Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBSG Vipers

• XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    BJ, care to take a stab at these two?
    MK I:
    fightercobract0bi9.th.png

MK II:
    fightercobratype2xy7xq6.th.png
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    ^ That would be backstept's design. I've got his original renderings at home, and I've definitely thought about doing that design. But I'd have to ask backstept first!
  • backsteptbackstept2079 Posts: 927Member
    go for it :D
    I gotta say the white version looks totally rad :cool:
    I cant wait to see how it turns out.
  • rosko_racerrosko_racer0 Posts: 0Member
    B.J. wrote: »
    Thanks! BTW, I got an excellent reference from al3d showing all the markings. The others are:

CAUTION
    DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF CANNONS
    CANNON LOCKS TO BE
    INSERTED BEFORE ACCESSING
    ORDNANCE PANEL

AVIONICS
    SERVICE PANEL
    ALL POWER MAINS TO BE
    DISCONNECTED BEFORE ACCESSING PANEL

And that triangle symbol behind the cockpit has "EMERGENCY EJECTION POD" in the middle, with "DANGER" on each of the three sides.

Funny thing - "ORDNANCE" is misspelled as "ORDINANCE" on the actual model. A law is an ordinance, but a gun is a piece of ordnance. :lol:

:doh:

BJ: I was just watching BSG 2.5 Episode EPIPHANIES and between the times 18:12 and 18:14 there is a shot of a Viper that shows another marking. It is located at the right side of the ship (right side of the pilot when sitting), between the cannon warning marking and before the red and gold shield with the blue pegasus. It reads "COMMUNICATIONS SERVICE PANEL ALL POWER MAINS TO BE DISCONNECTED BEFORE ACCESSING THE PANEL". Then a couple of seconds later there is a far shot of another Viper and you can see that the marking is in the same place as the previous Viper.

Now the questions are:
    - Are the marking on both sides the same?
    - Is the AVIONICS panel on one side and the COMMUNICATIONS panel on the other?
    - Has anyone else found any other markings?
    48771.jpg
    Well, that's going to depend on what Viper model you're looking at! :D Not much of an answer, but perhaps I can clarify some...

That "communications" label (and not "avionics") seems to be on the right side of the dirty physical model as seen here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/tk421/bsg/damaged_viper.jpg (Warning! ~5Mb image!)
    But it's not on the left side of the clean physical model, but "avionics" is: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/tk421/bsg/park_penikett_lineproducer.jpg (Warning! ~5Mb image!)
    I don't know about the opposite sides of those models, though. Perhaps al3d, Aceman or Hobbes (who got to visit the set) can clarify? Or maybe some screencaps from the show?
    Now, the renders I have of the digital models have "avionics" on both sides, and don't have the "communications" marking. Of course, there's been several different versions that I can't keep track of, but that's what I've seen. I don't have any screencaps from the show itself to reference, but it would be interesting to confirm.

Of course, now that I think about it, it kinda makes sense to have different markings on each side. Makes it more realistic that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    What's your next Viper project, B.J.?
    hey this reminds me . . .
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachments/2d-wips/31040d1177385686-bsg-vipers-viper-mk7_05.png
    remember this paint job?
    I was re-watching season 3 and I saw a couple 7's with this paint job in the episode 'Torn'
    I hadn't noticed it before, so I thought it was cool

I don't remember which came first, the TV episode, or the model kit with the design . . .
    Interesting.... you sure it had red markings, and not blue ones like this:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachments/2d-wips/31039d1177385566-bsg-vipers-viper-mk7_04.png?
    Because the blue version came from the model kit, and the red version I did myself based on that! :lol:

In fact, you're the one that requested it! http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/1528-bsg-vipers-8.html#post187328
    yeah in the episode it was pretty dimly lit but I distinctly remember seeing a red paint job . . .
    gonna do a search for screencaps . . .

[edit] couldn't find any caps from that scene that showed what I saw, so I'll grab some screenies from my dvd when I get home from work
    so I did some caps and what do I see?
    BOTH paint jobs!
    so THAT'S what Red Team and Blue Team mean!
    haha
    49970.png49971.png49972.jpg49973.png49974.png
    Holy crap! :lol: Thanks, backstept!
  • DarknessKnightDarknessKnight0 Posts: 0Member
    So when are ya gonna tackle the Stealthstar B.J. now that ya on a role with the mkVII?:devil:
    im doing 3d school max level 1 so im gonna use if i may some of your 2d meshes for training if thats ok with ya B.J. but about the stealthstar i know some guys that could use some high def like yours for a mod they are making, "beyond the red line" ever heard of it?
    Oh, I know BtRL very well, thanks, but there's not near enough references of the Stealth Star for me to attempt that. As for using some of my drawings for reference/training, be my guest!
    B.J. wrote: »
    Oh, I know BtRL very well, thanks, but there's not near enough references of the Stealth Star for me to attempt that. As for using some of my drawings for reference/training, be my guest!

:lol:dont tell me ya involved in that project and that i made a complete fool of myself!!!:lol: Indeed theres very little about it i agree and you got the skills not me so if you say its a no go then ill shut up and enjoy the rest of your work.
    No, I'm not involved with BtRL, I just keep track of their progress.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Hate to be pushy B.J., but I was wondering if there will be any new releases soon?
    Oh, there will be. Been in a bit of a creative slump recently, plus the fact that I'm starting on the road to buying a house has put a small crimp in things.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Good luck with the house, that's always a stress-free experience (not). I look forward to see whatcha got cooking up.
    I've got a call out for references for the Mk VII's cockpit for the profile: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/general-requests/41661-viper-mkvii-cockpit-side-view.html
    If anyone can help, please do!
    thats ironic cuz the Brtl team have it i think to do their cockpits, a bunch load of the shows screenshots from their supporters.
    I think I have a few shots of the MK VII sitting here on memory card somewhere that might have the required cockpit details
    Then what are ya waiting for m8??? hehehe get it ASAP and pass it to BJ.
    already did, last night.
    sent it to the thread he linked to:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/general-requests/41661-viper-mkvii-cockpit-side-view.html

I dont know who did the cgi image up, and its the only one I could find.

I'm uploading it again, here, for convenience.
    51082.jpg
    hehehe i know who thats Btrl's model.
    It's been a long time coming, but I've got the updated Mk VII profile done! I ended up just making a guess at the cockpit details, but I think it works.
    51235.jpg51236.jpg51237.jpg51238.jpg
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, that's an awesome piece of work.

Good job! :thumb:
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    It was a long time coming. Nice job mate, she`s awesome. Specially like the 3rd incarnation. Nice job on the desert camo for the mk2 back there also...:thumb

The Super Cobra XRaider posted earlier is very cool too. Nice work guys...
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Nicely done, BJ! :thumb:

It's inspiring me to get back to work on learning shading, and now I have to learn weathering. Any tips on that?