Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG- Battlestar Raven

• StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    SheA’s coming along in a very nice way. Keep doing the good work!
  • arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Just a short update. Started work on the rear main hull, but I am unsure how much detail should be included. I've posted two pictures, one with a lot of pipes and detail, and the other with minimal piping but clean hull plating. I am going to put a grill in the recesses of the center tower with some blue or red glow.

On the flip side, found this while hunting for new minis...
    Iron Wind Metals Online

Rob
    70718.jpg70719.jpg
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    I believe the second one looks much better. :)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1119 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,572Member
    Aye, I like the second one better, as well. :)
    Moving right along. Here are some basic color images with basic 3 point lighting.
    The FTL cap is detailed, and the interior grill is over a block with a simple glow shader attached. Looking at the model under the lights I think I need to make some of the detail plates more prominent. Just some more detailing on the wing trenches and I think I can start adding color.

Rob
    70757.jpg70758.jpg70759.jpg70760.jpg
  • RavenstarRavenstar0 Posts: 0Member
    very nice . yea the more detailed part is much better. helps fill the large area between the outer engines and the jump engine.
    Absolutely awesome.
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    Might I suggest flattening out the engines abit.
    Just a suggestion however it's looking great!
    I will look at it tonight and do a comparison with the miniature. The past few days I have been trying to work out a bug in my computer. I think I have it smoothed out, but just to be on the safe side I did a major backup of all my files...

The last bit of detailing for the first pass is under way, and hopefully I can get some more images posted in the next couple of days. Does anyone know where I can get some really good shots of the interior of the flight pods? I have just basic interiors laid out in the pods, with most of the deck details going to be texture maps(runways, insignias, etc). Anyone have any ideas on further detailing that the mesh needs?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Here is one pic... I'm working on a couple more... :)

pod1.gif
    A few more for you... :)

pod2.gif

pod3.gif

pod4.gif
    Thanks, I'll start breaking down elements and sections for modeling tonight.

Rob
    No problem, Rob... if you need more, just let me know! :)
    First up, The drive comparisons. I duplicated and Z-scaled down one of the engines. I have included several views of the two sizes. I am starting to lean towards the scaled down nacelle because it looks a bit more sleek. The mnore I work on the mesh the more detailing I can see that needs to be done. Especially since there is an odd deformation on the front of each drive...I guess some more cutting of faces is needed to smooth that out.
    Any one have any suggestions?

Rob
    70914.jpg70915.jpg70916.jpg70917.jpg70918.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I think the lower profile engine looks better.
    In addition to the drive comparison, I added some details to the wings of the ship. In all honesty, the wings of the mesh are starting to bug me. I think what I need to do is cut the drive section of the mesh off and model it separately, and remodel the wings to get rid of the trench. :eek:

Back to pushin' polys....

Rob
    70921.jpg70922.jpg
    Well, problems aside, it all looks great! :)
    Here is a rough model of the Vipers that fly on the Raven. Mk 4 variants that I wanted to have the feel of being between the Mk 2 and the Mk 7. I did the original mesh side by side with the Raven, and I will get this mesh cleaned up and detailed properly once the Raven is finished.

Rob
    70973.jpg70974.jpg70975.jpg70976.jpg
    Interesting Viper design. I like it... nice and sleek.
    Clean , but may I say the cockpit is to far back it should be center mass on the frame!
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    I am really liking the Raven, it looks like if even lost the competition against the Mercury class to be a top-of-the-line ship, the Admiralty should still build some of these beauties because it really have some punch and there has to be quite some mission roles this ship can take with no problems :thumb:
    And the discussion about the ship classes is very interesting, and I am also curious about what would have been the class name of the Valkyrie.
    Darkone wrote: »
    Clean , but may I say the cockpit is to far back it should be center mass on the frame!

I agree that the scaling is off, I will probably shrink the nose of the Viper to even it out some. What does everyone think about a two-seat attack/recon variant. I have been dealing with some issues at work which has been keeping me busy this past week. Hopefully I can get some updates in the mix by this weekend.

When I was painting my mini of the Raven, I worked up a short story behind it and why there were never many built to begin with, which I will post a link to the story when I feel the short is fleshed out enough for readers.

Rob
    arashikami may I ask what the Scaling for this model of your?

A friend of mine also has the mini but it was suggested it a a variant of The Mercury Class, and that it was a tactical first strike deterrent if I remember correctly, but that was all based on this individual wording!

What do you envision yours to be or are you staying to the purest format of the model??
    Sorry about the delays. Work has been hectic as of late and the wing surfaces of the model have been giving me fits. I have basically smoothed out the wings and I will have to go back and touch up the detailing for the expanded surfaces. The drive section of the model has been detached and is ready for further detailing with the scaled down engines.

Darkone wrote: »
    arashikami may I ask what the Scaling for this model of your?

A friend of mine also has the mini but it was suggested it a a variant of The Mercury Class, and that it was a tactical first strike deterrent if I remember correctly, but that was all based on this individual wording!

What do you envision yours to be or are you staying to the purest format of the model??

I don't have set scale as of yet. I think the Raven is similiar in size to the Mercury class. It would fill the same role as the Mercury class, but instead of having the heavy forward fixed railguns, it would have those heavy railguns mounted in turrets along the dorsal wings and the ventral forward hull. The modular design of the hull would allow for quick replacement of parts, and the flight pods could be removed and replaced with the massive railguns mounted on the Cronus Warstar. Once I get the model finished I will put it in the proper scale.

Rob
    I like the idea of modular sections... from a construction standpoint... especially one on a military budget, it makes a lot of sense.

When I look at this ship, I see something much larger than the Valkyrie, but smaller than the Galactica... I can't see how it could be much larger, going by the size of the gun turrets, but maybe I'm missing something?
    I originally based the size of the turrets off the miniature. I may go back and rescale them to a more appropriate size once the mesh is finalized. The original guns I had on the Cronus in lieu of the flight pods need a complete redo to make them look more streamlined, and more aggressive.

BTW, is anyone going to Siggraph this year?

Rob
    Mean Looking thats for sure.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work on this fine ship.
    Sorry about the lack of updates...I just got back from Siggraph. I will render out some new shots tonight and post them for everyone's comments.

Rob
    Sweet... looking forward to it. :)