Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPearse's BSG models

• XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work.
  • Really great work! :D
  • under9starsunder9stars0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome, Pearse! Those are looking great. I know UVing is no party, although it can be a nice break from modeling, but I encourage it so you can generate AO/dirt maps which add so much realism to the model. I completely UVed my viper and spent a couple hours generating the maps. I will post some updates soon. I look forward to seeing you progress!
  • under9starsunder9stars0 Posts: 0Member
    BTW, did you know of the virtual tour they have of the Galactica on the show website?! I downloaded all the VRs, very cool. Of course, they have a mk2 cockpit view which precipitated some remodeling of my cockpit (rrrrrrr).
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely textures mate. :thumb:
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks all :) I've now built the front section, underside and most of the wing, so I'll post some renders when I get a chance.
    Nice very nice work, what kind of procedural texture stuff did you do to it? I'm resonably new to modelling (Couple of months) and are just starting to fiddle around abit more with materials and so forth in maya. So I'm looking for any tips to help, even if they're from another program...

I really just built up a few different channels of noise. C4D has a good selection of presets, so I started with one of those and modified it and built up more layers until I had what I'm using now. I'll change it a bit more though. It looks cool on small areas, but on the whole model it looks like camouflage. :)
    Awesome, Pearse! Those are looking great. I know UVing is no party, although it can be a nice break from modeling, but I encourage it so you can generate AO/dirt maps which add so much realism to the model. I completely UVed my viper and spent a couple hours generating the maps. I will post some updates soon. I look forward to seeing you progress!

I think I'll take your advice. I have to learn UVing one day and I know this model will benefit from it a lot, so I'll bite the bullet once I'm finished modeling. I'll look forward to your updates, too. The last renders were really impressive.

Thanks for the tip on the virtual tour, btw. Wow, that would've been amazing to use back when I was making my hangar bay. Still a fantastic resource for so many other things, though. Nice of them to put the camera in both cockpits for us. ;)
    Here are a few renders. I've modeled the nose section, underside and front part of the wings in one piece, which I thought might lead to a few problems, but it's actually gone quite smoothly (pun intended :p). I'm not sure if it could still do with a few tweaks, the raised section either side of the cockpit doesn't look quite right to me, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong exactly.

tailfin9.JPG

tailfin10.JPG

tailfin11.JPG

Textures + ambient occlusion for this one.
    tailfin12.JPG

I'm not gonna have a chance to work on it for a few days, but when I do I'm looking forward to putting in the grid lines and making the cockpit window. :)
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    That looks amazing, I can't wait to see more updates on this :)

(and I'm glad you decided to model the original MkVII ;))
  • u made the details with cuttin tool??
    and bevel them??
    just wonder... cuz i need some good referance pics with "edged faces"
    still trying to understand
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    drooling over this viper can't wait to see it finished
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Your viper VII is looking great Pearse:thumb:
    What is the poly count on it at the moment?
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great John.
    Thanks, all. :)

YIIMM: Yeah, I much prefer the original version. I don't know why they redesigned it, as the new version isn't an improvement IMO. However, I might make the new version after I've finished this, just for completeness. I think it'll be fairly simple to modify.

sislisokak: To make the lines I made a copy of the object in question and cut the lines (using the knife tool in C4D), then deleted everything but the lines and extruded what I had left. Then I used that as a boole on the original object. I don't know if that's the easiest way to do it, but it seems to work. :)

ID: Right now it's at about 100k polies. I have a lot of optimisation to do that I am not looking forward to. :p

Here are few quick renders. This old PC is about to fall apart, so I'm holding off doing any big renders right now. I'll post some bigger ones later today when I finish these gridlines. The cockpit and engine exhausts are the last main bits to model.

tailfin16.JPG
    tailfin17.JPG
    tailfin18.JPG
    Now my bird can land. :) I put in the landing gear and the cockpit window today. That just leaves the cockpit interior and engines to model.

tailfin24.JPG
    tailfin19.JPG
    tailfin20.JPG
    tailfin21.JPG
    tailfin23.JPG
    Finished off the engines yesterday, which was actually a lot less complicated than I expected. The gridlines on those sections can be done in the textures.

tailfin25.JPG
    tailfin26.JPG

Also had a go at the exhaust effects. I've never tried this before... not perfect, but a good start I think. I haven't looked at reference pics for that yet.

tailfin27.JPG
    tailfin28.JPG
    tailfin29.JPG

tailfin30.JPG

Next up I'm doing the cockpit before going back to the rest of the gridlines. I hate gridlines. :p
  • great engine model dude...
    any chance to see it in edged faces mode?
    especially the exhaust place...
    even us pixel artists frakking hate grid lines.....
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Jupp, great job John, well done.
    I hope my model turns out that way too ..... hum, maybe someday ^^
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    The details are amazing!, I look forward to also see the cockpit interior too, is that the last that is needed on your MKVII?
    Keep it up!:thumb:.
    Looks great John
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work on your Viper MKVII:thumb:
  • poboy975poboy9750 Posts: 0Member
    wow that looks really great! I'm curious, how do you do the grid lines? get them to look so sharp. is it a modeling technique of beveling edges? or a texture map of lines?
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    yeah amazing
    Thanks all. Yes, Chilitrek. The cockpit is the last major bit of modeling, although I have all the optimisation to go back to, which is almost a project in itself. :D

poboy - I posted a quick explanation of how I do my gridlines in your Viper thread. Hope it helps (and makes sense). :)

Haven't had much time to work on my Viper lately, but I've been working on the cockpit when I get a chance. I've textured as I go to break up the modeling/squinting at screencaps.

tailfin37.JPG
    tailfin38.JPG
    tailfin39.JPG
    tailfin40.JPG

The front area around the window isn't quite right, I'll have to figure that out sometime.

tailfin41.JPG

Lastly, a pilot's eye view.

tailfin42.JPG
    tailfin43.JPG
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice your model is awsome and the interior is wow.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah it looks absolutely amazing :thumb: The textures are brilliant too :D
    Amazing work John, I thought it was the actual cockpit for a moment.
    biotech wrote: »
    Amazing work John, I thought it was the actual cockpit for a moment.

Agreed.

it's scary, how good that looks.....
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Well Dayum! I am going to have to raise my game now, superb work! The only 'crit' I can proffer, is there's no harness for the pilot, but I am sure it'll be on your to-do list :D
    Wow, thanks! Well I have to thank under9stars, because I couldn't have got it this accurate without the brilliant reference he linked to a while back. :thumb:

Yep, the harnesses are on my list, although I'm not sure how to approach them. I could just model them normally, or I could use C4D's clothing module so they'll be easy to deal with when I have a character strapped in and animated. Thing is I don't know how the clothing module works, yet. I guess I'll have to learn it eventually though.