Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    yeah but your thingy lift the at at to the edge of the shield it walks under with the lifter still on top and then once under it takes off again with atat still attached and you ahve a flying at at
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    yeah but your thingy lift the at at to the edge of the shield it walks under with the lifter still on top and then once under it takes off again with atat still attached and you ahve a flying at at

Logistics.

If you only have one carry-all platform that is a jack-of-all-trades, you still can use it to carry any/all of your walkers, while only needing to maintain just the one single carry-all. Thus, only need a single dedicated maintenance crew (one shift or multiple ones) & the maintenance support resource needs for it.

If you make all your walkers capable of flight, than not only do you still need their existing maintenance needs, but now you add the maintenance needs of what is effectively a shuttle/fighter-bomber on top of all that, for each single walker. Plus any/all maintenance support needs as well.

The latter is only going to be seen if you're a SpecOps unit, which are normally lavishly kitted out with the finest of equipment. Also, they're TINY in comparison to a regular field army.

The former is what the regular field army, which is vastly larger then a SpecOps unit, will go to, seeing as a single unit could be used to support multiple units. Including and up to/possibly providing support in ways that an integrated unit might not be capable of - multiple carry-alls working together to lift a far larger object, whereas a flying walker, with its anti-grav repulsors set only to carry its own weight, wouldn't be able to so much as lift a handspan.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Latest WIP: a Mandalorian-themed starfighter.

mando1.png
    mando2.png
    mando3.png
    mando4.jpg
    mando5.jpg
    mando6.jpg
    mando7.jpg
    mando8.jpg
  • wibblewibble1220 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 545Member
    Looks like Star Wars meets Guardians Of the Galaxy which is strange but fascinating.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Loving the streamline blade like lines of this thing with hints of the Rebel B-Wing and Slave-1 in the mix, like a sleeker, deadlier more militaristic version of Fett's titular ship. The detailing is coming together nicely too, especially on that ventral fin.

:thumb:
    mando9.jpg
    mando10.jpg
    mando11.jpg
    mando12.jpg
    mando13.jpg
    mando14.jpg
    mando15.jpg
    mando16.jpg
    I take it that when the fin is folded back for landing, that the pilot climbs up a ladder from below and into the cockpit? Because it looks like there's just enough room in front of the pivot that is concealed by the lowered fin, to disguise room for an entry spot when its in landing configuration.
    It's not really big enough. I scaled this fighter small - the cockpit is just barely large enough for a pilot. Less roomy than a TIE/ln. Naturally I can uniform scale the whole fighter up from where it is right now, but the idea was to go for a compact and relatively inexpensive space fighter. The folding fin was a concession to storage, rather than a mode of access. I figured it would sit on a deck on a ship, and there'd be a gantry or rolling ramp for cockpit access. If you look at the landing mode, it's definitely not suitable for rough field kind of work.
    mando17.jpg
    mando18.jpg
    mando19.jpg
    mando20.jpg
    mando21.jpg
    Some gorgeous engineering and detailing here. Loving the detail on those engines. Are you putting a foot pad under that ventral fin for landing? Or will there just be a section of hull that naturally lends itself to that function?
    I think just a section of hull - it's really intended to launch from prepared decks, not random rough fields. That's also why there's not really a good way for the pilot to climb up by themselves from under the fighter - it's designed to be boarded from racks or platforms.

mando22.jpg
    mando23.jpg
    mando24.jpg
    mando25.jpg
    mando26.jpg
    Crusader gallery is up:
    crusader27.jpg
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    It still boggles the mind that Lucas Film hasn't found and hired you.
    [FONT=&quot]Fantastic stuff, very clear lineage to spacecraft seen in the movies while very much being its own animal. Looks great from a shedload of different angles too.[/FONT]
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    sojourner wrote: »
    It still boggles the mind that Lucas Film hasn't found and hired you.

They know Fractal exists. He worked on The Essential Guide to Warfare. They also stole his Star Destroyer for use in the Force Unleashed trailer.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Your TIE Hunter is being shown on facebook. Here's the thread if you're interested: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1094581307255433&id=529158443797725
    Beskad-class Starfighter gallery

Apparently beskad is a curved Mandalorian sword - I thought it appropriate.

mando46-1024x640.jpg
    Slightly impure commissioned ship based on the original. Call it a refit :)

dread1.jpg
    dread3.jpg
    dread4.jpg
    dread5.jpg
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Dreadnaught?
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Yeah, from the looks of it.
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    It's got blisters. Must be.
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Samurai wrote: »
    Dreadnaught?

Dreadnaught!
    dread6.jpg
    dread7.jpg
    dread8.jpg
    dread9.jpg
    dread10.jpg
    dread11.jpg
    dread12.jpg
    dread13.jpg
    dread14.jpg
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I think personally I'd have gone with a slightly more convex-curved slope on the upper forward hull, as the Dreadnaught IIRC was always described as having a clamshell profile - whereas some of your shots here make it look almost concave and overall beak-like.

Also is the colour/texture temporary? Seems a bit blueish for what was an Old Republic design.

Glad she's getting some love though, either way. Been a fan of these since the original Thrawn books came out. :)
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    lovin those sexy details so far
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    So good, I love the inset details!
    dread15.jpg
    dread16.jpg
    dread17.jpg
    dread18.jpg
    dread19.jpg
    dread20.jpg
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    hmm not sure how i feel about all of those turret pods randomly placed. is this based off of a existing design?
    grifxo wrote: »
    hmm not sure how i feel about all of those turret pods randomly placed. is this based off of a existing design?
    AFAIK, its based off the original expanded universe's Dreadnought cruiser, which was the main warship for the Republic prior to them switching over to Kuat Yard's 'wedge' shaped designs. Its not bad, but then again, its not good either: a classic 'jack of all trades' design. On the other hand, they're supposedly massively easy to build in large numbers, quickly, than the classic Star Destroyer. Just that they don't have room internally for all the extras that make a Star Destroyer able to carry around an entire planetary/continental sized infantry & armored garrison force + deployable base. They're pure warship.
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    grifxo wrote: »

It's a derivative / re-imagining of this, warts and all:

eBxL13F.png