Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Albacore, A ship based on the Ambassador Class

12346»

• wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    So beautiful, and I see you followed johnl2112's suggestion to use metal material for specific items. Good choice.
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    wibble wrote: »
    So beautiful, and I see you followed johnl2112's suggestion to use metal material for specific items. Good choice.

It still has a certain amount of metallicity that's not that obvious in the previous image (more obvious when the ship is more backlit,) but yeah it has been dialled back.
    wibble
    Taking a quick break from texturing to finally make a start on the saucer separation feature I've been flip-flopping on for ages. Ultimately it made no sense to go through the effort to model a clear separation line in the exterior hull, but not go to the bother of making the full separation plane:
    10jsZjh.jpg
    wibblerojrenStarCruiserMustang13Camaro68trekkievil_genius_180ashleytingerBillynom8raztovcaveat_imperatorand 3 others.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Fantastic work.
    edited September 2023 #156
    Got the two hulls good and separated now, gonna leave it here for this weekend.

One ship:

vsS7Oyk.jpg

Two ships:

FIhg337.jpg
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    rojrenStarCruiserevil_genius_180trekkiwibbleViperStarshipcool65seanrPreVizand 3 others.
    Secondary hull completed!
    BChknAZ.jpg
    skkbriA.jpg
    GXHbC2U.jpg
    rojrenStarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180trekkipubliusrBrandenbergcaveat_imperatorwibblePreViz
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like what you did for the separation mechanics. It has a heavy industrial look to it that really matches the rest of the ship.
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    I could say something cheesy and politically incorrect, like how great this lady looks topless, but no, that would be bad and wrong, and I just won't do it. I will say that the Venus De Milo pales by comparison - see, that's art, that's cultural. =)
    Beautiful work as usual. Really raising the bar here, with no double entendre intended.
    publiusr
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    What I love is how you've made this ship look almost starwars like in its deatil.... yet it remains 100% TNG era Trek.. Just goes to show that it is possible to modernise the aesthetic but still keep the style..

I'd love to see more classic ships done like this. :)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    This is one of those in a league all its own. Agree with @markmassey. When you try to detail the heck out of a classic Star Trek design it starts looking really bad. Somehow you are pulling it off. This one will be studied.
    This is one of those in a league all its own. Agree with @markmassey. When you try to detail the heck out of a classic Star Trek design it starts looking really bad. Somehow you are pulling it off. This one will be studied.

That's awfully kind of you to say, but I definitely think I've got a ways to go yet before matching the most accomplished artists seen on this forum, the discord, Art Station etc.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    There is a subjective element though. I've seen stuff (CGI) done for some of the various new series on paramount that I feel were/are misfires. That's ok. Different artists have different styles or aesthetics and I appreciate their work and their interpretation for what it is. I think there is room for all of it. I just personally like what you are doing better than many of them. One thing I hate to see done is, no matter what someone writes (for episodes) or no matter what direction they take a series, there are always critics who tear it apart and in at least one instance I can think of, a promising show lost favor and was cancelled. Everyone is so serious and critical of everything and of people's best efforts. I want to say, "hey America, lighten up." Stop tearing each other apart.

And yes, there are plenty of amazing artists on this forum and others. To be sure. I will still find myself studying what you're doing to understand why it works for me.
    I see where you're coming from, and I'm really glad that you're liking the way this project's going! :)
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    I definitely think I've got a ways to go yet before matching the most accomplished artists seen on this forum, the discord, Art Station etc.

Nah.... You're already there amongst the best.

As stated by those in the previous few posts, your work is uniquely successful in combining elements of hard-sci detail and the more fanciful design aesthetics of Star Trek ships.
    Making some headway on the underside saucer textures now. I'm trying to evoke something of the highly striated appearance of the original Ambassador saucer, especially in the normal mapping.
    qqmEt2o.jpg
    evil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserMadKoiFishLizzy777ashleytingercool65Mustang13Camaro68seanrcaveat_imperatorand 2 others.
    Gorgeous
    The Cargo Deck is a kitbash of parts from previous projects and isn't really intended to be viewed this close up, but there might be shots of the ship from directly aft, and I thought it would be a good idea to give the area some lighting, and some variation in the shaders between the different components:
    FxdPmbi.jpg

The upper saucer texture map is very nearly done. Just the superstructure textures left to go now and then I can start thinking of putting this ship into some scenes:
    RX5ySx8.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180MadKoiFishStarCruisertrekkiwibblePreVizrojrenLizzy777raztovand 3 others.
    Even if you don't intent to show it, the cargo bay totally holds up in a close shot. If it is supposed to have a forcefield to keep it pressurized in space a lowpoly crewman would be a nice addition too.
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    Don't take this as a demand (either on you, or your hardware...), but this ship deserves a ST:TMP style 12 minute fly around.
    wibble wrote: »
    Even if you don't intent to show it, the cargo bay totally holds up in a close shot. If it is supposed to have a forcefield to keep it pressurized in space a lowpoly crewman would be a nice addition too.

A sort of forcefield haze at the opening of the bay could be an interesting idea, not sure where is best to get low poly figures from though, maybe sketchfab has some free ones.
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    Don't take this as a demand (either on you, or your hardware...), but this ship deserves a ST:TMP style 12 minute fly around.

I've never animated a starship flyby before, so I'd be very happy with 12 seconds haha

The saucer has been annoying me over the past day and a half, so I've been making some changes to certain features. Not sure whether I'm happy with it in its current state yet, so I'm going to sleep on it.
    81Il1sU.jpg
    StarCruiserLizzy777wibbleashleytingercaveat_imperatorMustang13Camaro68
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love how you threw in some callbacks to the original Ambassador class model, such as the blue areas and the aggressive paneling.
    A sort of forcefield haze at the opening of the bay could be an interesting idea, not sure where is best to get low poly figures from though, maybe sketchfab has some free ones.

@xiaorobear did contribute some lowpoly crewman to this project. You could ask him. But than again he doesn't have commissions open in his profile, so don't know either.

Gonna call it a day on this ship build, I think. Here's the link to the finished gallery:
    https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/discussion/10001368/uss-albacore-finished-ship/p1?new=1

liUFVqA.jpg
    StarCruiserwibbleevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorMadKoiFishxiaorobearLoopholePreVizraztovLizzy777and 1 other.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    That is one sweet build...image .....you name it
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 159Member
    Fantastic build. Such great details.
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV