Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, coming together in a most interesting fashion, detailing is awesome as ever, liking the more Imperial-esque details being added to the bridge towers such as the sunken ISD style sensor/shield domes and tractor beam targeting arrays, I'm guessing the additional array is to cope with the increased traffic that might need tractor beam assisted landing manoeuvres during heavy deployment. With that central trench you have some massive hangar openings towards the the lower section, are large drop ships or whatever are going to launch from there going to have enough room to manoeuvre in that trench? Looks like it might be quite tight for cornering on launch, or are you thinking of having the bigger ships launch sideways out of those massive hangars so they're already pointing in the right direction when they enter the trench? Also what are the lights on the floor of the trench? Some form of guidance/landing strip runway lights for returning ships or something?

Great work.

:thumb:
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Fractal are you going to model what ever is on the other side of those big doors? Would love to see a endless forest of AT-AT legs.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    evakmar16.jpg
    evakmar17.jpg

Dropships in the middle trench will slide out from the doors, then up and out. If you'v ever seen Homeworld ships deploy, think of it like that.
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    love the details but the shape is not working for me.
    Some armored doors for the dorsal hangar trench, and all work to date:

evakmar20.jpg
    evakmar18.jpg
    evakmar19.jpg
    Like it, the trench doors are a nice finishing touch for that area, bringing to mind the Republic Venator class ships. What are those lights on the deck of the trench supposed to be though?
    Just illumination for the bay.
    the doors look fantastic. surprised by the lack of guns on this one. whats up?
    Just illumination for the bay.

Ahhh, okay. Yeah makes sense that you'd need a lot of illumination in there.

Grifxo, I believe those cylindrical details across the outer trench are turbolaser mounts, as are the circular hull surface details unless I'm very much mistaken. Looks like less weapons than an ISD but I'd expect something like this to be deployed with a lot of support or picket ships covering it's ass, or as part of a much bigger fleet deployment so I'd guess it would never be short on cover from other ships in the fleet, and as a result wouldn't have to be all that heavily armed itself. Not to mention added support from the s**tstorm of ships it'll be deploying.
    Engines starting to take shape.

evakmar21.jpg

I'm leaving primary armament for last. Expect ~ Venator firepower distributed around the hull.
    will there also be engines in those twin flat nose sections in the back?
  • DanielSheniseDanielShenise0 Posts: 0Member
    I go on vacation for two weeks and come back to seeing my GFFA equivalent of an LHD! Its Christmas in July.
    Loving the super deep greebling in the arse end of this thing, really sells the scale as being immense.
  • DanielSheniseDanielShenise0 Posts: 0Member
    I hate to bring this up now, but I think if you extended the ventral spine element further forward it might look a little more proportionate when viewed from the frontal angles. You might consider extending it aft a bit too. Otherwise, I'm totally stoked you took a stab at this.
    the back end detail shot is amazing.
    Landing gear layout:
    evakmar25.jpg
    evakmar26.jpg
    evakmar27.jpg
    evakmar28.jpg
    Nice, that config works really well for your landing struts there. Repulsorlift assisted like with the Acclimator and Venator I guess? Was actually looking at doing something similar to this design for my Corellian ship design's forward gear, but perhaps with an additional joint in the middle so it can fold up more compact when retracted. The rear gear will be simpler heavy short struts extending from the lower half of the engine casings.

anyway, getting off topic now, so once again, great work on those gear. Ahh, just figured out what is going on with the detailing on the inside of those landing strut bay doors, very cool detailing and mechanical design.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Fantastic progress, Ansel. She's looking badass. :cool:

I have to say though, I understand that the actual thickness of those landing struts would be huge and their arrangement would very effectively spread the load, but they still tend to look a little weak/spindly when compared with the rest of the ship, especially with their pivot point so far off the weight bearing feet 'pads'.
    Comco wrote: »
    Fantastic progress, Ansel. She's looking badass. :cool:I have to say though, I understand that the actual thickness of those landing struts would be huge and their arrangement would very effectively spread the load, but they still tend to look a little weak/spindly when compared with the rest of the ship, especially with their pivot point so far off the weight bearing feet 'pads'.
    Yeah the design follows Acclamator, where according to the source materials the feet provide stability but not really any serious load bearing. SW capital ships at this size are simply too heavy to actually be supported without repulsors. The ships would be fine, but the planet beneath wouldn't be able to handle it.

If you look at the aft feet of the Acclamator, they are almost horizontal.
    Here are more details to the area, with the legs mid-deployment.

evakmar29.jpg
    Nice, loving this stuff.

:thumb:
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Really awesome stuff.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Nice work as always Ansel
    Gear detail and integration:

evakmar30.jpg
    evakmar31.jpg
    evakmar32.jpg
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Wow just wow.
    Getting there on ventral side:

evakmar33.jpg
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    HOLY GREEBLES BATMAN! :thumb:
    That underside is quite greebletastic isn't it?

:p

Ansel, are you planning any massive boarding/offloading ramps on that underside similar to the Acclamator, or are you thinking all cargo would be offloaded in drop ships and the like?

I assume that yummy cluster of greebly goodness are banks and banks of ventral artillery to defend the ship when landed?
    Spine about done. Debarkation hatch in the middle. Armament comes next I think.

evakmar34.jpg