Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    9-1024x427.jpg
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    9-1024x427.jpg

you are killing it. if only you could make a video with a invasion force being deployed.
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    About my only complaint in the new image is that everything else it just -too- clean when compared to the AT-AT. Its got dirty shading which makes it look used, while the other craft are just too spotless to be real. Although the larger biped and your 6-legged walker come a little closer than the rest. Outside of that? Seriously Ansel, there's not a soul in the SW fanwork community that holds a torch to you.

-=-

Ever thought about doing a two person speeder bike that has a mini-turret in the back? Sort of like the IRL armed dune-buggies that the Navy Seals use? I mean, you've got the walkers, the juggernaut, and a tank, so why not get the rapid infantry assault stuff too?
  • wibblewibble1251 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 562Member
    Just stumbled over your artstation profile. Was about time that you got one!
    I actually wish he had a Patreon profile page. I'd be willing to drop a few $$ a month to support him.

And dear ROB*, we're on page 400.

Four. Hundred.

*Random Omnipotent Being
    Barricade wrote: »
    I actually wish he had a Patreon profile page. I'd be willing to drop a few $$ a month to support him.

And dear ROB*, we're on page 400.

Four. Hundred.

*Random Omnipotent Being

I considered it, but I don't know how the funding model would work - payout on WIP shot?

I do take paypal donations to keep the site running. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do this stuff as pure hobby, but a little support is always appreciated :) I think I'm going to try to save up for the new professional Dell 43" 4k monitor :P
    wibble wrote: »
    Just stumbled over your artstation profile. Was about time that you got one!

Seems like forums are no longer the only place to show off art. I do like the give-and-take on forums better, but the population on artstation is astonishing.
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    On the Patreon thing - I'd say if you did it as a monthly deal, you'd likely get the most bang for your buck - subscribers could see the WIP stuff, behind the scenes MAX screenshots, and if you wanted, specific model downloads. I'd definitely chip in per month - there's already a few artists I drop 5-15 bucks a month on, just because I enjoy seeing how they work. I think you should totally go for it. :D
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    A couple of things I'd definitely be happy to pay for -
    - Videos of you doing your modelling. Perhaps at 2x speed - watch the entire model (or major parts of one) being built.
    - Model downloads (lots to consider here, of course, but exclusive access to 'something' would be a major drawcard, I imagine. You could do a 'your choice of one of a selection of models for every x number of months subscribed or something similar
    - More sweet rendered scenes
    Have fun with it too.

Like say, if there's a new supporter, stick their preferred name somewhere in the model via greebles.

Very very TINY greebles, but its there. And they'll only be able to find it if they're a level 'X' Patreon, when they get access to the model. I think DanteWontDie (who's a well known Patreon) actually uses patreon supporter names as part of his cross-hatch line shadowing, much like Hirschfield used to do.

-=-=-=-

From a more serious side of things, if you do videos showing individual steps on how you do things (while obviously keeping a few 'Fractalsponge Only' tricks to yourself), you'd also likely attract people new to 3D modeling, who're doing it more for the joy/fun of it, or as a means to increase their existing skill with it. That and as we can see with Artstation & Patreon, you've got major AAA-level artists who're not only contributing members, but commenting members that actively surf through the site(s) looking both for new ideas, and for new talent.
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    All-Terrain Storm Walker (AT-SW):

biped36.jpg

Looks more evil than anything else--skulker walker.
    Should get around to posting this now that the ILM challenge is done:

mantis48-1024x640.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Love this thing. The variable config engine pods, the way the aft section subtly recalls the rear (in landed config) of Slave-1, and how the boarding ramp betrays the scale of the thing, a lot bigger than I expected. Lots to love here, and a greeblefest to boot.

:thumb:
    WIP dump incoming.

I decided I needed something to give walkers tactical mobility. I designed this as a carryall that could take all non-super-heavy vehicles, or cargo containers, that could fold to pack tightly into the Chi-class dropship, and could independently walk under a shield.

carryall_leg1.jpg
    carryall_leg2.jpg
    carryall1.jpg
    carryall2.jpg
    carryall3.jpg
    carryall4.jpg
    carryall5.jpg
    carryall6.jpg
    carryall7.jpg
    carryall8.jpg
    carryall9.jpg
    carryall10.jpg
    carryall11.jpg
    test2-2.jpg
    I'm hearing the 'yo dawg' joke right about now in my head, due to a AT-AT mini-dropship being carried inside a dropship, that's carried inside an actual carrier. For further joking, AT-ATs carry speeder bike squads.

Joking aside, that thing is actually quite intimidating. The forward view in that second to last image reminds me of either a king crab or a spider of some kind.

Might I suggest that you make it so that the forward most and rear most legs can pivot further away from the body? Then it can potentially carry three of the smaller AT walkers, rather than be reduced to carrying just one at a time.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    definitely a crab - not seeing spider at all
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Yeah that's a little too zoomorphic for my tastes. The "eye" viewports would be better consolidated as a single strip, IMO at least.

And as Barricade hinted, the whole Russian doll effect of carriers within carriers within carriers, that then.. carry things... might be a bit of overkill!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Has a bit of a stealth drone feeling to me with the shape of the main body. I like it. I assume the functionality of them is to allow for more versatility on a drop. Rather than have all the Walkers in an assault force all deploy from a single drop location, this allows them to tactically spread their forces out more to allow for flanking or pincer manoeuvres, dropping your main force in one location that your enemy looks to to see you coming while you have also deployed additional forces to either side which your enemy won't see until it is too late.
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    not sure about this idea. but the model looks awesome.
    The idea is based on one basic concept: repulsorlift can't easily go through shields. That means you can land wherever you want outside a shield, but your walkers have to slowly amble through and then slowly walk to the shield generator. So what can you do to speed things up? You need a dropship that can walk basically. Something like a Chi is too large to make this look plausible.

The Russian doll thing is just an artifact of the setting's scale. Modern day settings don't have vehicles across many orders of magnitude scale.

I might try it with a single visor, but the design was to have the bare minimum "ship". So there are two crew, one on each side of the chin antipersonnel gun mount, and there's not much of an interior otherwise. A big wide visor means crew of 3-4, which have no real use for something like this, which is just a truck. Pilot and co-pilot/gunner are about all you need. Plus the chin mount would have to go, since the thing is pretty thin - a visor over the top of the mount means whatever crew is in the middle would probably have to be prone to fit.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I dub thee The Stink Bug.
    you know if repulsor lift vehiels cant easily get through a shield why not wheels or tracks (far faster than walkers) or, and here is the BIGGY........ Wings - thats right aerodynamic lift :)
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    That's an nasty moth there!
    I think the rationale goes that anything flying gets hit by shield discharges from the ground. Slow things can pass through, so that might not work for a ship big enough to ignore the static/whatever. Wheels and tracks would be better in all respects except for height for line of sight weapons. Really, at the end of the day, SW uses mecha, and mecha have their own needs.
    Gallery: Zeta-class Tactical Carryall

carryall31.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann696 Posts: 1,339Member
    "All right you, giddy up! Yee haw!"
    While I did the joke earlier, I see things like this:

Carrier stays up in orbit and provides both near & far orbital supremacy, deep space supremacy, planetary ranging scans, and look-down orbital artillery.

Dropship acts as both a beachhead and as the initial basis for a firebase that can be expanded into a permanent garrison later. Once the garrison is initially capable of withstanding a minimum level of assault, the Dropship can be used to ferry yet more forces up/down between the carrier and the planet.

Carry-alls act as rapid deployment platforms to move your armored walkers into critical positions while not leaving the firebase exposed due to absence of the Dropship and said Dropship's firepower (plus more than likely having links to its onboard reactors to boost the base's shields and firepower). The Carry-alls can also act as local ground suppression via air assault via coordinating between the walkers and the orbital carrier.
    we know things can fly under the shield - rebels had loads of repulsor vehicles - snow speeders transports x-wings all lifted while under the shield so its obviously the coming into the shield that is the problem - so once under the shield the thing coudl take flight again and have flying at- at's :D
    Under the shield, but not through the shield.
    Barricade wrote: »
    While I did the joke earlier, I see things like this:

Carrier stays up in orbit and provides both near & far orbital supremacy, deep space supremacy, planetary ranging scans, and look-down orbital artillery.

Dropship acts as both a beachhead and as the initial basis for a firebase that can be expanded into a permanent garrison later. Once the garrison is initially capable of withstanding a minimum level of assault, the Dropship can be used to ferry yet more forces up/down between the carrier and the planet.

Carry-alls act as rapid deployment platforms to move your armored walkers into critical positions while not leaving the firebase exposed due to absence of the Dropship and said Dropship's firepower (plus more than likely having links to its onboard reactors to boost the base's shields and firepower). The Carry-alls can also act as local ground suppression via air assault via coordinating between the walkers and the orbital carrier.

Pretty much this. If there's no opposition, the carrier (depending on what size it is) just lands itself or enters atmo and disgorges everything in one go. Dropships are needed when you need to divide the force so everything doesn't get shot down in one neat, unmaneuverable package, or if you need to hit more than one target. Carry-alls are utility, and also get a specialized role in providing high mobility despite shield barriers.

The smaller your carrying platform, the less you risk to one hit, the harder it is to hit to begin with, and the more targets you can hit at once.