Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPearse's BSG models

PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This is one I've been working at off and on for a month or two now, but it's not finished by a long shot.

I was rebuilding my dockyards model when I realised I needed some bays for shuttles and raptors to be stowed away in, so it made sense to base them on the ones that battlestars have. And then I completely forgot about the shipyard and concentrated on making this an accurate model in its own right. Well that's the goal, anyway. I've gone through a whole lotta references to make sure I'm getting things right, but it's my first major model, so at the same time I'm learning how to do some of the basics. :)
81550.jpg
Post edited by Pearse on

• todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    Very impressive, I don't think anyone would be able to tell that it's your first major model. What software are you using?
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    That is some really neat work, I love the spaces. It looks a lot like the Bays on the Galactica. In the first image, shadows on the floor seem to get lost but looking at the rest of the shots I got an impression of the floor surface and it almost looks too smooth. very nice work . .
    gp
  • OdinOdin0 Posts: 0Member
    First major model........................god help the modelers. Mate, looking very cool indeed. Hope to see more real soon.:thumb:
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Fine work there! Get that area grunged up a bit and it will really look the part.
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    VERY good stuff!
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Really outstanding work John.
  • NayslayerNayslayer333 Posts: 57Member
    Thats really nice!
  • DarknosDarknos0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, this is just awesome. This is the kind of thing I love to see. The modeling is clean, and the lighting is also great. Keep it up!
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    very cool work here.
  • DarthMcWordDarthMcWord0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic. I don't believe this is your first model. I look foward to seeing more.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    It's not my first ever model, but it's my first one in Cinema 4D and the first thing I've made that didn't essentially boil down to a few barely detailed box shapes. And of course I'm trying to mimic something that actually exists, so I can't just change the design if I find a particular shape too hard to make. :)

Thanks for all the praise, guys. The textures at the moment are just placeholders, but I'm planning on dealing with that floor sooner or later and adding a lot of dirt. I don't really understand how to do uv wrapping, but I gather that that's what I need to master next. It all looks too clean and shiny right now.

Here are a few more pics. The intercom unit took me hours to do and it's actually way too detailed since it's such a minor feature when seen from a distance, but it taught me a few things. I tend to go a bit nuts on detail and then complain when it takes forever to render.
    Some more excellent work!
    All great, especially the intercom.
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    I am loving that last shot of the bay . . . really nice.
    gp
    Thanks. :) That's my best render so far, though the radiosity is a bit messy in places.

Right now I'm working on the Pegasus version of the bay. It mostly just has extra lighting so it should be done soon.
  • DarthMcWordDarthMcWord0 Posts: 0Member
    ^Have we ever seen the Pegasus version of the bay?
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Very nice work so far - the comm unit looks excellent
    ^ Thanks. The references from the SFM trip to the studios were helpful in detailing that. You don't get many close ups in the series.
    ^Have we ever seen the Pegasus version of the bay?

We saw it very briefly at Cain's funeral and there a few shots of it in Razor as well. The structure is unfortunately unchanged from Galactica's(you'd think it'd be more advanced in some way), but that's helpful for me. :)
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work.
  • AldrikGAldrikG0 Posts: 0Member
    VERY nice work!
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely STUNNING work. (I spent a lot of time staring at the hangar set shots online to develop some blueprints. This looks spot on to my eyes.)
  • whitestarwhitestar0 Posts: 0Member
    I believe weve just found our modeling mesiah, one of the most impressive works ive seen in a while.
    ^ That's very flattering, but there a lots of people here who are way more talented at modeling than I could ever be. Not to mention that I've spent weeks on this, when those guys could probably whip it up in a couple of days(or hours?). Thanks very much for the encouragement though! :)
    cobywan wrote: »
    Absolutely STUNNING work. (I spent a lot of time staring at the hangar set shots online to develop some blueprints. This looks spot on to my eyes.)

Hehe, thanks. I spent a long time looking at them too, as well as going through all of season 1 and 2. It's funny because I'd always taken it for granted that the set was just a number of identical slanted pillars, but it's really so much more complicated. I'm confident that I'm making it as accurate as I can from the available resources, but I'm constantly noticing little details I've missed. I have a very long to-do list.
    Would very much like to see a wireframe of this/these sets. Please.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    the gods have blessed us with modelling genius yet again, holy frakking well done.
    I really don't know what to say except thankyou. :o
    mikala wrote: »
    Would very much like to see a wireframe of this/these sets. Please.

Sure, I'll post something tomorrow with my latest progress.
    I'll send the wireframes in a sec, but here's what I've done in the last couple of days.

I made the clock from "33", put together the door(I think the proportions are a little wrong in places, but it'll do) and worked on the Pegasus version, which has different colouring, loads of (kind of gimmicky) fluorescent lights and a computer/telephone combo instead of the intercom boxes that Galactica has. I also noticed the lighting is more subdued, but I'm still figuring that out. :) I'm gonna make some wallpaper sized renders soon using the computers at uni, maybe once I've modeled more clutter. Everything still looks too clean and empty.
  • Shadowman99Shadowman99331 Posts: 0Member
    That third render almost looks like they dressed the set with a C-64 or VIC-20.

Awesome work. I have launch tubes on my list of things to build for my viper project. You set a high bar.
    All fantastic stuff, love the reflections on the clock.

Don't forget to share this stuff over at lonaf too John.
    ^ Will do.
    That third render almost looks like they dressed the set with a C-64 or VIC-20.

It does look a bit like that, only with a modern QWERTY keyboard layout. From what I can tell, the keyboard is on hinges so it can be folded up. Funny how they put so much detail into something that's seen for a few seconds at most. Though I do have my suspicions that the "keys" are a printed sheet of paper. :)