Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAd astra per aspera

• wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    Oh and by the way, does anyone know if there is a camera setting that resembles the viewport settings? 'cause it happens a lot that, by accident, I find interesting perspectives in the viewport. Like this one:
    avf90suv0ho8.png
    And than find myself unable to reproduce them with a camera for a proper render. In this particular case I did use the Full-Frame camera with a Focal Length of 17.
    q5mj97h7vjfp.png
    While relatively close, the viewport render still looks better except of its poor render quality. And yes, that actually bugs me. Probably more than it should.
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorscifieric
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,327Member
    Look at adjusting the LENS of the camera. Depending on how it is set up it appears the lower image is at 22 to 34mm vs say 55mm for the viewport. If it is set up to mimic a 35mm camera (the film not lens) 55mm is close to human eye, while lower numbers will "fish eye" the view higher the number generally the flatten the "depth" or perspective warping. Using lens size is a way to give more or less feeling of scale in a render. Or to shoehorn specific details into a scene. Something to keep in mind is to match all of this in composite.

As for the software check to see if there is a create camera from view option.

I definitely recommend everyone take a photography "course", least to understand how a real old physical camera works. I mean by this is to read up on them online. I'm sure there is a equivalent to a 101 course on youtube etc.
    PreVizwibbleevil_genius_180scifieric
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Under the "View" menu in Blender, there's an "Align View" sub menu. Under that is the option to align the active camera to the view.
    wibblescifieric
    edited July 2023 #35
    I did add a bit more detail to the bridge dome and the bridge got new chairs. Its my first attempt. They don't look exactly right. But you can see the intention, can't you?
    pvcy4t58o99w.png
    And the conference table got an update, too.
    hdjl360tgcx3.png
    After that I was looking for more opportunity's to use the wood texture. And ... oh my ... stupid me was trying to create the carpet within Blender using noise textures when you can just download stuff like this. It's not like I haven't done that before. Who knows, sometimes I just need to feel the pain I guess.
    cyc51dk1ii0v.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruisercaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180Lizzy777scifieric
    I just can't leave the quarter alone.
    luev7y9kz72o.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerpubliusrcaveat_imperatorscifieric
    edited July 2023 #37
    ncrshtb60flj.png
    mfd5zn7lxclv.png
    zcq796njstf6.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    SCE2Auxashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorscifieric
    edited July 2023 #38
    Also piecing together a mess hall.
    r3i07iyhark8.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777caveat_imperatorscifiericpubliusr
    Your interior work is all looking great so far.
    wibblescifieric
    edited July 2023 #40
    Thank you @evil_genius_180. I want to go back to the exterior model soon. But I just can't sleep at night if I don't know what the ship is looking like from the inside. :) I moved the interior to it's own project file, though. So I can go as detailed as I want without having to fear that my computer can't handle the exterior model any more.
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I am loving these interiors.
    wibblescifieric
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Indeed, it's impressive that a lot of attention is being given to the insides as well as out. You could pull off one of shots that newer Star Trek series are so fond of, where the camera transitions from an internal to external pull-away.
    wibblescifieric
    I am loving these interiors.
    Thank you. I'm always happy if I can bring love to someone's life. :)
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    It's impressive that a lot of attention is being given to the insides as well as out.
    Thank you. Your Reliant wasn't bad on that regard as well.
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    You could pull off one of shots that newer Star Trek series are so fond of, where the camera transitions from an internal to external pull-away.
    I actually like these kind of shots. Don't know if I will ever get there but I am dreaming of recreating the opening sequence of "The Cage" for some while now. Where the camera is flying through the glass dome inside the bridge.

scifieric
    edited July 2023 #44
    Now I'm on the task of updating the existing windows before I cut in new ones.
    k9n1u5tejrdz.png
    ta750hy05pqp.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorscifieric
    edited July 2023 #45
    I'm working on a version with more detail inside the inner frame but this is pretty much what they all are supposed to look like on the exterior model.
    tlg9zywtiv5l.png
    It feels kinda wrong, though for a spaceship to have rocks reflecting in the window. How do you guys avoid that the HDRI is reflecting in the glass? Moving and rotating only helps minimal.

Edit:
    Okay, Nevermind. Found a rather simple solution. Although I assume this will only work for close-up's.
    309gd0pkr0s9.png
    vvl8di2591yz.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    scifiericStarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180caveat_imperator
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Love the window treatment.
    wibble
    edited July 2023 #47
    Thank you @publiusr. Once more that makes me happy.

Window treatment is tedious. Momentary distractions:
    rdgb30yiq9aw.png
    jdsqilfs5mzw.png
    bfy0xv00uvmi.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserscifiericevil_genius_180ashleytingerlennier1Lizzy777rojrencaveat_imperator
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    wibble wrote: »
    Window treatment is tedious. Momentary distractions:
    bfy0xv00uvmi.png

Oh wow, those shuttlebay OLS lights! I see the detail and I'm like, "Why haven't I thought of that?" I feel like I need to steal this idea and edit some of my models.

wibble
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    edited July 2023 #49
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Oh wow, those shuttlebay OLS lights! I see the detail and I'm like, "Why haven't I thought of that?" I feel like I need to steal this idea and edit some of my models.

Be my guest. Looking forward to see what you will do with this idea.

Funny thing ... I did never know nor could I imagine, what these lights are supposed to be good for. It's the first time that I have read the correct term for it. Now having read what OLS means they make so much more sense. But now I also know that a real OLS requires a few more light signals and I am thinking about how to include those.
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited July 2023 #50
    Now there are RCS Thrusters everywhere. Also did add an ambient occlusion node to the base material shader to make the grid lines visible.

gwuwrm5kn2un.png
    amb1f77cmmr6.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180SCE2AuxLizzy777caveat_imperatorscifieric
    wibble wrote: »
    Funny thing ... I did never know nor could I imagine, what these lights are supposed to be good for. It's the first time that I have read the correct term for it. Now having read what OLS means they make so much more sense. But now I also know that a real OLS requires a few more light signals and I am thinking about how to include those.

The lights are supposed to be to help manually guide a shuttle in. In the event of a landing, all of them won't be lit at once. If you're on course, only the middle lights are lit. If you veer to one side or the other, the appropriate light lights up to show you in what direction you're off course, so that you can correct in the opposite direction.
    wibblescifieric
    edited July 2023 #52
    The lights are supposed to be to help manually guide a shuttle in.
    Thank you, I got that now. I'm a bit embarrassed, though that I didn't thought of that myself. One reason might be that I always imagined that shuttles and other vehicles would be taken in by a tractor beam, in every case. What I thought now is that in the 3 dimensional void of space you can't only get off course to the left and right but also up and down. And it would make sense to also have signals indicating on the z axis if you are on course or not.

Another Thing I couldn't wait with.
    3g8rfkt54nj0.png
    ayaqc8hm84o9.png
    1mvvrwi8k3dd.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777ashleytingerJayrucaveat_imperatorscifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    As requested by an LLC
    “Did you get the tag of the ship that hit you?”
    No…couldn’t read the numbers;)
    scifieric
    edited July 2023 #54
    Just a minor update. Most of it isn't even my stuff. I made this shelf and downloaded a few assets to make the room look more inhabited.

3f96bjkwdw4f.png
    5dd6cm3pekv8.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserpubliusrJayruLizzy777caveat_imperatorscifieric
  • JayruJayru1130 UKPosts: 697Member
    Beautiful work - lovely reimaging of the old girl!
    wibblescifieric
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited July 2023 #56
    Guess it got time to think about greebles. I intent to stuff those three rings around the bottom half of the saucer with all sorts of sensors and service ports. First attempt.
    x2h6mcb6mz4l.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777publiusrcaveat_imperatorscifieric
    Nice. It makes sense to put sensor arrays there.
    wibblepubliusrscifieric
    edited August 2023 #58
    I did work on the nacelles a bit.
    x3pwn7qhug6t.png
    ses5io9e1hnq.png
    vvr6w5hjzrp2.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerrojrenStarCruiserLizzy777scifiericcaveat_imperator
    Very nice. I really like how you did those details where the pylon meets the nacelle. I'm looking forward to seeing how you continue to develop the inner details.
    wibblescifieric
    edited August 2023 #60
    Thanks. I had high ambitions for the inner details, when I started this years ago. But over time I realised that I'm really not good with the greeble stuff. So we will have to see what comes out of this.
    Post edited by wibble on
    scifieric
    And the impulse engines also leave a lot of space for inner details.
    6ai0lng477oq.png
    1x6a827x5hpa.png
    I will most likely close the gaping hole on the back again but they still will be mostly exposed to space. Thought it would save the cooling system. Of course you can't rely on space alone for cooling your engines. If radiation from a star hits your ship it can get fricking hot out there. So you still need a cooling system but it wouldn't have to run all the time.
    Jayruscifiericevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperator