Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Random W.I.P. thread

123457»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804607 Posts: 11,186Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Ah man that was the coolest thing as a kid! :)

Me too. I was ten years old when it came out and I got to go see it in the theater. :) So, I guess I haven't always found it funny, but I have for a long time. ;)
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Haha, yea. its a great moment in the movie, even though you know only the camera's pov can see it :)

one last pic for the day, ended up doing normal scribing. a quick test to see if they're deep enough to even see on the black skin (barely, gonna go a lil deeper).
    turned on the armament too :devil:
    BW_3.2-005.jpg
    102235.jpg
    japetus wrote: »
    Ah man that was the coolest thing as a kid! :) I've always wondered how well an aircraft with wings like that would actually fly...not at all I imagine ;)

i cant find the thread anywhere at the moment, reverse image searches arent finding anything but more "look at this! posts"; but there's a guy who built one at 1/8 scale (i think) as a turbine powered R/C. and he said he was surprised at how stable it flew!
    By76379.jpe
    102236.jpe
    That's freaking cool. :)
    its amazing how much character a few panel lines can add!
    BW_3.2-007.jpg
    102258.jpg
    Yeah, panel lines add a lot. That looks freakin' fantastic. :D
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann697 Posts: 1,340Member
    I think part of the fun of the Batwing... especially that shot with the moon... is that it literally looked like a toy that we would have (even before the Batman movie, it's shape was basically a toy) flying the way we imagine our toys flying, and then when it's splashed against the moon, looking cooler than we could IMAGINE our toys flying could look. Although I don't think that was really something in Burton's head when he was making the movie.
    started to rough in the detailing on the Phoenix this morning
    PH-2.0_002.jpg
    102319.jpg
    I forgot to model the Gatling gun! :lol:
    cockpit instruments/controls, and rear landing gear is all thats left. i'm going to spend a week or two on the Phoenix though :devil:
    BW_3.2-009.jpg
    102346.jpg
    a bit of progress, got most of the nacelles modeled today
    PH-2.0_008.jpgPH-2.0_007.jpgPH-2.0_009.jpg
    102364.jpg102365.jpg102366.jpg
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great! love the detailing on the nacelles and engine.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great! love the detailing on the nacelles and engine.
    re-textured, i love how much the skin changes now under different light sources :cool:
    PH-2.1_001.jpgPH-2.1_002.jpg
    PH-2.1_0a1.jpg
    and finished the nacelles
    PH-2.1_0a3.jpg
    102373.jpg102374.jpg102372.jpg102376.jpg
    been making Tie Figher greebles today.
    TF_4.2_003.jpg
    102441.jpg
    It's looking really good so far. Though, you have some minor smoothing errors on the part I circled (both sides of the cockpit) It's nothing major, though, and shouldn't take long to fix. :)
    102453.jpg
    yea, i still have not really gotten into much detail on the arms yet. i seem to have lost the backup file with most of my tie saves in the move. (when upgrading computers) i had to re-create almost everything. all i had was 1/4 of a wing the front canopy, and the basic scribed ball...

on the upside though, i still had my notes and kit list on the greebles so i didnt have to find any references and could just get right into re-creating them :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    anystar wrote: »
    been making Tie Figher greebles today.
    TF_4.2_003.jpg
    nicely detailed, good greebles on the curved surface and nicely done with the cockpit "canopy".
    On Friday morning when I was all set to get started for the day, I decided to spend a few hours more on the Tie before getting back into the Phoenix. However, on Thursday afternoon just before I was done for the day I had a power outage only to discover that last month during a different storm/outage my son had "borrowed" my UPS to use his ps3... Not a big deal, I was only minorly annoyed. but cut back to Fri AM and before opening up MAX i grab my most recent .bak, and the last 3 autosaves. (untill yesterday i left the autosave count max at 3, today my settings are 1 per minute for an hour... lol)

well, i look in the project folder and the most recent hard save was at 3:11pm. the .bak was at the same time. the autosaves were 3:48, 3:51, and 4:02 (outage was at 4:05)

i thought all these timestamps were extremely odd btw. autosave settings were 3 files at 5m interval...

well, the hardsave was fine, i thought i had interval-saved past then because there were a LOT of changes since then. so i go into the autosaves. most recent (4:02) all the data is there, it just WONT LOAD. no errors or anything, and not corrupted...

so i dig into the 3:51. same deal. getting a little frustrated at this point.
    now i try the 3:48 file. just fine, except: all the data is exactly identical to my 3:11 hardsave.

at this point i shut down MAX and fire off an email to Autodesk CS, and start looking online for file recovery or auditing software while i wait for a response. the various forum hits i find in google arent promising, and ****-out-of-luck are what i expect for the files and my eventual response from Autodesk.

when i do get a response the rep notices i have a 2012 license too and asks if i can open the files in '12.
    i had forgotten just WHY i decided to uninstal '12 and go back to 10, but i figured its worth a try and i'd re-install.
    turns out every time i try, the installer just tells me its already installed and no option is available for a repair-install, or simple re-install is available. this starts to tick me off, and the only option the rep has is to completely uninstall all autodesk software, settings, and even registry entries.

i scoff at this and ask the guy if he's serious, i have cad 08, and 10 installed, each with extensive customizations, and i dont really want to go through all the hassle of customization/plugin/script backup re-install of both those and max10.

this is the point in my day (well past lunchtime at this point) that i'm really frustrated and seriously wondering if i need anger management classes...

well, its a day later now and ive gotten all the apps re-installed. i *think* max10 is set up the way i had it, i have only opened it once to see if those autosave files will load or merge ~ nope they still dont.

spent all AM today integrating all my scipts/plugins, hotkeys and UI configs into '12 figuring there's no reason now that its installed to not start using it.

THEN as i try to open the files in '12, nope still no luck. just have to re-do all the changes. i accept this fate as i'm more pissed about all the trouble so-far than i ever was about re-doing an hours worth of changes. i start in and instantly remember WHY i didnt use '12. i cant stand the "caddies" and i'm also more fond of the older style material editor and other UI changes... so i spend 3 MORE hours finding scripts and hacks to revert those.

aaaaaaaanyway, long story short: i'm rather disinclined to do any modeling any time soon. updates next week,

maybe...
    Damn, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear about that turn of bad luck.
    in the end, i'm trying to stay positive; i got to clean up some installs and consolidate a few folders, etc-etc.

the frustrating part is that i wasted a day and a half because i wanted to save and hours worth of time... LOL
    funny story, son wants a better computer and is going to inherit this almost new one and i get to re-build and re-install all over again next week. hahaha :)

tiny progress on the TIE, built the lower hatch and a few more greebles.
    TF_4.2_0a4.jpgTF_4.2_0a5.jpg
    just need to finish a couple more greebles and the top hatch, then i can move on to the arms and wings. there's sooooo many greebles on the wings, and the interceptor wings have even MORE... gonna be fun though!
    102591.jpg102592.jpg
    found my old homeworld game discs, extracted all the goodies and been playing around seeing how the first fleet compares to the second :)

fyi its a big pic.
    Fleets003.jpg

hmm, cant post em that big i guess, it shrunk it :(

edit: wow didnt ever pay attention to just how big some of these are...
    inserted the Enterprise and dry-dock to add scale.
    2.4.jpg
    103082.jpg103083.jpg
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Whoa, nice! I didn't realize the ships were that big either, except of course I knew the Mothership was huge. I love the Homeworld games...am still sad that they probably won't make a HW3. Are you gonna mess with teh models at all? Detail one out?
    it keeps growing! haha

after a little closer inspection i had to scale down the HW1 fleet a bit, and scale up the HW2 fleet even more!

2.6.jpg
    103085.jpg
    2.6.jpg 109.8K
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    Oh, YES! Those are lovely. I knew they were big, I didn’t know they were THAT big.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Anyone around here into KSP?
    been adapting some trek nacelles into engines:
    7ZY8O7Y.jpg
    the Excelsior and Voyager textures are thanks to Cpt. Kippard over at the kerbal forum.

a couple effect tests of them in-game:
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    God I haven't played that in a while.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.