Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG- Battlestar Raven

• arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    well, here are a couple of new shots. First up we have a dorsal shot, which shows the changes between the old mesh and the new mesh, particularly the wings, which have been stretched further back into the drive section. I transferred the greeble to the new mesh as a final touch. In the second image, I have cut and extruded the geometry to create spaces for the pipes going into the drive section.

Rob
    71537.jpg71538.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,572Member
    Awesome work on the greebles. :) Have you started anything on the interior of the flight pods yet?
    I have some of the internal ribs placed in the flight pod as well as blocked in parts of the observation decks of the flight pods. The docking tubes need to be placed, and then a basic texture map applied to the interior, but the pod is blocked in, not to mention the doors on the pod exterior as well as matching interior can be animated.

Rob
    Here is the revised mesh for the Raven. Included are the scaled down engines, with the sublight nozzles textured and with a glow applied. I switched out the color of the FTL to red instead of blue for some variation.

Rob
    71574.jpg71575.jpg
    Wow... the new mesh looks great!
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    Looking good!
    I need to bring out the forward hull plates and greebles some more I think. Just enough to give it some more definition. I will put some lights in the flight pod to test light it for detailing and try to get the overall size of the mesh close to, but not larger than, the Mercury class.

Rob
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work.
    The more I work with this ship (project to be posted soon, in 2D forum), and try to figure out the internal arrangement of it, the more I realize just how big this ship really is... I was wrong... she's at least as large as the Galactica. :)
    For the scale I always thought it was be similar in size to the Mercury class. The BSG wiki states the Pegasus as being 1789.8 Meters. I have not worked on scaling yet, but I think I may make the Raven around 1600 Meters, which would make the size between the Galactica and the Pegasus

Rob
    ^

Yeah... that really sounds about right now... I don't see how it could be any smaller.
    I've been working on the interior flight pods. There will be some detailing on the inside, but to minimize the polys, I won't trick them out. I have the flight deck in a .PSD file right now for texturing, and will probably work on that some more tonight to get the basic colors blocked in.

On a sadder note, my file for the Mk IV Viper got corrupted, and I will need to rebuild the model from an older, blocked in mesh, but it is okay since I had some new ideas for it..

Rob
    You got any Mk. II's on this ship? :)
    You know the galatica was the only ship with mk 2 because she was going to become a museum .

A ship like this would have had mk 7 .
    I was placing this design 20 years after the First Cylon War, so with Mk IIs being common during the war, and Mk VIIs being common during the show, I thought a Mk IV version would fit in better with the backstory I was working on. The design I did for the Mk IV was kind of a blend between the two to fill in the gaps of design progression.

Rob
    Darkone wrote: »
    You know the galatica was the only ship with mk 2 because she was going to become a museum .

A ship like this would have had mk 7 .

You know, that's generally true, but I actually found a way to have a few Mk. II's on the Urantia... I had the ship hosting a performance air wing, called the Starblazers, which do performances at Colonial airshows, like our Thunderbirds, or Blue Angels. I thought it was a nice way to kind of create a loophole, that would allow for some Mk. II's. :)
    I've gotten several mixed views on how many Vipers are stationed on board a Battlestar. One source says 80, another says 200. Also, how many Vipers are in a squadron?

I'm still working on the landing deck texture map along with the interior spaces for the pod. I think once I get some pipes laid into the mesh and some lighting placed I think that phase will be completed. I have also been experimenting with some texture maps discussed on some of the other BSG threads. Does anyone think that the Raven should be textured like the Galactica or the Pegasus? Or should I just come up with my own color scheme?

Rob
  • RonPadaRonPada0 Posts: 0Member
    The Viper numbers have never actually been set. A few episodes have mentioned the number of remaining vipers, but not how many the Galactica or Pegasus had to begin with.

Based on the size comparisons to a US Nimitz class carrier, which carries nearly 100 planes and is slightly smaller than a Galactica flight pod, I will go out on a limb and say the Galactica in her prime is capable of carrying a mix 200 vipers/raptors and shuttles.
    In regards to textures, I would go with something like the Pegasus for the most part, and use a Galactica-style look for the area where the ribbed sections are. Just my two cents.
    Just a quick update. Here is a rough shot of the texture map for the Landing deck. Once I have the base map completed I can put the Battlestar number on the map and start tuning the fit. I still have to finish the interior flight pod, hopefully by next week.

Rob
    72170.jpg
    Looking good so far. :)
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work.
    tight
    Thanks, it is a bit slow going because I have to relearn photoshop as I go. Kind of like every time we upgrade Maya at work Autodesk drops a new version in our laps....

But things are proceeding apace. With some luck I will have the interior flight pods finished this weekend and then I can start working on other details that sort of stick out...

Rob
    Sorry I haven't posted lately, I have been having some problems with my computer and it is affecting my renderer. The flight deck texture map has been completed and added to the model. A basic lighting scheme has been implemented on the interior of the flight deck. As soon as I get the bugs worked out I will have some new images to display.

Rob
    Cool... I look forward to it.
    Well heres hopping.
    well, got some of the computer problems taken care of...Here are a couple of test shots for the Raven's flight deck. I will have to look at the lighting plot from the Pegasus Flight Decks to get a more accurate image. But I think it is a good start. I only put a few pipes, light glows, and docking bays in the interior. I think a good texture will add more detail to the interior without increasing the Polys too much.

Rob:argh:
    72559.png72560.jpg
    Very nice... I love that floor-level shot. :)
    I apologize for not posting for the past few weeks...we have been working on a feature length film at work...all I have had time for is working on has been shaders :argh: ....

Rob