Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAd astra per aspera

124»

• wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    edited November 2023 #92
    Rebuild almost all of it during the last days. Basically scaled it down by 30% and adjusted the silhouette. Hope the proportions will feel more correct now. Didn't touched the Pylons and the whole docking ring including the bridges to the inner core yet, though. Those are next.

ln08cje7o3my.png
    glrpd0zdw2ua.png
    534x4g6vwwbz.png
    xs2h3g25d6ed.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserPreVizStarriggerashleytingerLizzy777caveat_imperatorStarship
    Hangar Doors and Landing Pad:
    ig8l6pkx6608.png
    akfakcbclcp9.png
    pdlze0jj3f7m.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777
    A few examples of interior work. I don't want to get crazy about it ... yet. For now they just serve as scale references.

Promenade
    5iis9fonbcy2.png

Hangar
    7wxiel8a65n5.png

And an example of how it all fits in there. Red is the hangar, blue are meant to be corridors and green is supposed to be a quarter.
    2n980dqpq6vk.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserHelotLizzy777caveat_imperatortrekki
    edited December 2023 #95
    Back to the constitution for a moment.
    Cheap explanation for all the changes I made:
    n15fcx78egs3.png
    And a look at the impulse engine. This is where I left it last time. Maybe I will also proceed here. We will see.
    s9wga1jm1tqq.png
    zognqberg7k8.png
    ei9gsafbnp47.png
    tg5ahpo2pxnd.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180publiusrcaveat_imperatorashleytingerLizzy777trekki
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I love that impulse deck.
    wibble
    Thank you @publiusr
    Of course I didn't proceed with the impulse deck. Mainly because I don't really know how I want the machinery in there to look.
    Instead - in order to proof that I listen to critique - I tried my hand on new pylons. Obviously this is just a rough test that would need much refinement. But I am really not sure if I should follow this any further. I can't help myself but I feel like the old, slim version had more elegance. Any thoughts?
    kcrdsajdbmhy.png
    oc73qsc4xcp4.png
    7y1toywvgkkm.png
    2wta1yd2pmly.png

evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperator
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I like them both but I think they're too far up on the secondary hull but that's just my hang up with the design being further back for so many years.
    wibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    wibble wrote: »
    kcrdsajdbmhy.png

I'm partial to this one.
    wibble
    @evil_genius_180
    After seeing both versions side by side I think I'm also sold on the wider version.

@ashleytinger
    Thank you.
    The position on the secondary hull is inspired by the Refit Enterprise. Also the pylons should align with Engineering and Engineering should align with the antimatter tank and the tank position is fixed by the yellow circle on the underside.
    xfem9egz5won.png
    So beside miner tweaks I doubt I will change theirs alignment.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180trekkiLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Oh I get why they're there, just my brain not meshing with your mesh not your design choice lol
    wibble
    wibble wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180
    After seeing both versions side by side I think I'm also sold on the wider version.

For me, it comes down to not only aesthetics, but also structurally weak points that enemies can target in battle. Even the pylons on the TOS ship seem too thin in that regard.
    wibble
    @ashleytinger: :)
    @evil_genius_180: ya, you point out all that matters. I thought with those slim pylons I would stay closer to the TOS Design. 'cause after all redesigning this is still supposed to be the original Enterprise. But the structural argument was what convinced me to give in to the suggestions from @publiusr and @seanr. It took me a while to let go of my aesthetic concerns, but I think I get it now that this is the better choice.

I feel really dumb to ask this but I find the pylons oddly hard to build. It seems my brain can't compute there angled position. With you having build so many TOS Enterprises what is your workflow if it comes to this? Do you build them in there angled position or do you build them in orthographic view and then rotate them in there position? The latter one is what I tried to do so far, but they never match there position and seem oddly twisted afterwards. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.
    I build them in orthographic view and then rotate them. I think that makes it easier to line up the bits with each other.
    wibble
    I've really only dealt with straight up and down pylons so far. I need to actually finish my model of the Big E at some point. But yeah when I'm modeling something like that I'll get the basic shape down to what I want in top, front and side views and then move into my perspective view to line it all up where I want it. Easiest way to make sure your interior parts match up as well if you've got any that you want to see inside.
    wibble
    Jumping between projects a bit. While I was experimenting with materials for the Milan Maru I came up with some that I figured would serve the constitution as well.

New hull material and bussards.
    ktvd9jnkf8wn.png

Used the same hull material for the interior, too. On the ceiling you can see that it actually has a bump map and a more or less elaborated roughness map. And than there is the glass for the room divider of course. I wonder if that would look good on the nacelles as well.
    2vqpkzsv4ozi.png
    Lizzy777rojrenStarCruiserSeveruscaveat_imperatorpubliusr
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Great saucer rim.
    wibble
  • seanrseanr1123 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    Looks good - one nit, though: ship's name on the hull should be in all caps. Don't ever recall seeing lowercase hull markings on a Trek ship, TBH.
    wibblePreViz
    Just testing an idea for the nacelles.

kof9dpeivp9k.png
    z2yucxo05zgb.png
    Lizzy777StarCruiserrojrencaveat_imperator
    edited April 14 #110
    Like with the "Milan Maru" I'm mostly playing with materials here instead of actually modelling.

fwa311zzo4mj.png
    mut8ihnufbus.png

This is the current version of the bussard material. I also added those little intakes through where the bussard collectors are supposed to collect interstellar gas. Right now they are just light leaks of course. I still have to modify the nacelles there, too

5x91j9xbosqz.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserashleytingertrekkiLizzy777
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    ouch...man does that look good!
    wibble