Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBSG Vipers

• DarknessKnightDarknessKnight0 Posts: 0Member
    awesome work BJ, question, are ya doing some 2d of the raptor also?
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Talos wrote: »
    It's inspiring me to get back to work on learning shading, and now I have to learn weathering. Any tips on that?
    My "quick & dirty" method of weathering is (in GIMP) to make a new layer and fill it with a plasma cloud, desaturate the result, then put it above the hull color layer in the "soft light" mode, and lower the opacity to about 20%. This won't necessarily look like real weathering, but it will get you that real-world irregularity on the color. The only things I've done manually are the thruster burn marks, which I just "smudged" in. Now, bbzwbbzw has a technique for weathering that's a bit more work, but it gets some great results. I just wish I could find where he explained it! :(
    First try at a Mk VII CAG bird, partly based on some real ones.
    51272.jpg
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    B.J. wrote: »
    First try at a Mk VII CAG bird, partly based on some real ones.

That's slick. :cool:
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Wicked. Digging the scheme.
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    Great job B.J. I love the CAG markings. Just out of curiosity, are you planning to do the Mk VII in US Navy and USAF markings like you did with the Mk II? with the Mk VII's lines I think that it would look awsome.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, it's a great scheme. Nice work on that CAG bird. :thumb:

I'm working on using that method, it's an interesting idea and great for largely single-colored Navy schemes.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    That is some incredible work B.J.! Can't wait for ya to start pumping out the paint schemes. I PM'ed you the weathering example in case you are interested.
    I'm interested in it, bbzw. Can you send it my way too?
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Check your PM box!
    Got it! Thanks.
    Thanks guys! I did an Air Force scheme based on the F-22A.
    51336.jpg
    Now that is one sweet scheme. The "BG" tail code and 2008 serial number are well placed little touches. "Mod Viper" for sure. :D
    ^ Figures you'd catch that. :lol:
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work there.
    Thats the spirit B.J., I love the USAF markings on the Mk VII, you are very talented
    Thanks guys! Now before the Navy guys complain too loudly....
    51404.jpg
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    B.J. wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Now before the Navy guys complain too loudly....

Bitchin'

But, personally, I'd move both the national insignia back a bit (to directly below the cockpit) as well as the diagonal insignia while extending the 'anti-glare' black to 2/3 the length of the nose.

You can also do VFA-102 "Diamondbacks". I always did like their "full color" bird.

ClarenceWentzelVFA102.jpg
    Wow, awesome work on the Rogers, BJ. The 7xx-series modex is a great little touch too. With the roundels have you considered using the type where the white is replaced with the base color of the plane?
    ^ I thought of that, and I'm sure that's the case for the rest of the squadron, but I was basing it more on this CAG bird:
    Photos: Boeing F/A-18F Super Hornet Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net
    Great work B.J. the Mk VII just lends itself to the "JR" markings.
    No raptors BJ?:(
    househuntingtu1.jpg
    :help: :rolleyes:
    (DK laughs until his stomach hurts)
    You owe me a new monitor now! :lol:
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    *laughs himself senseless*

"someone get me a tank of good 'ol O2!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It's nice to you updating this thread, B.J.
    Great jumpin' Jehosephat on a rusty pogo stick! Okay, house hunting is a cake walk compared to the fiery hoops you have to jump through to get all the paperwork done. It's good that we finally found a house (yay!), but having to deal with the realtor, the seller's realtor, the loan company, the seller's loan company, and the government, as well as all their individual requirements and quirks on the paperwork and applications are driving me BATTY! It wouldn't be quite so bad, but the previous owner worked for and was relocated by the government, so that really put a wrench in the works.

I swear, it's like having a root canal done through the back way with a chainsaw. SIDEWAYS!!!

I'll get back to doing the Vipers eventually. Just as soon as I stop seeing things in triplicate.
    that my friend could be alongggggggg time if i know the US goverment well... Never the less godspeed.
  • blueboyblueboy0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you for the dreams. For me,I've always loved the FLYING TIGER stories. That color job is beautiful. blueboy.....