Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPearse's BSG models

• PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    The engines are actually surprisingly simple to do because for the most detailed part, you just have to make one segment and repeat it 30 or so times and align it to a circle. The only difficult part I had to figure out was the inside of the engines, but luckily I found some good views in a recent episode (the season 4 scene where the Vipers head from the Demetrius to intercept Leoben's heavy raider). My references are from various episodes, as well as the set visit pics from this site and Gabriel Koerner's site, which looks like it's down at the moment.

http://www.gabekoerner.com/

Also, some more set visit pics here
    BSG Visit - a set on Flickr

And some info on minor details here
    Future-Past.com - Sets/Locations
    Well the modeling's done on the Viper, but I can't get my head around UV co-ordinates at all, so I've put a hold on texturing.

Today I felt like doing something different, so I've been putting together a BSG style corridor. It's kind of what the sets look like in my mind's eye, rather than the real thing. I like the ceiling lights, but I think I'm gonna change the colour. Looking a bit Cylonish. :)
    56871.jpg56872.jpg56873.jpg56874.jpg
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    You're doing a fine job!
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Well done, Pearse. Nice lighting too.
    Thanks a lot. :)

Made a bit more progress this morning and it's starting to shape up. It's lucky I have a Galactica style door to hand (from my launchbays), along with some other bits and bobs to flesh out a corridor scene.
    56915.jpg56916.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    That last picture looks incredible.

Are you using bounced light?

The end of the corridor seems to get brighter when that door is in place.
    Thanks, Rich. Yeah, I'm using global illumination in these corridor renders. The scene looks all right without it, but I wanted an idea of the finished product.

I've added a bit more of my "clutter" now, plus some oxygen tubes and comm units. I'm gonna change the floor texture and make it softer so I don't get the moire effect and do something with the wall texture too.

Might make a room after this is done so I can have the door open looking in. Not sure which room to do, or if there's anything we haven't seen in the series that would be cool to design?
    56917.jpg56918.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW that looks great:thumb:
  • kennykenny0 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet Work Pearse :thumb:
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful... I like it more now
  • TheGreatRajaTheGreatRaja171 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet work dude!
    Thanks, chaps. :) I'm not sure what room to build at the end of the corridor, maybe a big munitions bay? We've seen the weapons lockers before, but I don't think they had anything that would be loaded into Galactica's big guns.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Quality work! It looks a little dark, but then they usually do look dark in that show :D

Good luck solving your UV problems!
    Thanks a lot. Yeah, it might look a little too dark. I just don't want it to look overlit, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

From what I can tell, a huge number of the rooms we see in the show are one and the same set, just redressed each time. I've got a good idea of how it's set out, so I'm making my own to use as a template for crew quarters, firing ranges, the brig, etc.

Doesn't look much so far, but should come together when I do the swiss cheese wall panels. :)
    56999.jpg
    We saee a huge number of rooms in that show? haha it's hard to tell what room you're in when you've got a camera up their nostrils like usual hehe :)

yeah you should be able to do a series of re-useable modules for redressing to the main sets, good thinking! :)
    I would, but unfortunately my laptop just decided to die on me. Some weird glitch that won't let it boot up properly, but on the bright side all my files are backed up.

Hopefully someone on the net will have had this trouble before so I can figure out what to do. :(
    Oh dear! Have you tried booting into safe mode (assuming it's windows) and see if you can get in that way?

Also have you tried the boot menu and used 'last known good' - that's saved my bacon more than a few times! :D
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Ah crap! Good luck on the laptop rescue!
    It's a Mac, so I'm not very familiar with what to do. I've been working through the solutions I can find and I got it working temporarily (of course, I was so delighted that I instantly forgot *how* I got it working :)). Thought it was all fine again, so went back into Cinema 4D, only for it to freak out once I did things that took a lot of processing power. It conked out again after a few minutes of being glitchy and now it won't get past the start up screen. So, I'm guessing it's RAM or processor related.

It's kind of lucky Rehm had his computer problems (which were fixed) as it encouraged me to make back-ups. I'd probably be in tears right now if I didn't know my work's safely backed up. :D

Thanks, mikala. Hopefully I'll find a solution soon!
    Glad to hear about the back ups, cant help you with Mac problems, you might want to try Odin.
    I've spent the afternoon looking for anyone with similar problems and I've narrowed it down to a few possible probs (no one seems to agree what causes it). Tomorrow I'll call up Apple and get them to fix it.
  • Man, you just made me hit the delete key on my project. There is nothing but talent in you man, I bow before your perfection.
    Thanks for the compliment, but don't stop working on your project just because of mine. Lots of artists on here work on the same or similar projects and everyone always has a unique take on a subject. How far along are you and what models are you making? I have lots of BSG reference images I could pass along.

My laptop troubles still aren't over, so I installed C4D on my crumby old PC. Bit slower, but at least I can get back to modeling. :D

I've started texturing my Viper. I've almost always used procedurals in the past, so I'm just getting the hang of this. Once I've got to grips with UV mapping I'll go back and redo the textures at a higher quality.

My last attempt at UV mapping was a total nightmare, so I'm not gonna spend ages doing textures if they'll just end up warped. :p
    62052.jpg
    I don't know what happened with that texturing project.. I must've got distracted by work. :confused:

Oh well, I've moved on to modeling the Mk VII Viper now! Just made the tail section so far, as it's probably the simplest part to do. I'd avoided the curvy Mk VII, but I think I've got enough experience to pull it off now.

tailfin2.JPG

So this is what I have so far. Some of the gridlines might be a bit too wide, I'm not sure. I spent about 5 minutes playing around to make the procedural texture. I think it's come out pretty well, so hopefully I'll be able to use it all over instead of having to do any UV mapping. :D

Next I'll do the engines.
  • a yea! great job! can't wait to see the engine section!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah looks great Pearse ! :thumb: Screw the engines, I want to see the whole model ! :devil:
    Cheers guys. :) Heh, I think it'll be a few days yet before it's complete, but it's coming along well. Sorry these renders are small. I just made them quickly before closing the program, but you get the idea till I do some more. Next up I'll work on the wings. I'm saving the front section till last as I reckon it'll be a toughy with the corrugated bit along the sides.

Front
    tailfin4.JPG

Back
    tailfin5.JPG
  • Hello!

impressive! can't wait to see the rest of this viper mkVII!
    Nice work John, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice very nice work, what kind of procedural texture stuff did you do to it? I'm resonably new to modelling (Couple of months) and are just starting to fiddle around abit more with materials and so forth in maya. So I'm looking for any tips to help, even if they're from another program...