Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFalcon - Allied Hunter/Killer - The Detailing Continuums

CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
edited September 2012 in Work in Progress #1
*Edit*

(2010)for those new to the thread it's basically changed totally over the last couple of years and many things previously considered for this ship have changed, drastically to establish a new look for this faction.

*Edit 2* It's now autumn 2012, i have decided it needs more detail... I have also changed the name from ionia to falcon.

It's that time again, and it's been about 3 years since the Allies recieved any reinforcements. Those with long memories will remember the Sheffield was the counterpart to the October class, the Columbia class was the answer to the Lenin. The Krasnoi Class was built after the Tigon but they would be roughly the same flagship vessel... So, going with that tradition, this vessel is a Hunter/Killer to combat the Akula, or at least to fulfill the same role, the vessels have similar capabilities.

Though it's slower than an Akula, it carries more armour and it's equipment is more sophisticated making it more lethal at long range. Allied intelligence estimate that in a straight fight, it would take at least 1.6 Akulas to shoot down 1 Ionia, useful as the Akula has a 2:1 advantage in numbers.

The model itself is still a bit of a mess as a result of adjusting the shapes but i'm pretty happy with the shape so far. It's meant to take after the Tigon and the Sheffield, mostly the sail and the upper structures - the Allied ships tend to have sails and more flowing shapes while the Soviets have an overhanging structure and are more angular overall.

I hope you like it so far, and that this will be as fun as last years WIP:D remember this is at a very early stage, though i'm hoping it won't take as long as last time.:D

Cheers.:)

*edit* updated thumbnail to illustrate current version.
97672.jpg
Post edited by Coolhand on
Tagged:

• backsteptbackstept2392 Posts: 974Member
    ooh this is going to be fun :D
    hopefully I'll actually learn something from this!

what's that '55' for?
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice...me wants to see what come out of thees...
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    nice, needs refinement, but what doesn't right, be good to see another coolhand WIP. Heck even at this stage it is prettier then most of my designs.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a very promising start!
  • Thy KingThy King0 Posts: 0Member
    ooohhhh, suhhweeeheet!!

*translation: "sweet"*

I guess this is one of those highly detailed ships. Already looking foreward to the results!
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet!!!

*quickly saves the original pic as a memento* :D

never gonna look like that again ;)

Looking forward to the start of another great project!
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Hey I accually caught one at the begining this time... Im with backstept, hoping to learn something as this progresses...
  • derelictderelict0 Posts: 0Member
    Ahh, finally! I've always enjoyed your wips. Im sure this one will be as great as the last one!
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    Thanks guys, Yeah i'm sorry i don't do these so often... If you like these wips you'd better make the most of em, i've got less and less time to work on them these days, which is a good thing really:)

Ozy, lol, yeah it'll change a bit, at the moment i've shortened it, hopefully it won't change to much more.

Backstept, it's just a random number to make it look more 'concepty'... :D perhaps that's where the ships ID number will go when it's finished.
  • Joy!!!:D
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    You should pass some of these models off to DarthMaya so he can do animations with them. A space battle or the like... :P

Nice work! (Very healthy design, but thats what you are paid for, so...)

-albert
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    "Marthaaaaaa! He's doing it again!" :thumb: :thumb: Lookin forward to seeing this one develop O'hand de la cool!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Awesomeness, yours are among my favorite WIPS. I like the shape of this one, and it's for the allies this time! (Though I have a soft spot for the soviet vessels as well)
    hehe a coolhand wip, now im all excited!
  • backsteptbackstept2392 Posts: 974Member
    O'hand de la cool!
    that's like Frirish . . . or Irench . . . :lol:

this ship looks like more than a match for the Akula already :D
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    backstept wrote: »
    that's like Frirish . . . or Irench . . . :lol:

this ship looks like more than a match for the Akula already :D

I was thinking more along the lines of Spangeek.....And I dunno, the Akula is like the Fat Daddy McBride of the Coolverse! Could be a good fight though!
  • Lord ErisuLord Erisu0 Posts: 0Member
    'bout dam time Coolio. Smashin' work :D
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks damn sweet man..

Weren't you modelling some hot chick for Tovette? :p
  • MagnumHBMagnumHB0 Posts: 0Member
    This will be one to watch, for sure.
    Looks Awesome so far!! Keep it up and keep the updates coming.
  • jimi kanejimi kane0 Posts: 0Member
    Always a joy to see your work. :thumb:
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    You go Coolhead...i mean Steve! :D
  • AldrikGAldrikG0 Posts: 0Member
    WAY cool!!

Looking forward to watching this.
  • ViperViper1697 Posts: 717Administrator
    I'll be sure to follow this one ;) Seems like a promising start btw. Very neat design.
  • Shadowhawk2006Shadowhawk20060 Posts: 0Member
    Oh man! I'm gonna keep a close eye on this one!

AND keep begging you to do animations with you little toys! :D
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    This looks good . . . I am diggin' all the lines and edges and layers,
    I can imagine all the armor . . . I echo backstep in hoping to learn some goodies from this . . .
    gp
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    Thanks again guys,

Sorceress, oh no, not you again;) spangeek? seemed more like frogrish, or maybe something the Swedish Chef might say.:)

Spry, yes comrade, she needs some work and has not been forgotten. I'm sure tovette would be happy with her in her current state though.:p btw, I'll be starting on that extra curvy minibar for you next, something to take your mind off the SFM hostess trolley, it cannae taek nae moore! ;)

Anyway, i'm still in the mashing parts together phase but it's getting there. I decided i didn't like the straight sides and introduced a flair in the hull armour toward the midsection forming a kind of chunky wingroot. Along with this I'm also trying out some swingwings (the 70's is always in fashion in the Coolyverse...) more for stability than lift, they'd be stowed in spaceflight to reduce the ships sensor profile and deployed after or perhaps during the re-entry phase. Along with the underslung intake structures they give it a jet aircraft look, which i think is working pretty well so far, I hope you all like the changes, Cheers.
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    See... told ya it wasn't gonna look like it did :p

Good stuff, keep em coming ;)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Hmmmm.... Coolhand all these high end Allied ships come with the Mark 12 Fleet Expresso 100 right? Hahahaha couldnt resist man. Looks good. Akula Killer: Way To Go:D
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    (saves images to "Coolhand" folder)

Glad to see another cap ship WIP from you, Steve. I always learn a lot from observing your builds. Like, with the Krasnoi, I learned to be jealous...a lot!