Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Albacore, A ship based on the Ambassador Class

• SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    Othos please?

Here are some initial orthos, just quick and fairly low res at the moment, but I'll do better ones once I've textured the model.

GhpLQO8.jpg
    trekkiashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777McCcool65caveat_imperatorPreVizMustang13Camaro68Hunter Gand 3 others.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Nice, thank you.
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    edited July 2023 #124
    You have a very strange definition of “not textured”

(This is a very very sincere compliment)

Edit: that said, my vote is for a Connie Refit pearlescent job. I am not a fan of TNG flat grey and you don’t need to worry about blue screens with this.
    Post edited by johnl2112 on
    publiusr
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    You have a very strange definition of “not textured”

(This is a very very sincere compliment)

Thankyou!
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    Edit: that said, my vote is for a Connie Refit pearlescent job. I am not a fan of TNG flat grey and you don’t need to worry about blue screens with this.

Pearlescent shaders are definitely on the agenda. At the moment I'm experimenting with shaders/testing textures in order to find the look that I want, and whilst I haven't decided to definitely use pearlescence, it's currently a part of the shader setup I'm working on.

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Lovely.
    edited July 2023 #127
    I'm working on UVing the ship right now (not a quick task) and haven't got really anything to update, except for a cheesy idea for an engineering plaque - here's a mockup:

jRzv6c5.jpg

Edit, one of the reasons the UVing is taking so long is that I'm still messing about with the model: I wasn't happy that the back of the saucer under the cargo hanger was a blocky straight line going between the impulse engines, so I broke that area up a bit. I've also populated the cargo hangar with, well, cargo.
    kFDIVAb.jpg
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    StarCruiserwibbleevil_genius_180rojrentrekkiPreVizashleytingerscifiericraztovStarshipand 6 others.
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    I'm working on UVing the ship right now (not a quick task) and haven't got really anything to update, except for a cheesy idea for an engineering plaque - here's a mockup:

jRzv6c5.jpg

Edit, one of the reasons the UVing is taking so long is that I'm still messing about with the model: I wasn't happy that the back of the saucer under the cargo hanger was a blocky straight line going between the impulse engines, so I broke that area up a bit. I've also populated the cargo hangar with, well, cargo.
    kFDIVAb.jpg

Daaaaaamnnnn

This is some incredible work.
    publiusrtrekkiscifiericStarship
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    The engineering plaque is actually funny. And I always admire interior detail. It seems so much more alive with the populated cargo hangar.
    scifieric
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Brilliant! But then again I expect no less from you.
    scifieric
    wibble wrote: »
    The engineering plaque is actually funny.
    Yeah it appeals to my goofy side =)
    scifiericwibble
  • kedawerxkedawerx3 Posts: 3Member
    I've been watching this thread evolve. Not only is the modeling impressive, but the way you captured the Excelsior/Ambassador blend is spot on. This is fantastic work!

...I'll now return to building my doughnut.
    publiusrscifieric
    edited August 2023 #133
    Hello again! I'm starting the texturing process for the Albacore, starting with the nacelles:

rvaovlD.jpg
    PjOH2Ou.jpg
    lce5J5Q.jpg
    wibbleevil_genius_180scifiericStarCruiserLizzy777ashleytingercaveat_imperatorPreVizpubliusrsrspicerand 1 other.
    Oh so beautiful.
    scifieric
    I couldn't leave well enough alone, and just had to add a bit more contrast on some of the panels:

i8RaV7j.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerwibblecaveat_imperatortrekkisrspicer
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I love this whole idea, almost like if Starfleet ships were being built in the Stargate universe!

Also the texturing is fantastic, I love how it's like a more advanced version of modern shuttlecraft paneling. I'd love to see what the textures look like. Texturing makes me want to kill everyone in the room and then myself, so I admire your attention to detail with it 😂
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    They looked great before, but I definitely like the higher contrast panels. Also, the higher contrast seems to make your bump mapping pop more. It just adds even more sweet details to an already detail packed piece.
    edited August 2023 #138
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I'd love to see what the textures look like.

I've tried to be a bit more organised with my textures on this project, making some elements in Substance, and building things up methodically, creating the Height Map first and getting that looking right, before moving onto the Roughness Map and so on. I'm no texture artist though, so sooner or later it always devolves into just trying random stuff until it looks ok - at least that's generally my experience of texturing!

Here are the nacelle maps at this current stage:

Base:
    cyqWdoO.jpg

Height:
    0JBOrHt.jpg

Normal:
    ld9PWiF.jpg

Clearcoat:
    YxRC54L.jpg

Roughness:
    uterx6r.jpg
    caveat_imperatorStarCruiserHunter GLizzy777wibblepubliusrStarship
    Secondary hull texture update:
    aC5VdvZ.jpg
    PreVizashleytingerrojrenevil_genius_180wibbletrekkiMadKoiFishStarCruiserLizzy777Starshipand 4 others.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Very nice!
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 68Member
    That detailing is top notch
    Standing among giants
    I've been realy indecisive over what sort of shader to settle on - metallic or non-metallic. I'm splitting the difference with this image by putting both into a blend material:
    ErW8w6D.jpg
    evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserMadKoiFishLizzy777caveat_imperatorHunter GraztovsrspicerBrandenberg
    It's looking good. Honestly I like it. But none the less I would choose a non-metallic shader like on the nacelles you showed earlier. My personal preference aside I also think it would fit your realistic hard-scifi approach. It would just mean that the hull is painted and real spacecrafts are painted as well cause a white paint job is reflecting light and therefore serves as radiation protection.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Heck, I'd do all bare aluminum, but that's just me. :lol:
    edited August 2023 #145
    You know, that actually makes a lot of sense to me, wibble. I'm really indecisive in this issue: On the one hand, the metallic one looks good to me, it also has commonality with with the NX-01 and the SNW Enterprise (I really like both of those), and part of me just wants to go with 'the rule of cool.' On the other hand, non-metallic materials are more in-keeping with movie era/tng models, and it's has that thermal/radiation protection vibe as @wibble mentions.

I'm kicking this can down the road, and just create the textures for now. Will make a final decision once I've got most texture maps made.
    wibble
    Part of me just wants to go with 'the rule of cool.'

The thing is I considered the texture and shader on those nacelles really cool. But that's the personal preference I wanted to lay aside. I'm sure however you will decide in the end it will be great.

What about the following: The physical models have always sort of been all pearlescent/vaguely ceramic or all metallic due to the sort of nature of painting a physical thing.. what if the paneling is pearlescent/ceramic/flat/what have you, and specific items (structures, grills, greebles, etc) are specifically metal, but instead of "generic gunboat grey metal" go for "close to physically accurate" metals for certain things. Heat sink type things have a copper to them, structural be a darker steel... some things (maybe around the deflector where you have dark grey panels) have a sort of kapton tape/gold feel.
    wibble
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    edited August 2023 #148
    kFDIVAb.jpg

This render is badass. Love this angle and all the details.
    Post edited by Viper on
    MadKoiFishevil_genius_180Hunter Gpubliusrtrekki
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    That's awesome! I'm partial to a more matte finish myself, but the semi-metallic there does look really good on this ship.

What I love about how you're designing the paneling is how there's bigger panels made out of smaller panels, it make it look a lot bigger. Also I like that there isn't an over abundance of weird unnecessary panel shapes, very practical.
    publiusr
    Small update: Nacelle pylon height maps are pretty much there now.

KEjgeYo.jpg
    trekkirojrenStarCruiserwibbleevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorLizzy777srspicerMustang13Camaro68
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Those textures are looking really good.