Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAd astra per aspera

• JayruJayru1130 UKPosts: 697Member
    Beautiful level of detail on this baby. Loving it :-)
    wibblescifieric
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    Jayru wrote: »
    Beautiful work - lovely reimaging of the old girl!
    Jayru wrote: »
    Beautiful level of detail on this baby. Loving it :-)

Thank you, you're too kind.
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    This is awesome work. I'm loving all these different interpretations of the TOS Connie here. Keep it up!
    wibble
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    More Connies! More Connies!

Seriously it's looking good!
    wibblepubliusr
    Viper wrote: »
    This is awesome work. I'm loving all these different interpretations of the TOS Connie here. Keep it up!
    Thank you. Nothing compared to your work of course. And I also admire the recent increase of Constitutions around here.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    More Connies! More Connies!
    Seriously it's looking good!
    Thank you. Means a lot coming from you, since you have set the bar pretty high.

Not much to say about this one. I Just liked the angle.
    b0dft5oa38rz.png
    And I did add the panorama windows from the saucer to the neck, too. I figured they would provide an interesting view.
    wsns50b3oc1h.png
    tohgydccyi76.png
    Sure some will think the view is wasted if 50% of what you see is the saucer. But I guess some might even prefer a sight where you can actually see the ship flying through the stars. Also this way the eye has something to hold on for orientation instead of being confronted with the whole vastness of space. It evokes a feeling of being save inside, I hope. And for everyone else there are still plenty panorama views around the saucer.
    rojrenevil_genius_180publiusrLizzy777StarCruiserashleytingerVipercaveat_imperator
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    If you needed a real look at some damage on the lower saucer, then having windows that overlook the area would be helpful.
    wibble
    If you needed a real look at some damage on the lower saucer, then having windows that overlook the area would be helpful.

Well if you put it that way the view doesn't cover nearly enough of the saucer. Unless your adversary and/or stellar phenomena follow the rules of dramatic story telling and will damage your ship strictly in the line of sight.
    evil_genius_180
    wibble wrote: »

Well if you put it that way the view doesn't cover nearly enough of the saucer. Unless your adversary and/or stellar phenomena follow the rules of dramatic story telling and will damage your ship strictly in the line of sight.

True. I never said it was perfect, but it could be better than nothing.
    wibble
    edited August 2023 #70
    True. I never said it was perfect, but it could be better than nothing.
    Sure. If you are in need, you take what you get.

Meanwhile I'm playing with shapes for the impulse engines and its housing.
    atje35jhempq.png

Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingercaveat_imperatorpubliusr
  • backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    Fantastic details!
    wibble
    edited August 2023 #72
    Okay I did change the Font for the registry to something more official. It's still not the "correct" one if you consider that this is supposed to be the TOS Constitution but it's simply the better looking one.
    8rrifvwztd2k.png
    dww7z86arf6s.png
    I kept the size of the registry on the top of the saucer, though. To be honest I always considered the big lettering as oversized and somewhat ridiculous. I don't think that it is meant to be read anyway. Since ship to ship identification would be happen through transponders this is much more of an aesthetic feature.
    sdhc95leot3k.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperator
    edited August 2023 #73
    Ever since I found out how to use Blenders Textfield I can't stop making designation tags.
    For the nacelle I tried to fuse the TOS and TMP style.
    1qxkm3nj8ax7.png
    2qorevw2rj32.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperator
    Looks good. Heh, instead of using fields, I just convert my text into a mesh and then make it fit the hull. But, the fields make it easier to edit, so that's a good idea.
    wibbleashleytinger
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I've done both with mine. So many good options.
    wibbleevil_genius_180
    edited August 2023 #76
    Instead of using fields, I just convert my text into a mesh and then make it fit the hull. But, the fields make it easier to edit, so that's a good idea.

I think I do it the same way. Maybe I just used the wrong name for the tool.

Post edited by wibble on
    I'm still messing around with the bridge dome. Latest experiment: mixing materials.
    p7w0wslli5q4.png
    crcy20z1tg75.png
    The lower material is a translucent glass. Don't know why it appears completely opaque in the first image.
    trekkiStarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180caveat_imperator
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Nice work.
    wibble
  • seanrseanr1123 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    Please forgive me for this, but the nacelle pylons look rather, uh, spindly. I would widen them to double the current. Otherwise, some very interesting stuff going on here, and definitely not bad on the bridge. ;)
    wibble
    edited November 2023 #80
    Don't worry @seanr you said nothing I would have to forgive. It might not always seem like it but I actually appreciate critique. And I partially agree on the pylons. At times I think they are far too thin and spindly like you call it but than again I think the overall shape flows nicely with the rest of the ship. The mounting point at the nacelle is something that I would like to keep. It gives that T-shaped paint job from the original studio model some sort of purpose. But that's also what make them look like they will break at any moment. I also thought about giving those double pylons from Strange New Worlds a chance with one mounting point like it is and an other in the red rectangle behind it. First tests didn't convince me. But I haven't completely abandoned this Idea yet either.
    Post edited by wibble on
    publiusr
  • bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    Wow, you've got some really cool stuff going on here. The details are super clean.
    wibble
    edited November 2023 #82
    Thank you @bloknayrb
    Hmm, it seems I lost myself a bit in the Connie.
    Here is something else I started several years ago. Didn't got very far but some might already recognize what it is supposed to be. Not sure if I will ever finish it. But I still come back to it from time to time and thought I might as well show it here.
    weacgww5skeh.png

Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777
    Maybe you just need a little bit more context?
    ddouztbl5oyo.png
    fxyxihmxkaqz.png
    c9cmdoga6bjv.png
    ioktfybda4lv.png
    maht8jaxk33u.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777publiusrcaveat_imperator
    Nice! You don't see that many Deep Space Nine models. :)
    wibble
    Thanks. That's what I thought, too when I started this. Of course there have been a few builds since then. Reminding me of how slow I am.
    Like always getting the proportions right proved to be the major challenge. From discussions around other builds I learned that DS9 is the place where scaling goes to die and getting it right is almost impossible. So I told myself that I won't even try and be happy if it just looks like on screen.
    I started with the habitat ring - 'cause its the most beautiful part of the station, in my eyes - and was kind of surprised how easy it was to match it with the reference material (mostly screencaptures). The rest of the station turned out to be tricky, though. Especially the core always seemed to be either too big or too small compared to what I had already built.
    dg5iofa002ay.png
    uwveet7bklpw.png
    backsteptcaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180MadKoiFishLizzy777StarCruiser
    a2q4azu19wqs.png
    vgxe2b9ax8uv.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorpubliusr
    edited November 2023 #87
    Gallifreyien Promenade: too small on the outside and too big on the inside. At the moment it's still tolerable, though. I will keep it for now and see if I have to change it while I proceed.
    sr1dixy11rjq.png
    eh1ca0zxvvh9.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserStarship
  • Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner541 Posts: 126Member
    wow this is so cool
    wibble
    Thanks.
    A few this and that's. I am currently building up the courage to try the OPS tower.
    ja18b6hwpadq.png
    StarCruiserStarshipashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Starrigger
    That's looking fantastic so far.
    wibble
    Thanks a lot @evil_genius_180

An other example of a window
    oyxivkztrie3.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180rojrenLizzy777caveat_imperatorStarriggerMustang13Camaro68