Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG- Battlestar Raven

arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
My name is Rob, and I have been working in 3D for a few years now. One of my first serious attempts at modeling has been Ravenstar Studios Raven class Battlestar. Right now most of the serious details are on the ship's flight pods.

I know there is a lot more details to add to the model, and my question for the more experienced members is how to add more detail to a model without overloading my system. I am running a quad core 2.3 proccessor with 4GB of ram. My program of choice is Maya 2008

Thanks,
Rob
68030.jpg
68036.jpg
68037.jpg
Post edited by arashikami on

• CXCX0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it, it definitely fits in well with the other Battlestar designs we've seen. My only real nitpicks are that I think all the main guns should be the same size, and I think the three you have in the center of the flight pods are too close together to move very effectively.
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    This is one mean looking Battlestar, looking forward to seeing more updates.
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    The design is a very good one, and it seems to be contemporary to Mercury class ships. Keep it up! :thumb:
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    arashikami wrote: »
    I know there is a lot more details to add to the model, and my question for the more experienced members is how to add more detail to a model without overloading my system.
    I use Max, so I can't give specifics, but I assume Maya must have some sort of system to hide/unhide objects. Having things broken up into separate parts to detail and only having them all together and unhidden for full ship renders should help.

Nice looking ship so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I like this one. It looks like a Battlestar that has the hull of a Whitestar
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey great work.
    And yes in maya what i tend to do is hide objects (Ctrl+h)that i am not working on at the moment.
    Nice work cant wait for more updates.:thumb:
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    great start on this battlestar; i'm using max, and there are layers; you could add the geometry in different layers and then you could hide this layer.
    It's a good thing organize the layers in the following way: you could create "Big Panels" layer where you add the big panels; again create a "Small Panel"...In this way you could hide/unhide the details when you need it!
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Cool battlestar!
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    It's a great looking Battlestar:thumb:

What's the poly count so far?

How detailed do you want to go with it?
  • arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Right now the poly count stands at about 800,000, with most of the details coming from the Flight Pods and Railguns. The different sizes of the railguns was taken off the miniature which I based the mesh on.

Ravenstar Studios - BSG Miniatures

Ultimately I would like a very detailed model. The color texture on the model is not the final colors I would like to use, I may end up creating a texture pattern that combines the colors of the Galactica and the Pegasus.

I think the first think I need to change is the forward upper hull of ship, to make it a bit more angular. I started building this model some time ago, but had to set it aside because of work and life in general, but after seeing Ice-Dragon's Valkyrie models, I knew I had to get the Raven finished. Hopefully I will have some time to work on it this weekend....after ST of course...

Rob
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty cool! :thumb:
  • froggi3froggi3336 Posts: 25Member
    Frak yeah:)
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    Finally a fresh idea in over a year on BSG!
    Good work
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Wow... I REALLY love this design! She looks awesome! :D
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    I like Raven desing for almost year, since i accidentaly found that page. IA’m going to look on this thread in future again and again.:D One question: Are you planning to make more models from Raven studios?
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    There some cool designs in that page, so I hope yes :D
    Keep it up, I am looking forward to see this ship completed :thumb:
  • mladen225mladen225171 Posts: 0Member
    I agree with the other comments, the design very good and realistic. It seems to be one of the smaller bettlestars (looks like it is 1/2 the length of the Galactica), so what are here dimensions?

And, of course, give as some more views.
    Dr.Sleep wrote: »
    I like Raven desing for almost year, since i accidentaly found that page. IA’m going to look on this thread in future again and again.:D One question: Are you planning to make more models from Raven studios?

I've used the basic shape to create the Cronus Warstar varient, but the weapon pods need more work. I've laid out a basic shape for the Thor WarStar and it is on my list for future modeling. I own quite a few of the miniatures from Ravenstar Studios and I would like to get models done of the Victory, Panther, and Crow.

Right now I am working on re-designing the forward hull with more surface detail. Hopefully I can get the model to a point where it is both detailed and small in file size

Rob
  • Kronos 1Kronos 10 Posts: 0Member
    :o The Titan A and Titan B... never knew about that site, nice ships. Like the Atlas.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    [yodaA’s voice]Update it you must have to. Running fast the cylons are...[/end yodaA’s voice]

Ooops, wrong show... :D Keep the updates coming!
    I agree with the other comments, the design very good and realistic. It seems to be one of the smaller bettlestars (looks like it is 1/2 the length of the Galactica), so what are here dimensions?

And, of course, give as some more views.

I honestly believe it around the same size as a Mercury Class Battlestar according to original specks a I saw a few years ago.

A friend of mine has a the 5 inch fleet with design drawings.

According to it it was an advanced Tactical Battlestar if I remember correctly!
    But hell it's what ever the author wants it to be as far as I'm concern as long as it has prompt updates and lots of them!
    With some luck I should have an updated hull posted by the end of the week. I have been experimenting with different ways to create hull plating that is both low poly and good detail, so when I post I would like some feedback on the look from everyone and if anyone has any pointers they would be greately appreciated.

Rob
  • NodymeNodyme0 Posts: 0Member
    may I ask why every 2nd launchtube seems to be upside down?

anyways, great modelled ship, considering the miniature you started off, its very well done work!
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    Nodyme wrote: »
    may I ask why every 2nd launchtube seems to be upside down?

anyways, great modelled ship, considering the miniature you started off, its very well done work!

The double-flight pod battlestars can both launch and land their vipers upside-down relative to the rest of the ship

Quite how the launch tubes work I'm not sure, since unless they slant ever so slightly, they presumably lead to the same deck.

In any case, Pegasus did the same thing :)
    YIIMM is correct. Every other Launch Tube is inverted because of the dual flight pod configuration. I am not exactly sure how the process works, but I based the pattern on what I saw on the Pegasus.

Rob
    Here is a quick update plus some additional detail pics. On the left is the updated forward hull with more detail, and on the right is the original forward hull. I will add more detail to the two extruding 'wings' of the forward hull. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the overall look so far?

The hull details were added by duplicating the different faces with some judicious subdividing and extruding to create the armor plates. The plates were lowered back onto their parent surface.

Also, there is a closeup of the Viper Launch Tubes and a detail image of the flight pods that face towards the center of the Battlestar. More to come...

Rob
    68886.jpg68887.jpg68888.jpg68889.jpg
    Wonderful, Keep up the good work.
    One thing I should point out on the launch tube closeup- The 'bookends' on either side of the launch tubes are two point defense guns that I based off the Galactica's. These weapons are in 'rest' mode with the gun barrels lowered to the body. Will post a close up of the guns soon.

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Yeah, I think the number of launch tubes for each battlestar is kind of general, but as it was said before, the tubes are inverted. However, the ends are sort of "flipped" in relativity to the "upright" position of the ship. This means that a viper will launch out "upside-down" compared to another who has launched "right-side up."
    Good work on the battlestar, and I can't wait to see more :)
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    Really amazing work. I love the panels, and the launch tubes!
    Darkone