Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCalling all Stargate Fans!

• freekzillafreekzilla2 Posts: 0Member
    specs2 wrote:
    that ship is from starship troopers or otherwise known as roughnecks.

Actually, what I was referring to was the very front of the ship. If you look at it, you'll notice that it's nearly the same as the front of the unknown alien ship from season 7 ep 13, "Grace". The rest of the ship is different, but the front section bares an uncanny resemblance. That's why I posted it. That's all.
    Raffs wrote:
    Looks like a good start It's got a nice moduler feel to it ,on the modeling side your edges look a bit sharp you may want to look at putting a bevel on them also on the scale side of things if that is the scale with a deadalus class then the windows on the control tower need to be alot smaller
    but as i said good start keep it up.:)

Thanks! It's hard to get the edges to be softer in Bryce. Especially with the complexity needed to get the shape right. :( But, the textured version is a little better. What areas do you see as the worst offenders? The control tower is a problem I have, if I go smaller with the windows, they can't be seen very well. I'll try resizing them later today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    freekzilla wrote:
    Thanks! It's hard to get the edges to be softer in Bryce. Especially with the complexity needed to get the shape right. :( But, the textured version is a little better. What areas do you see as the worst offenders? The control tower is a problem I have, if I go smaller with the windows, they can't be seen very well. I'll try resizing them later today.
    Hi Mate well i can't advise on how to do it in bryce If you'd been using lightwave then i could of as it's so easy to do. you may want to start a thread to see if anyone knows how to do it as it is a major part of hard surface modeling.
    As for the windows try upping the lumanosity of the colour your using or better still model a basic room and put a light in it. I did do a mini tut on how i did the windows on the renown to help a chap out on a different site if i can find it i'll post it here it's done for lightwave but it'll explanine what i mean.
    Raffs wrote:
    As for the windows try upping the lumanosity of the colour your using or better still model a basic room and put a light in it. I did do a mini tut on how i did the windows on the renown to help a chap out on a different site if i can find it i'll post it here it's done for lightwave but it'll explanine what i mean.

That's what I did. Room with a light. Although, I did tie the window size to the overall size. The previous version had a much smaller tower overall. I'll just resize the windows a bit. I don't want to make them too small. Control towers tend to have large windows. But maybe not THAT large. *wink*

What areas are the worst as far as the sharp edges go? Or is it just all of them? Just trying to find the problems that others could see so that my technique gets better.
    Well i'd say all of the box sections however if your software is that much of a pain then i'd look at having a bash at the edges marked on the pic first.
    I've not marked all the edges but you get the idear :)
    freekzilla wrote:
    Here's an idea, what if the pyramid was a little different, say a Mayan type of pyramid instead of the Egyptian smooth style? After all, they never explained why there were 3 ancient cultures with pyramids, Egyptian, Mayan and there are pyramids in Thailand. Could they all be related somehow? Hmmmm? :idea:

Nice idea :-) Maybe I'll make upgrade.
    In fact, I made another ship for my fanfic, but I'm not so proud for it as I'm at Odyssey or Scarab. It's based on Sumerian zikkurat, however, now I see that maybe more look like egyptian mastaba ..
    (Again, I made only concept, model from R@ 100)

zikkurat4.JPG
    Raffs wrote:
    Well i'd say all of the box sections however if your software is that much of a pain then i'd look at having a bash at the edges marked on the pic first.
    I've not marked all the edges but you get the idear :)

Okie dokie. I'll get to work on that today. Gotta get some sleep first though. Haven't slept in nearly 26 hours now. :cool:
  • thorthefifththorthefifth0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's the 70 percent completed unnamed carrier. Should be finished and ready to texture tommorrow night.
    Attachment not found.
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    That's a big ship....
    Here's an update on my space station. I put the textures on now so I could get a better feel for how it will affect the edge sharpness. I'm gonna start putting in the details and greebles soon. I know it's done in Bryce, can't help that right now. It's a pretty big file. 46.5MB, 301 objects, 364,121 polygons. All that and it's not even close to being done. I must be bonkers for attempting this.

Raffs, are some of the edges any better? :confused: I know it's a little dark. I was working with the lights for this render.
    freekzilla wrote:
    Here's an update on my space station. I put the textures on now so I could get a better feel for how it will affect the edge sharpness. I'm gonna start putting in the details and greebles soon. I know it's done in Bryce, can't help that right now. It's a pretty big file. 46.5MB, 301 objects, 364,121 polygons. All that and it's not even close to being done. I must be bonkers for attempting this.

Raffs, are some of the edges any better? :confused: I know it's a little dark. I was working with the lights for this render.
    Well you can't make them out to well in the pic so it's hard to say. But the texture looks interesting and the lighting looks like a good start.
    Oh well back too printing the lightwave V9 manual all 1500 pages of it :eek:
    re-rendering a brighter image now.
    Threre we go, a bit easier to see now. Still a long way to go though.
    freekzilla wrote:
    Threre we go, a bit easier to see now. Still a long way to go though.
    It looks alot better :) although the texture looks way to dark and any greeble/details that you do will get lost in it.
    yeah, I have to work on that. Been trying to get the lighting, texture brightness and ambient light just right. I think I'm on the right path though.
    It would look really smart as part of a far larger structure too.
    It does look good, though.
    bar.
    Bar wrote:
    It would look really smart as part of a far larger structure too.
    It does look good, though.
    bar.

It's pretty big now as it is. Those 4 bays are twice the size of the Daedalus now. Look at post #257 and you'll see what I mean. The total length of the station from the far left to the far right on the image is about 4 Daedalus's. I figured it out and between the 4 bays you could have about 120 F-302's on that one station, with plenty of extra room too. That's pretty big. Maybe not big like a Wraith Hive ship or an Asgard ship, but Huuuge for something built by Earth. ;)
    I know it's big. I just meant kind of a "proto-Starbase" type structure(Extending above and below the hangar part).
    Just a thought.
    Maybe even a huge weapons platform like Cairo-Station in Halo2?
    bar.
  • miragemirage0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work freekzilla. Your space station looks really good and is just about the right size in my opinion. One quick question for you... can a Daedalus class ship fit in one of those bays now or is it just a little bit too small? I was looking at a previous post and it looked like it was almost big enough for one to fly in a land for repairs or maybe even build one in orbit. Thought it might be cool/good to have that option since it is the size that it is. Anyways regardless great work and I look forward to updates.
    Heres some progress on my Daedalus.
    I kinda start to like it but its hard to get it right coz theres not that much reference available, and some screengrabs are contradictive.
    not much reference? are you kidding me? lol

check stargate screencaps for plenty of references
    Eagle nice start on your daedalus.

Heres my two stargate meshes that Im currently working on.

updatesne1.jpg
    Bar wrote:
    I know it's big. I just meant kind of a "proto-Starbase" type structure(Extending above and below the hangar part).
    Just a thought.
    Maybe even a huge weapons platform like Cairo-Station in Halo2?
    bar.

Bar, I think I'm getting near the end of that station. The file for it is already up to 101MB!!! LOL! It takes almost half a minute to load everything for it. And my computer is no slouch either: Dual Core 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.09, 2GB Dual channel DDR400 ram, Ati x1600 256MB vid card, 240GB HDD (3 SATA x 80GB), with extra virtual memory on all 3 drives for an extra 6GB of virtual ram. Not the highest end but I've gotten every inch of performance out of it I think. I did the same mods to my system as I did with my old system. That old one, a P3 800 actually performed as fast as some 1.2Ghz models.

I tried it in an earlier version with the center "pods" sitting above and below the hangar bays and it didn't look just right. I wanted to keep it simpatico with the current personality of Earth based designs. And I kinda wanted to keep the living quarters, storage and such "tucked in" between the 4 hangar bays. I really want to stay away from the Star Trek style of space station. I never really liked the space stations in Star Trek. Too "clean" in design. On the other hand, DS9 was more to my taste. I know, you probably think I'm nuts. I am currently testing some additions to give the station more height in the middle area. I'd like to keep the overall shape a little flatter so that the defensive rail guns have clear fields of fire. In space it's easier to build out rather than up. Things like elevators and ladders take up valuable space. Generally speaking, Earth technology, ships etc, tends to be more multi purpose. So even though it will have weapons, it will not be a weapons platform.

I've also adjusted the lighting and texture brightness levels. I think I've got it just about right. The darker renders were geared more towards what it would actually look like in space. I think I've hit a happy medium.

I just started the next rendering and with AA on at the basic level, and with the background objects in, a nebula, and it's going to take 2 hours and 49 minutes to render. I can't imagine what it will take when I raise the ray trace level up and with the AA set to high. OUCH! :D

I'll post it when it's done rendering. Thanks for your ideas and CC.
    Dallidas wrote:
    not much reference? are you kidding me? lol

check stargate screencaps for plenty of references

I just checked out that site, YEOWCH! They should just have posted the video considering all the caps they have. And I just checked out the SG-1 S10 Ep 1 caps!!
    Mirage, Ha ha ha. Nope, the station is too small to fit Daedalus class ships inside the bays. The station's bays would need to be MUCH larger because to get the ship in and out the doors would need to be larger than the ship. Then, because the doors are soo big, the bay they are installed in need to be correspondingly larger too. Generally speaking, in most cases, the bay needs to be around 50% larger on both sides of the door, either left and right or top and bottom. This space is to allow the door to move out of the way either into the walls or into the bay itself. There are ways to minimize the space needed with different door configurations, but you will almost always have a bay that is much larger than the door itself. It's a little different though when it's a hangar bay on earth in the atmosphere. You don't need to be air tight here on the ground.

Thanks for the compliments. It's especially nice to get them considering the program I am working in isn't the most flexible. Darn that Bryce. LOL!!

And for your nice compliment, here's another update. Enjoy.

What does everyone think?
    Looking good there mate:)
    Raffs wrote:
    Looking good there mate:)

Believe it or not, that's entirely done in Bryce. No Photoshop touch up or anything. :)

Thanks by the way. What have you been up to?
    freekzilla wrote:
    Believe it or not, that's entirely done in Bryce. No Photoshop touch up or anything. :)

Thanks by the way. What have you been up to?
    Not alot in terms of modeling but i've got to force myself to get on with my project list as i still have a number of outstanding projects to do such as:-
    My firefly (part done)
    Jafa jackel helmet (fan film)
    Renown refit (half done)
    F302 engine update (not started)
    Renown Logo (Half done)
    Defence platform ( going through a total redisign)
    Spitfire remake ( Part done)
    Spitfire picture( freedom fighter) tweeks to do
    1000 pages of the lightwave V9 manual still to print
    Get used to Lightwave V9's new nodel texturing system and other new toyes
    My web site to get up and running
    But it's just to dam hot at the moment and not getting to sleep until 4am and then up at 7am to take the dog for a walk
    And then theres the DIY to do around the house its just never ending guess it's a good thing that i'm out of work at the moment.
    Raffs wrote:
    Not alot in terms of modeling but i've got to force myself to get on with my project list as i still have a number of outstanding projects to do such as:-
    My firefly (part done)
    Jafa jackel helmet (fan film)
    Renown refit (half done)
    F302 engine update (not started)
    Renown Logo (Half done)
    Defence platform ( going through a total redisign)
    Spitfire remake ( Part done)
    Spitfire picture( freedom fighter) tweeks to do
    1000 pages of the lightwave V9 manual still to print
    Get used to Lightwave V9's new nodel texturing system and other new toyes
    My web site to get up and running
    But it's just to dam hot at the moment and not getting to sleep until 4am and then up at 7am to take the dog for a walk
    And then theres the DIY to do around the house its just never ending guess it's a good thing that i'm out of work at the moment.

Did I cause you to redesign your defence platform? :(
    Here's a trick I learned to sleep in the heat. Put an ice pack in between your legs in your crotch area. It does 2 things, promote increased sperm production and with all the blood vessels down there, cools you off quickly. For the projects, well, pick the one you can get done the easiest and knock it out ASAP, it'll make you feel better.
This discussion has been closed.