Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Endless Pluto Station Thread

• FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Yeah I know, Guess they will do it every 10 - 20 years now.
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    tobian. I know this is supposed to be an "endless" thread but what actually happens when you can't put any more detail into your model?? (yes. Its a dum question I know, but its been buggin me for some time).
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    im guessing he hadds a new section or arm haha
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    MajorPayne wrote: »
    tobian. I know this is supposed to be an "endless" thread but what actually happens when you can't put any more detail into your model?? (yes. Its a dum question I know, but its been buggin me for some time).

he can always model the scratches on the screws
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Despite the many gags about screws (and yes I have put a few large nut's on the hull, as details, but nothing much smaller than 20cm!) there's a lot left to model on this without going into the insane realms! :) For the most part most of the rooms only have major items modelled, I don't have any furniture, other than some very blocky corner seat, in one of the rooms. I have a lot of furniture to make, so that will be a big thing! :) I do also have an idea for an extension of one of the booms, but relatively, it's minor, and I have plenty left to model!
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    MajorPayne wrote: »

Heh. "The Matrix is complete..." ;)

Looking good as always! :thumb:
    Thanks Basil! :) Your station is also looking sweet, and becoming as Sisyphean :D
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Well by the time he get's this completed, holodecks will be a reality and then he'll have to build it for them, meaning lots more work getting the small details perfect ;)
  • seanrseanr1423 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 637Member
    Looking fantastic, but you already knew that. :-P
    Thanks SeanR :)
    Trying out a new trick I developed for a tutorial, for the lighting strips.. it's costly in terms of refraction and extra geometry, but I will have to put more of these in the station, as they look sexy! :) Also improved my brushed metal material, which really shows in this render.

test180-icon.jpg

Been really quiet recently as I was working on a tutorial for 3D world magazine. hopefully I can show some of the work i did for that soon too.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    What studios are you building this set with and who funded it...wait a minute....:D
    It does look pretty realistic. Which era is this in?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    The station is meant to be a multi-era thing, with additions and expansions over the years. The airlocks were heavilly influenced by the TMP era, but are slightly different. The doors need a bit of an update too though :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work, the lights really set off the metallic texture well.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looks great! can't wait for the tutorial!
  • seanrseanr1423 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 637Member
    Who cares if it's costly, it's beautiful! Nice work. ;)
    Cheers guys! :)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Hah, this station is still alive and kicking, yay! :D
    Kudos on the magazine, good on ya!
    Cheers Meph. Are you not working on your endless project now? :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    please, blow it up now :)
    confess. that's why you are building it.
    Still lots to do before I can blow it up! :)
    Splendid work sir! Nice and shiny. :D
    Cheers Basil!
  • This may have been covered and I apologise if it already has but is there an overall design for this station where you'll know (roughly) when it's done? Not that I'm looking to see the project off or anything I've got multiple pictures saved for days of little motivation and inspiration but I was kind of wondering how it's meant to look when it's all done.

As always your latest render leaves me opening 3DS to test some ideas :)
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Those blue lights are so cool. Look forward to reading the tutorial.

Pluto Forever!
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice mate. This new lighting system your using really gives everything more life.
    plan.... bahahahahah :)

Seriously though as a rule I don't have a plan, but I do have a number of things on a giant list of things I need to improve, add or change. I don't have these things written down, but they annoy me every time I see them :)

I believe the tutorial is out mid-next month, and covers quite a bit, though it may be hard to understand, as I chickened out of doing the video part :)

Thanks all, I can see me adding more of those lights everywhere.. I may be some time!
    Updated the lighting in the telescope room, to test out the new lighting technology I have hehe. Looks pretty sweet! :)

test181-icon.jpg

the lights in the area behind overpower the image a little, but they are meant to be behind some machinery.. which I have to build.. I need some ideas for that though :)
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Pipes! Definitely needs moar pipes. Looking good mate :)
    The machinery will be pipe-city.. Just as soon as I think it up! :)
    Looks great. Is there going to be enough room to access the mechanics of "pipe-city" beyond those openings? I love the blue lights in the stairs, though the ones in the windows seem a little much. It's all still cool though! :D