Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPearse's BSG models

• PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Been adding lots of clutter over the last week to make the environment feel more realistic and used. Also done a bit more work on the lifts, though references for them are hard to come by.

I'm still thinking of making an animation, but god knows how long that'll take to render!
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Very nice, you just need a viper to sit in a bay and have a diagnostic, surrounded by wires, tools and gas tanks, very nice details so far!
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent clutter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    now if we could only borrow ST's matter replicators and build this thing...looks possible from these fabulous works.
    Well cobywan is actually planning on making a real life model of it(using a 3-D printer, I believe) once I put together some orthographic plans. I really can't complete those until my model is more accurate, though.
    tobian wrote: »
    Very nice, you just need a viper to sit in a bay and have a diagnostic, surrounded by wires, tools and gas tanks, very nice details so far!

I tried downloading the Viper from the meshes section, but I couldn't get it to open in C4D, so I'll probably make my own.

I started work on a model of one of the concept sketches a few weeks back, but uni has been distracting me a lot lately!

Thanks for all the compliments. :)
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm hoping to use a CNC router to do it. :)
    The ONLY thing you need to make this amazing is some advanced lighting, the basic shadows are killing you. Your work is amazing, mental ray can take it to the next step.
    Well some of the lighting in the shots above is intentionally a bit basic, since I don't want long render times just to show the clutter or the latest update to the lifts, but I see what you mean even in the better renders. I'm really a novice, especially when it comes to lighting.

I'm always reading people's messages about the third party renderers they use, but I don't know anything about them. What does mental ray do differently?
  • SSKnightSSKnight0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi there (Awesome job!!!)..have you tried to do the same thing with the original BSG series Landing Bay??
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    This looks just fantastic... awesome work! :D
    You are doing a great job on the Hanger Bays. What software are you using to create the hanger bay?
  • psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    Pearse wrote: »
    It's not my first ever model, but it's my first one in Cinema 4D

Yep, C4D. Very good program. :)
    SSKnight wrote: »
    Hi there (Awesome job!!!)..have you tried to do the same thing with the original BSG series Landing Bay??

THanks very much. Nope, I haven't yet, but I might have a go with that after this and some other projects. I always liked the design of the original, though we didn't see much of it.
    Now I'm done with my dissertation I've finally got some free time to work on this again, so I've started on the launch tube itself (the bit the Vipers fly through realy fast when they're launched). There's not much reference material available for it, so I might have to make a few details up, but ideally I'll make it as accurate as possible.
    47577.jpg47578.jpg
  • Apollo911Apollo9110 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work!
    Thanks. :) I've done a bit more work today adding some details and having a fiddle with lighting. I'm thinking I might add this to the meshes section when I'm done, since people might find it useful for animations.
    47642.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work Pearse :thumb:
    Looks amazing John.
  • Mr DobMr Dob0 Posts: 0Member
    wow thats fantastic! expertly done :D
    Thanks chaps. :) I've now finished the tube more or less. Just needs some texturing work to complete it. I'm not totally happy with the lighting, but it turns out there are differences in how the tunnel was lit in the mini series and second season, so I went for a compromise between the two.

I made a quick vid showing a pilot's eye view of a launch. Might have a go at a more extended video once I've completed all the bay.. oh and a Viper.

http://www.johnpearse.partsking.net/tube2.mov
    47715.jpg47716.jpg
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, looks good to me.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    the last part of your avi is weird whys it jiggle? lol
    I was trying to make it look a bit like the Viper was banking from side to side as the pilot got to grips with his surroundings, just to give a sense of realism. It did turn out looking kinda weird, didn't it? :)
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    That's turning out VERY nicely. The lighting in the tubes in the series is very dark anyways. I'm amazed you've been able to get things as close as you have been.

Great work!
    Well luckily there was a detailed (but really small) pic of the tubes in the first season Companion, so that helped me out a lot. I realised when I looked at screencaps that a few things were different from the image in the book, but nothing major. For that reason the lower section of the walls on mine are wrong, but I prefer them like this so I'm letting it go.

Since then I've been working on the Landram, which has crept up a few times on the new series. I'm thinking it'll be something fun to stick in the back of shots since it's small enough to fit inside the hangar bay. :)

Again, I'm trying to be fairly meticulous with the details, but as usual with these things, the reference material you thought was so abundant just seems to vanish when you start needing it. :D
    47858.jpg47859.jpg
    Had the day off today, so I tackled most of the tricky parts of the Landram, but I'm not sure how I'll do the tank tracks(which is what the giant cylinders are standing in for). I'd like to make it possible to animate them, so I guess I try putting them on a spline... I hope that works or it'll be staying still. :D
    47930.jpg47931.jpg47933.jpg
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    absolutley amazing...really!
    Excellent work, there are a few tank track tutorials on the web, should help with those.
    Crikey, didn't expect to see this bumped today. Thanks very much, kborak. :) I have a finished pic of the Landram in action in my gallery. Might as well put it in here too I suppose.

Uni work's got in the way of this now so I haven't been able to texture them properly or follow up on the tank track tutorials I found. It looks like making tank tracks animated in C4D involves Mocha coding which scares the crap outta me. :o
    50085.jpg