Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFalcon - Allied Hunter/Killer - The Detailing Continuums

• StarshipStarship482 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,998Member
    YouA’re the best Steve! Model, texture and lights... All perfect!
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla799 HelsinkiPosts: 2,872Administrator
    Awesome. Also, headered.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
    This baby is freaking SWEET!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Outstanding man!

I kinda like the 6 sensor/tracking device things. I think they would appear more powerfull at a glance than just having 3...but thats just me. Whatever you do is fine with me bro.
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Dam Steve that is some very impressive work there mate. I would say Congrates on the header, but your model are always granted to get up there. ;)

Keep up the out standing work mate! :thumb:
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    Thanks Guerrilla! and all for the comments:)

Always an honour to make it to the header, so much fantastic work up there.

Regarding the shader, that gets tweaked between every render and i've more test renders than i've posted here. A realistic metallic surface is as difficult to achieve as anything else, and i've made literally hundreds of adjustments of shader and textures to get to this stage.

The highlights were a little overblown in the last render because i boosted the keylight a little. The actual problem with the shader is that the environment colour seems to dominate the maps, giving it an overly glossy look thats evident in the blue reflection. Here's a comparision with a Lume metal shader to demonstrate, though this shader looks better with the environment reflection, it looks worse with everything else.
    68984.jpg
    Well since there's no suggestions for shaders i'll stick with what i have. i can't seem to find anything better. Little bit more detailing and texturing - i'm texturing as i add detail at the moment, so the whole stern/ engine section is getting a fresh dusting of extra lines and little hatches, vents and things as i add the textures. a time consuming process and kinda hard to see under the textures but you'd notice the difference if they weren't there, not least because it allows me to break up the textures in more detail.
    69117.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Oh man - I must have missed your previous post. I was going to say that a combo of the two photos would look right to me...but I dont know ANYTHING about shaders or texturing (other than procedural that is) at all.

The last pic looks great and again I cant wait to see this thing in a scene bro.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Put a shark's mouth on it!
  • cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
    Utterly amazing
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    Put a shark's mouth on it!

That would look kinda neat.

Eitherway, that last render is my new desktop.
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    She's a beauty alright. Can't wait to see her in all of her glory. :D
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Extremly inspiring work, Steve! At least I know what skills I have still to improve...
    Road Warrior, well its often the way that i wish i could take one feature from one thing and use it with another and that would be possible with compositing, if i wanted to render the scene out twice everytime... It should even be possible to blend the 2 together, with maybe something like a shadow/light falloff to control the blend. Not sure what impact that would have on render time but might be something i'll try. Also there's more that can be done with a lume - again combining it with other things, and i might go back and see if i can build a better material at some point. The arch materials are still very nice however, and part of their appeal is that if you want metal, you just select it from the list, and it actually looks kinda like metal. It's very easy to use which makes the hours of tweaking and rendering, and rendering and tweaking, slightly less tedious.

Tovette hah, yeah i'm thinking of more paintwork to put on there so who knows;)

Alnair, I'm not sure if anyone would actually want to emulate this crazy way of building a spaceship.;) didn't you have something up on the header, way back in 2002? I remember looking at that not long after i joined, and thinking how cool it was, how much skill it must have required to build, and i still think that when i see your latest work.

cuya, efritsch, salsa, cheers.

Here's an update/redetailing (ongoing) of the fins, the upper part could be moved for additional control as a single piece (though the 'rudder' surface still moves) this will be copied around to make the the fin tips all steerable.
    69176.jpg
    Cool, it's kinda like a full rudder with a very large trim tab.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Well...I still wanna see you know what Steve...nope, won't actually say it anymore...but...dude..seriously...this thing is just sick badass....
    wha? oh that. no, not gonna happen.;)

Salsa, well a very large trim tab at that... perhaps i'll add some actual tabs to the surfaces.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    *insert generic "omg this thing is nuts" praise comment here*

just curious, do you work for any major studio?

@sorceress, what did I miss? full interior? ummm......I wonder if we started a poll and got like 1000 votes would coolhand do a full interior for this thing? lol
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Berkut wrote: »
    If he doesn't, he should.
    Coolhand wrote: »

Alnair, I'm not sure if anyone would actually want to emulate this crazy way of building a spaceship.;) didn't you have something up on the header, way back in 2002? I remember looking at that not long after i joined, and thinking how cool it was, how much skill it must have required to build, and i still think that when i see your latest work.

I think you are right. That must have been the "Blue Dragon" one of my first finished models. But to return the compliment: a good artist should always realize what he can still learn from an outstanding one. The panelling technique you are using for the fine details of the fusselage (e.g. the rivets) removed the scales from my eyes. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Amazing stuff :) You said you were having trouble with shaders. Have you tryed Vray?
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Berkut wrote: »
    *insert generic "omg this thing is nuts" praise comment here*

@sorceress, what did I miss? full interior? ummm......I wonder if we started a poll and got like 1000 votes would coolhand do a full interior for this thing? lol

For the sake of entertainment I wanted Coolhand to give the Ionia a Coca-Cola livery...Because in the future even military ships will need corporate sponsorship..:shiner:

No, though that would be funny, I was talking about my desire to see some cockpit windows..
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    For the sake of entertainment I wanted Coolhand to give the Ionia a Coca-Cola livery...Because in the future even military ships will need corporate sponsorship..:shiner:

No, though that would be funny, I was talking about my desire to see some cockpit windows..

lmao. I remember he put a pop machine on one of his ships (may have been the akula). This wouldn't be that far off
    All in favor of a Coca-Cola Ionia say "aye"

AYE AYE!!
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    It looks like there's some nasty pole-pinching just below the "intakepanels". :o
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    Alnair wrote: »
    I think you are right. That must have been the "Blue Dragon" one of my first finished models. But to return the compliment: a good artist should always realize what he can still learn from an outstanding one. The panelling technique you are using for the fine details of the fusselage (e.g. the rivets) removed the scales from my eyes. :)

i'm still searching for pictures of that ship... To bad i lost all saved ones long ago :(
    Berkut, nyrath, no not fulltime but i've worked freelance for a game studio and for a studio in new york on a TV show that didn't go anywhere. I usually freelance to build digital prototypes for miniatures.

i'm currently between jobs, waiting for a couple to begin. But if anyone out there is offering a permanent position somewhere i might be interested depending on location.

also, if anyone wants to hire me on a freelance/remote basis i'd be ready to start today!:) jobs are somewhat thinner on the ground than they were. and i probably don't do anywhere near enough to promote myself - i've never even put a demo reel together!

I have begun to sell models though (links in my sig at the bottom of the post). Eventually they'll all be online and if anyone wanted a model from me directly they could have a copy for a lot less than advertised, since the vendor sites take a gigantic chunk in commission.

Alnair, hah, well thankyou sir, i hope your eyes are feeling better now;)

Nutsy, no, but all the materials are setup for mental ray, which everyone has so in the interests of maximum compatibility i'd rather use those materials.

sorceress21, No. Nono nononono. Capiche?;) If cocacola want advertising space they can damn well pay for it.. theres a recession on don't ya know;)

may well be an easter egg of some sort in this ship tho

pip, yes its pinched, but not because of poles. I've actually had a hard time figuring out what to do to fix it, but it involved cutting extra lines in either side of the lines of rivets.

here's another huge 3000px render. I really need to go back and redo the textures for the main hull to remove some banding thats resulted from me overprocessing some layers and i don't really like the thermal protection materials... but maybe i can improve them and they'll look better once its all completely textured. poly count is somewhere over 3,000,000. with nearly everything @ 2x subdivision iterations.
    69250.jpg
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Alnair, hah, well thankyou sir, i hope your eyes are feeling better now;)
    I guess so. :) BTW Cool rendering!
    Ooo, she looks ... deadly :devil:
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    That chrome like finish doesn't look right IMO. I would imagine a vehicle like this wouldn't have it's metallic skin open to the elements but covered in some finish that would diffuse the light a little more. It's looking awesome, though!