Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFalcon - Allied Hunter/Killer - The Detailing Continuums

• CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    a bit more texturing, i need a larger area to assess how the texture will work out, trying to keep it subtle... The text is added via a mask and blend material and mapped onto a different channel than the hull texture.
    68556.jpg
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    those panels look like they have seen some action.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh very nice, I like the look of the paneling.
    thanks. the panels certainly look very battered at that angle, which puts the hull at a shallow angle to the keylight. they probably would be since even before seeing any action they'd be exposed to incredible heat, dynamic pressure, intense cold and no pressure.

here's some more tweaks to the texture and the mapping coordinates - the textures tend to wander as the smoothing is applied so extra care has to be taken in some areas but they aren't perfect yet. I've changed the texture and shader quite a bit, improved the bump map too.

*edit* does SFM's server now resample Jpg's? for some reason i save everything at a fairly high quality but when they're uploaded here they seem to be half the filesize and a much lower quality, anyone else noticing this or is it just me?
    68566.jpg68570.jpg68575.jpg
    I can see want you mean about the textures sliding a little... its barely noticeable but i can see that some of the rivet lines don't line up... Looks pretty good though. And I have noticed that some of my files seem to be smaller after upload... I thought it was just a glitch...
    yeh it's nothing that can't be fixed or tweaked out. i'm getting the hang of it now, every panel is mapped individually and needs its own adjustments. In the last pic i posted you can see quite a big distortion below the reg number (which looks awful, the letters i mean) but that distortion can be fixed by cutting another line in.

Aside from that i'm really pleased with how these are turning out, one aim of this project is to learn to make something that you can get really close to and it shouldn't look too cg-ey. Not only do they have detail up close, but they also seem to work pretty well from further away, taken a fair bit of tweaking to make the sub-panels apparent, but not too obvious.
    And I have noticed that some of my files seem to be smaller after upload... I thought it was just a glitch...

yes, i'm not the only one apparently. According to IRML it does it to any jpg over a certain size... but there doesn't seem to be any forum setting that controls it. weird.
    what size maps are you using? they look so crisp.
    currently its just one 2048x2048 map. with a mask for the text. Textures really add a lot to render times and use a lot of memory, so i'm more concerned about keeping those to minimum over geometry, which will be somewhere over 3million @ 2x subdivision when finished. hopefully this'll use less memory for textures than the akula, but look better.. you couldn't really get this close to the akula.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Talking about your other meshes, I was wondering if you ever did a cockpit for the Foxhound.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely job mate!
    Thanks meph, cavebear, nope.
    Another large 3000px image.
    68609.jpg
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Your work never ceases to amaze me.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Thanks meph, cavebear, nope.

That's a shame but no where does it say you can't make up for it by doing a complete interior for this new one :devil::flippy::lol:

No, I'm not going to run away...

Everybody!

Coolhand - full interiors!
    :lol::lol:
    Just s**ting you man :lol::thumb:
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand, the work you do is just awe inspiring!
    Mikey, efritsch, thanks guys, glad you're enjoying it.

cavebear, well you never know... keep watching.
    68651.jpg
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Diggin' the renders. That full body shot a few posts back would just be great in an environment scene. Like, perhaps on a tarmac or something with maintenance people and trucks around it. :)

Hahaha, your chip should make a cameo in Howards alien attack animation :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow the lighting render really compliments your design
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    atomicship wrote: »
    Wow the lighting render really compliments your design
    You know the stale old bromide. It takes three things to make a great render: great mesh, great textures, great lighting.

I'm never going to be as good as Coolhand, though. His work is amazing.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Hot damn! That is beautiful.
    Tovette wrote: »
    Diggin' the renders. That full body shot a few posts back would just be great in an environment scene. Like, perhaps on a tarmac or something with maintenance people and trucks around it. :)

That would be awesome.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Impressive texturing!
    Thanks guys, glad you're all liking it. I've been pleasantly surprised by how this has turned out:) mainly because i thought it would be way more difficult to get to this point and its pretty lightweight in terms of texture space but i think seems to do the job.
    Diggin' the renders. That full body shot a few posts back would just be great in an environment scene. Like, perhaps on a tarmac or something with maintenance people and trucks around it.

Hahaha, your chip should make a cameo in Howards alien attack animation

Yeah thats a shot i'd really like to do with it. really down from the level of someone approaching the ship.

And as long as it kicks some arse in the animation, howard would be welcome to a copy...;)

Here's some more shader testing....
    68690.jpg
  • Cyba_stormCyba_storm171 Posts: 0Member
    Shiny :)
    Looks pretty good. The text looks a bit to clean compared to the rest of it though...
    yeh it probably is a bit clean.. i've made some tweaks to the mask so its slightly transparent over the panels.
    68691.jpg
    looks a bit better, do you plan to add any weathering or scratches to it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Is that R2D2 in front of the turret. na juss kidding. But I would like to know what it is. It looks...........intriguing.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent texture work!

Steve you realy captured the essence of this thing in the thread thumbnail.
  • cacysunleecacysunlee0 Posts: 0Member
    Great design and work, i did not expect otherwise from Steve Tyler.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Those are proceedural textures, right?