Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG- Battlestar Raven

• arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, I will try to post updates more frequently. Once I get the Dorsal plates in place I will create some Ventral plates, then go down the ship's body until I get to the engines.

Rob
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    Well that will definatly show the progress.
    sorry about the lack of updates. Today we have some closeups for the point defense guns as well as more ventral detail for the forward hull.
    69657.jpg69658.jpg69659.jpg
    Looking better every time I see this thing.
    Keep up good work.
    I've started moving down to the main hull for detail work. One of the things I will do is put ribs on the ventral main hull to add elements from the Galactica as to show design progression. Once I get the first detail pass completed, I will go back and add further details to certain parts of the hull.

Rob
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I'm just curious, are there any orthos of this design anywhere online? It's a really awesome design.
    I'm just curious, are there any orthos of this design anywhere online? It's a really awesome design.

The design is based on a miniature from Ravenstar Studios.

Now for the update. With the ribs in place, I worked on the panel detail for the rest of the Ventral surface. With this detailing in place, I will go back and look over the overall design and see what parts need further development. I will also look at the texture maps needed to give the design its final color.

Rob
    70079.jpg70080.jpg70081.jpg
    So simple yet so great!
    Your doing a fine job!
    Thanks, I should get some more images up this week. Just a little more detail on the Dorsal side, particularly the wings.

Rob
    Well my friend hurry up!

Some of us are waiting with baited breath!
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    I agree, because the Raven looks awesome, I am very amazed on such a great job you have been doing, specially because I don't think I have seen more references for the miniature design.
    And I wouldn't mind seeing this cool ship in videos or in games like Diaspora:D.
    Keep it up!:thumb:
    Aye, I am anxiously awaiting updates! :)
    Ask and ye shall receive :idea:

Just a bit more detailing this week... As I was slicing and dicing the polys, I realized I still had a bit more to do for next week, particularly the aft section of the main hull. Need more detailing around the FTL engines....

I need to make a few sketches, break out the BSG DVDs, and get some inspiration...

Rob
    70501.png70502.png70503.png70504.jpg
    Holy God, those are amazing... these were well worth the wait! :)
    Just a followup...spent last night looking at the Dorsal wing sections as well as the drive section. Found some good images of models mastered by Alfred Wong, a true master in my opinion, and I ended up removing the extruded hull plates of the dorsal wings in order to 'greeble' it like the rest of the hull. Cut off the FTL cap from the rear of the ship for detailing...

Rob
    I'm just wondering... but it looks like this baby is either roughly the same size, or just a tad bigger than the Valkyrie... am I right?
  • RavenstarRavenstar0 Posts: 0Member
    Holy Moly!!!!, Rob , why in the world were you hidding this from me ,,, god that looks great. Man next time shoot me a email when you do some thing like this , I love it.
    Hey if any one is wondering , i love seein gmy designs get taken to the next level.
    you take on the Raven is dead on. though i'm not a big fan of the ribbed look , looks nake. lol the bottom works. i had thought about making Pegasus style landing pods like you did , but i was just too lazy to do so. can't wait to see what you do to the cronus .
    To you questions about size , the raven is about 3/4 the mass , but larger than the valkyrie.
    besides the model , a few people over at the wolfs shipyards have thier own take on it and a few of my other designs. If anyone else wnats to use my designs you are more than welcome to , but let me know ,i'd love to see your work. peace .
    Wolf's Shipyard Forum :: View topic - Raven-Class BattleStar
    Wolf's Shipyard Forum :: Index
    Wolf's Shipyard Forum :: View Forum - Battlestar Galactica
    Chris
    Your doing a fantastic job keep it up!

BolianAdmiral : I'm just wondering... but it looks like this baby is either roughly the same size, or just a tad bigger than the Valkyrie... am I right?

According to miniature models it a variation of the Mercury Class!

a friend of mine has all the miniatures, including the Prometheus and it sidekicks and must say thats an impressive model as well!!!!!
    Here is my take on the BSG Battlestar timeline:

The Galactica (class?) was the first Battlestar. It has a rough, raw look to it that reflects a WWII aesthetic. Now, I am may be taking liberties, but I think the Mercury class Battlestar was designed to be a successor to the Galactica, perhaps designed twenty years after the First Cylon War. My take on the Raven is that is a Battlestar that was designed and built around the same time as the Mercury, sort of a competition to see which Battlestar would enter service. I wanted the Raven to reflect the Galactica in parts of the design lineage, put only in part, hence the ventral ribs. The Valkyrie I think is an even more modern design of Battlestar, but more compact and smaller than the Mercury and Raven classes.

Support ships, like the Cygnus Defender, destroyers, frigates, cruisers, and warstars, are another thing all together...

Rob
    ^

The Galactica IS indeed a Galactica-Class ship, as was BSG Columbia, and the few other Galactica-Class ships we saw taken out in Caprica orbit in the miniseries, and one that was hit and taken out by a missile at the Scorpion Yards, in RAZOR.

IDK about timelines exactly, but my feeling is that the Galactica-Class ships were among the first true Battlestars, like the Essex-Class carriers, in WWII. The Mercury was brought into the game near the end of the war, and has to be getting up there in years, because we KNOW that BSG Pegasus had been upgraded numerous times. I'm thinking the Valkyrie was developed fairly recently, as a modern alternative, so that if war broke out again, the Colonials would (hopefully) have a newer line of defense.
  • Capt.HunterCapt.Hunter331 Posts: 71Member
    arashikami wrote: »
    Here is my take on the BSG Battlestar timeline:

The Galactica (class?) was the first Battlestar. It has a rough, raw look to it that reflects a WWII aesthetic. Now, I am may be taking liberties, but I think the Mercury class Battlestar was designed to be a successor to the Galactica, perhaps designed twenty years after the First Cylon War. My take on the Raven is that is a Battlestar that was designed and built around the same time as the Mercury, sort of a competition to see which Battlestar would enter service. I wanted the Raven to reflect the Galactica in parts of the design lineage, put only in part, hence the ventral ribs. The Valkyrie I think is an even more modern design of Battlestar, but more compact and smaller than the Mercury and Raven classes.

Support ships, like the Cygnus Defender, destroyers, frigates, cruisers, and warstars, are another thing all together...

Rob

That's probably close to what happened. However the first Battlestar class is Columbia-Class, of which the Galactica was a part of. Nice work so far btw.
    However the first Battlestar class is Columbia-Class, of which the Galactica was a part of.

Not really.

The Galactica IS a Galactica-Class ship, as this prop from the actual studio set proves.
    70594.jpg
  • Capt.HunterCapt.Hunter331 Posts: 71Member
    That is interesting, cause everything I've hear Ron Moore say is that it's still a Columbia-class. But does give for some interesting ideas.
    Capt. Hunter is CORRECT regardless of what your posting because Ron Moore & David Ecert said the same thing in battlestar BLOGS as well as the origans of how the Pegasis came to be both in same blog.

Also this link might clear it up; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(ship)
    It clearly states Columbia class

also in the MINI SERIES said the first 12 ships represented the 12 colonies and all a Columbia class let not rewrite the history of the series again!

By the way the clock from water was still on the bridge with "33" (guess they were still expecting the cylons every half hour pus three )still marked on it when it did it sun scuttle, but lets not have movie props. spoil the show!
    Not really.

The Galactica IS a Galactica-Class ship, as this prop from the actual studio set proves.
    It's a Columbia class according to the original story developer!
    Whatever you want to believe, you can, but the truth hurts, and in this case, it's also in writing.
    Well, only some work done on the mesh today. I added some Dorsal wing detailing, as well as digging into my collection of nurnies for some final dorsal spine detailing. Every time I add more detail to the mesh I find more places that need detail. The trenches on each wing need detailing, and I need to finish the FTL at the end of main hull.

Hopefully this will complete the first detail pass. The second pass will be focused more on specific areas of the hull to make it pop more, and this includes detailed bases for the railgun batteries, and possible a full spread of point defense guns if my computer can handle it.

I am finding the discussion on the classes to be very interesting. Was it ever said which class the Valkyrie is part of?

Rob
    70644.jpg70645.jpg
    Sharpe!
    Awesome updates!

The only class of Battlestar ever explicitly spoken of on-screen, was the Mercury-Class (Pegasus). It was never spoken which class the Valkyrie was part of.
    A quick question for everyone...Does anyone know the RGB colors used on the BSG models? On top of everything else I think I should start getting some color on the mesh...

Rob
    Try Battleship Gray!