether or not to apply windows to the forward hull, but most of what remains is lighting the model and applying some weathering.

As always, thoughts, questions, and critiques are always welcome...

Rob
    74330.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Great to see this again! A nice update! I like the texture so far. The only thing I would suggest is to maybe make the gray a slight bit lighter? Just my own opinion. Looks great, and I look forward to what's next!
    I hate hair. That being said, I apologize for the delay in updates. so without any further ado, the updated hull texture. As a side note, I still have to go in and texture the guns and light the model, but I think the base colors are good. I didn't want to have too much of a contrast between the lighter and darker hull plating, but as always, comments and complaints are welcome.

Rob:argh:
    75678.png75679.png75680.jpg75681.png
    Wow... that looks beautiful! I think the hull textures looks great... not too light, and not too dark. Sweet work! Can't wait to see her in a full space scene render, right and proper, complete with a Viper CAP flying alongside. :)
  • seansean0 Posts: 0Member
    great ship.you have done a very nice job..
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    SheA’s in the road for a long time, and now is turnning out very well. :)
    About the textures, I canA’t see them in fact. IA’m seeing the plates, and they are well executed, but not the textures in fact. I believe you need to refine them a little more. ;)
    If interested, these ones can give you the idea:
    ItA’s about aztecs, but the concepts are the same in any job: Meshweaver Index
    This one is the best I ever found: CGTalk - Tutorial:Hard Surface Texture Painting
    Hope that helps. ;)
    Thanks, I have a texture mapped to the diffuse attribute of the shader node. For some reason it doesn't show up like it should in some shots. I will be tweaking the shaders to get the look I want. I have looked at the MeshWeaver tutorials, in fact, most of the nurnies on the model I purchased from MeshWeaver. Included is a sample of what it should look like close up. The texture image is from the Designfera SciFi Texture set 1 I purchased on Renderosity...

I have most of the lights set up on the model, particularly the landing bay and some of the hull surface lights. I will need to go back and watch 'Pegasus' again to get a good idea of the light placement.

Rob
    75689.png
    "RAZOR" would also be a good movie to watch again, as we get to see a LOT of the hangar bay in that.
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    I love it.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    It is awesome to see this ship still in production, and in style. I like the patterns for the red stripes and how the turrets are not distributed like in other classes.
    I hope that soon you'll also post a view of the ship's belly, if that is ok:D.
    Keep it up!:thumb:.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work there arashikami, This ship is really coming along well:thumb:
    Thanks, it has been a bumpy few months trying to keep everything in balance but the payoff is in sight. Once the guns are textured I will start work on the Viper Mk IV to go with the Raven, possibly some of the other ships by Ravenstar Studios as well....The Cronus variant is also on the list to assemble, but that is just replacing the Raven's Flight pods with heavy gun pods.

Rob
    I look forward to seeing the Vipers!
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Its been awhile, but the updates on the Ravenstar look cool. Looking forward to more updates on this beauty.
    Here is a little something to whet your appetite...

Way back when SciFi was running their little BSG contest, they posted a punch of clips and sfx to use in creating your own clip. Myself and a couple of others decided to give it a shot, but before we finished the contest ended and I shelved the project. Recently I have been getting up to speed on some new compositing software and have decided to finish the clip to be posted....

The Raven won't be used for the clip, however, since it doesn't fit in with the story I wrote for the clip. The two actors are co-workers, costumes made by me, and the the patches and rank insignia from Intergalatic Trading Company...

Testimage1- Basic lighting scheme with a blue tint
    Test2- improved lighting schemes, Raptor model by Karl (used with permission)

Rob
    75840.jpg75841.jpg
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    The test number one looks better to my eyes. :)
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    the lighting on test two is a tad too harsh, my vote is test 1.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    In test 1 the lighting matches pretty well for both elements, but I think the browny lighting scheme of the second one is more BSG's style. The background is just a bit too dark compared to the characters there, though.
    Interesting!
    I did the shoot, which is about 2-3 minutes, a few years ago when I was just getting into Maya. The most valuable lesson I learned in the shoot is not to shoot against a green screen when everyone is wearing green. Of course, there are a couple of compositing programs out there that can fix this issue, which is why it is on my slate to revisit, redo the sets, and finalize. The finished product will probably look more like the first pic.

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    HereA’s a pic of a Mod in development and itA’s already existing Models
    Modelling Guess the poly count.. - The X Universe Forums

Edit: Thanks for your thoughts BolianAdmiral but it wasnA’t meant as spam. There are some nice models of the BSG ships and I only wanted to share them with the Battlestar Raven Modeler. If you think my post is spam then PM a mod and ask for deletion instead of complaining here.
    ^

The above post is spam, spam, and nothing but spam. A Mod ought delete it.
    I set aside the lighting part of the model for the moment to revisit the Viper Mk IV. After looking at the design for a while, I decided to start over with a more blended version that had elements of both the Mk II and the Mk VII. I tossed in an old school cockpit for looks, and I am going to hybrid the circular and hexagonal exhaust vents for a vectored thrust look like I had on the first version of the Mk IV. I am thinking of cutting modular slots into the wings for missile pods, and perhaps build up beneath the engines for a bomb rack of some kind...

I also finally saw BSG: The Plan....loved the Valkyries...:thumb:

Rob
    77164.jpg77165.jpg77166.jpg77167.jpg
    Sweet Viper... sleek and angular. I'm glad you liked "The Plan"... the whole attack on the Colonies was awesome.
    Here is a update on the Mk IV. I added a vectored thrust system to the main engines and smoothed out the wing surfaces as well as started the cockpit layout. I will soften the edge of the nose next and start blocking in some of the nose and upper engine detailing.

Rob
    77305.jpg77306.jpg77307.jpg
    Nice... I like the idea of a VTOL Viper... way cool. Is this also a stealth bird?
    My thoughts on the design lineage of the Viper is the original BSG Viper is the Mk I. The Mk II was introduced during the First Cylon War. The Mk III is basically an improved Mk II, much like the F/A-18E is an improvement over the original F/A-18 (not to mention larger, heavier, and capable of carrying more weapons). The Mk IV is the attempt to create a highly maneuverable fighter that can function as both an interceptor as well as attack. It could have some stealth profiling, but I don't really see it as a steathstar. I saw the original viper sketch by McQuarie and thought it might work out well as a dedicated attack/bomber fighter. It is on my list of BSG models to do, but a bit further down on the list. Once I get the Cronus variant of the Raven finished I will move on the Thor class Warstar.

Rob
    I really like that Viper.
    I have a question, it may be silly, but what does the opening at the front of the viper's nose serve? Is it an intake, sensor bay, emergency thruster? I was thinking about putting a sensor unit in the nose as well as in the port/starboard nose, then adding in the RCS. I have cut slots in the bottom of the wings for external ordinance, and fired up my copy of Poser to get a figure scaled just right to build the cockpit around. I already have the noseart for the Viper ready to go courtesy of BolianAdmiral (Thanks again:thumb:)

Rob
    arashikami wrote: »
    I have a question, it may be silly, but what does the opening at the front of the viper's nose serve? Is it an intake, sensor bay, emergency thruster? I was thinking about putting a sensor unit in the nose as well as in the port/starboard nose, then adding in the RCS. I have cut slots in the bottom of the wings for external ordinance, and fired up my copy of Poser to get a figure scaled just right to build the cockpit around. I already have the noseart for the Viper ready to go courtesy of BolianAdmiral (Thanks again:thumb:)

Rob

Thank YOU Rob! I'm absolutely honored to have something to do with this!

Regarding the nose opening, I think that it's some kind of air intake for atmospheric/sky flight, and is probably closed/blocked during spaceflight... but I could be wrong.