Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• DanielSheniseDanielShenise0 Posts: 0Member
    In general I can't stand the WEG ships. They all scream, done on a tight deadline by someone not terribly interested in good design. That said, this is an excellent polishing of a WEG tu**. I like your proportions and general massing. The only thing I'd change at this point is eliminating the 3rd blister (counting bow to stern). I just don't think it's necessary and it crowds that section of the ship. You could then nudge blister 5 (aft-most) vertically down a little, giving it better firing clearance and generally cleaning up the hull. The quad positions along the bow are a nice addition. It might be cool or worth a look to have them mirrored vertically.

Also there was a physical model of the TIE Shuttle at Celebration Europe! That CieranHarmony guy took some pics and the Star Wars Sourcebook Facebook page shared them. The design is distinctly different from earlier presentations of it (cough, WEG, cough). My assumption is it's the official version of it. They even have a higher res pic from Empire.
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    I still think the two best 1:1 one's they've done is the Tie Interceptor for at Celebration one year, and the Lego X-Wing for Force Awakened (which was -godlike- in how well put together it was).

As for the Dreadnought itself, its known, in-universe, to be a less than top tier unit. It suffers horribly in any engagement where it goes nose-on to a target, and even worse tail-on (not one of its primary weapons can shoot straight aft without requiring the ship to turn slightly), as only 3 of the large weapon blisters on either side can actually shoot forward. However its very nasty if used to go broadside on a target, or, even better, able to turn so that its topside is engaging, as then 90% of its main/heavy guns can lock on. Conversely, it sucks if its 'above' a target, which also neatly means it has almost 0 protection against snubfighters coming in from that angle.

All of which neatly mimics some of the compromises actual WWI-WWII warships had to deal with in that in some areas they're spectacularly good, while in other areas, they're horribly exposed.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Barricade wrote: »
    I still think the two best 1:1 one's they've done is the Tie Interceptor for at Celebration one year, and the Lego X-Wing for Force Awakened (which was -godlike- in how well put together it was).

As for the Dreadnought itself, its known, in-universe, to be a less than top tier unit. It suffers horribly in any engagement where it goes nose-on to a target, and even worse tail-on (not one of its primary weapons can shoot straight aft without requiring the ship to turn slightly), as only 3 of the large weapon blisters on either side can actually shoot forward. However its very nasty if used to go broadside on a target, or, even better, able to turn so that its topside is engaging, as then 90% of its main/heavy guns can lock on. Conversely, it sucks if its 'above' a target, which also neatly means it has almost 0 protection against snubfighters coming in from that angle.

All of which neatly mimics some of the compromises actual WWI-WWII warships had to deal with in that in some areas they're spectacularly good, while in other areas, they're horribly exposed.

Pretty much all of this. With my arrangement it's a little better - all heavy turbolasers can point forward (through a tiny angle, but still), and it trades 100% armament cover topside for a 66/33 split dorsal/ventral. There are even some direct aft arcs for the medium turbolasers (for about a quarter of them). Most guns would be best on broadside.

I'm going to add some heavy missile launchers ventral, like the Kandosii, and that will help make the ship a bit more credible as a warship.

As for WEG, I'm not sure even how the tube-form ship became so popular there. It's not like the OT film ships used that format...at all, so no idea why they went with it for Carrack/Dreadnaught/Lancer/etc. when ALL imperial capitals from the films were daggers...
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Fracal: I'm sure you've been asked this...but when are we gonna see some rebel ships? I'd personally love to get your take on a B-Wing. :D
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    YIIMM wrote: »
    It's a derivative / re-imagining of this, warts and all:

eBxL13F.png

ahhhhhhhhhh yes. i know this design. but what threw me off was all of the guns in those warts as you say.
    A rework of my previous idea. I went with a more Mi-28 look. So LAAT/i:Mi-25::This craft:Mi-28

laat1.jpg
    laat2.jpg
    laat3.jpg
    laat4.jpg
    laat5.jpg
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Holy *BEEP*!!!
    If this is a Mi-28... how would an Mi-24 equivalent looks like?!
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    Holy *BEEP*!!!
    If this is a Mi-28... how would an Mi-24 equivalent looks like?!

A standard LAAT/i I guess, which was inspired by the Mil-24 :p

The Mil-28 has basically the combat capabilities of the -24 but none of the transport capacity.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    If I was a Stormtrooper I would say hell yess.A very good ride for the troops.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    That LAAT looks beautiful,much better than the previous version!
    laat6.jpg
    laat7.jpg
    laat8.jpg
    laat9.jpg
    laat10.jpg
    laat11.jpg
    laat12.jpg
  • jessepitcherjessepitcher0 Posts: 0Member
    I sure as hell wouldn't ever want to see a squadron of these bad boys pointed in MY direction.

Superb work as always, fractal. :thumb:
    laat13.jpg
    laat14.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    It looks gorgeous, fractal. But, it feel over-gunned for Star Wars for me. It's almost got a Space Marine Dropship level of gunnery on-board. The guns all look great, and they all fit that Star Wars "used industrial" motif ... but there's so MANY of them. But, hey, that's my Couldn't Model My Way Out of a Wet Hard Drive opinion. :D
    You know the LAAT/i from episode 2 had 6 of those mini superlasers, two missile launchers, and 3 laser cannon right?
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    not digging that big wide flat bottom but this has some great shapes particularly around the cockpit. and i love the wing gun designs. those are tight.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    6 gun turrets? That's a lot of gunners for the crew of one small ship.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Love the detail.What is this vehicles dimensions,or could you put a human figure next to it for reference.
    Really cool design.
    dread21.jpg
    dread22.jpg
    dread23.jpg
    dread24.jpg
    dread25.jpg
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    After seeing your Dreadnought come together Fractal, I find myself wanting (quite badly at that) to know how you would go about building a nBSG Battlestar.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Just add hangar pods to the side and this is a battlestar...
  • JuanskiJuanski331 Posts: 30Member
    I am glad that I am not the only one who saw that. Just add a couple of Vipers along side it and we are good.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    True, but the Battlestar is quite a bit bigger than this ship.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    True, but the Battlestar is quite a bit bigger than this ship.

Then it's a Strikestar. =D
    laat15-1024x768.jpg
    laat16-1024x768.jpg
    laat17-1024x768.jpg
    laat18-1024x768.jpg
    laat19-1024x768.jpg
    Gallery up:

Light Atmospheric Assault Vehicle/Infantry (LAAV/i)
    laat34-1024x640.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice
    dread26.jpg
    dread27.jpg
    dread28.jpg
    What is that under the nose?

Rescue pods or heavy rockets?