Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Random W.I.P. thread

• Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    You know it was the smileys at the bottom that really made it look like you hated it. ;)
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    so for todays randomness that is leaking out of my brain.... :D

i figured i'd post a few pics of this after seeing the galactica-trek mashup over the weekend. this is where my "all the enterprises in one" has evolved to.

First, a little bit on how it got to this point. it went through several iterations of just stuff i liked and wanted to cram into one ship. Eventually it just felt, well, exactly like that, too much crammed together. after a few more months and a few more redesigns i just gave up and started looking for inspiration elsewhere and found myself looking at a Viper model and a few things just clicked and i restarted it with a viper inspired 3-nacelle integrated body design. a few more months and a few more versions and this is where it currently stands. but, this is where it is going to change yet again, i just cant come up with a design or shape i like for the hull where it exits the saucer section heading to the nacelles. ive tried everything from excelsior style to sovereign/voyager styling to terminate the lower hull, and every one of them either just looks plain wrong, or ends up looking like a motorcycle gas tank (see the last image). its also small compared to most modern Trek ships, only 18 decks.

i have already started a new version, but its far too primitive yet to show anything on, much of the details on the saucer are the same, but its going to be back to the 2 engine separate hulls concept though :(

you can see, there's hints of everything in there, from the original 1701, to Reliant, to Voyager, even hints of the NX. just in more of a function before form than how i originally started.

1.3_001.jpg1.3_002.jpg1.3_003.jpgcapture_04232013_125950.jpg

what do ya think?
    101250.jpg101251.jpg101252.jpg101253.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    not much detail yet,it could come out nice but i am not very keen.
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,982Member
    The concept has good points, as the saucer, the deflector and lateral naceles, but has strange things incorporated, as the third nacele (which is to much vertical and breaks the flow), the bugged eyes naceles and the long belly.
    The vertical pylon could be in angle of 30 - 45 degrees (do the same to the lateral pylons, and made them angled down too), the belly needs some work, but I suggest to rip off the bugged eye naceles.
    About the "motorcycle gas tank", I suggest to extend it til the end of the plateau.
    Just suggestions. ;)
    i agree with you 100% on the 3rd nacelle, its oging to be gone in the next version. i really only went for 3 to mirror the viper's 3 engine styling. those were really just concepts anyway, i didnt like them either. what i want from the nacelles is that blue mid section but much more transparent, and the glow coming from nx-style cross sections inside it. the rest of the nacelle; the bussards and even the overall shapes are still open for experimenting :)

i've only had 3-4 hours per week for modeling the last few months though, and dont see that changing till the end of summer unfortunately, but i'll post more on it when i can!
    Just take your time. ;)
    About the "motorcycle gas tank" and the nacelesA’ angle, you can take inspiration from this old kitbash:
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markusn/models/starships/uss_colorado/uss_sanjac1s.jpg ;)
    hmm, i thought i had replied to your last post Starship :( sorry its taken so long, but i was really trying to stay away from the D style engineering hull. not that i dont like it, its very elegant. but because ive never been able to replicate it in 3d very well.

since i was digging through the thread i figured i should add some new wip's to it :)

bw-1.0_006.jpgbmw-2.1_b12.jpgbt-2.1_a16.jpgph-1.3_001.jpgRazor wip.jpg

the B-Wing and Blue Thunder are both for paying clients, so they're monopolizing my modeling time lately, still no progress on the Ent mashup or the Phoenix (still waiting on the new pics before i do more on that one). the Batwing's nearly completed though, just need to finish off the cockpit, and gatling and rocket wells.
    i also finally picked up the GI Joe blueray and have lots and lots of highres stills of the Razor to work from now, thats one's a fun 'lil bugger :)
    101931.jpg101932.jpg101933.jpg100982.jpg101934.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804607 Posts: 11,186Member
    You've got all kinds of stuff going on. :) The Batwing is looking fantastic. I love the B-wing and the Phoenix as well. I'm not familiar with the blue helicopter and I'm not even sure what the other thing is. ;)
    anystar wrote: »
    hmm, i thought i had replied to your last post Starship :( sorry its taken so long, but i was really trying to stay away from the D style engineering hull. not that i dont like it, its very elegant. but because ive never been able to replicate it in 3d very well.

Not a problem. ;)
    About the hull, my point isnA’t about to replicate the Ent-D secondary hull. My suggestion is refered to the backside of your ship. I think it ends abruptally, so, this is cause I posted the San JacintoA’s photo. IA’m talking about the large bay and how that hull ends, things that can be adapted to your ship. ;)

About the other wips, all looks good, but the one I like the most is the batwing. :)
    the blue one is Blue Thunder from the 1983 movie, and the other is the Cobra Razor helicopter/hovercraft thing from the '09 GI Joe movie.
    i hav'nt seen this years GI Joe movie, dont know if its in that one or not.

7_1_L_00020008b.jpgsnap-2013-06-12-11h13m03s131.jpg
    101935.jpg101936.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Batwing, easily one of my fave designs from the Batman franchise, brings back happy memories of the model kit I had of the thing back in the day.
    anystar wrote: »
    the blue one is Blue Thunder from the 1983 movie, and the other is the Cobra Razor helicopter/hovercraft thing from the '09 GI Joe movie.
    i hav'nt seen this years GI Joe movie, dont know if its in that one or not.

7_1_L_00020008b.jpgsnap-2013-06-12-11h13m03s131.jpg

Oh, that thing from GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra. I have that film, but I haven't seen it for a while. I'm looking forward to that build. :) I've never seen Blue Thunder, never even heard of it.
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    I've never seen Blue Thunder, never even heard of it.

!!!

I may be looking through the haze of 30 years, but it's a good flick.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    yea, its amazing how much of it they actually got to film IN DOWNTOWN LA with those helicopters buzzing in between the buildings and such.

it spawned a very short lived tv series, i think only 3 episodes. but that was later re-tooled into the very successful Airwolf series.

i loved Airwolf too, all my life i've wanted a cabin on the lake up in the mountains like Hawk had!!!
    I remember of Blue Thunder, aired in the beggining of 80A’s here in Brazil.
    I was a young man beggining to hear and like of New Wave rithym and bands like Smiths, Dire Straits, Devo... Good times! :D
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    I loved the optimism of the 1980s. Each decade had its own vibe. . The 60's, 70's 80's--all felt different. It is like we are drifting now.

I would like to see some Searcher era ships for that thunderfighter.
    i went back to my old 2d files as i started adding in panel scribing and stuff on the Batwing today. since several of you commented on it i figured i'd upload the .dwg if anyone's interested:
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/4m6q6lntt839/n/bat_2013_2d_dwg

i was surprised to find the downloads section is still hidden, so i just put it on a freebie host.
    as i started detailing the batwing i found a lot of incorrect parts i needed to change, and some others i just wanted to streamline for aesthetic's sake.

2 days later and i ended up with a completely new mesh. :devil:
    still todo: finish off the back end, and get all the gadgets modeled.
    BW_3.1-001.jpgBW_3.1-002.jpgBW_3.1-003.jpg
    102139.jpg102140.jpg102141.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I love it...based on the old logo..
    A updated version would be interesting.
    there have been a lot of interesting Batwing designs since this one. i like the plan-view outline of the one from batman forever (i think it is) but when you see it from the front or sides it looks like a pontoon boat... :(

this kinda fits "updated", its some concept art from the version i'm doing. it looks a lot bigger to me, maybe even a 2-seater.

BatwingConcept.jpg
    102151.jpg
    I freakin' love the Batwing, dude. Great stuff. The one from Batman Forever is OK, but the one from the 1989 film is better. I like the Batboat and Batmobile from Batman Forever better than the Batwing.
    is it just me, or does it look really weird from the bottom?
    those bumps at the back that house the landing gear always seemed odd to me.
    BW_3.1-004.jpg
    102152.jpg
    finished revising the back end, and i flattened out the belly a bit, it just looks better to my eye.
    and i think that does it for the body itself. the cockpit is almost done too, just left are the guns and landing gear!
    BW_3.2-002.jpgBW_3.2-001.jpgBW_3.2-003.jpg
    102217.jpg102218.jpg102219.jpg
  • nukenuke171 Posts: 0Member
    The Batwing looks awesome
    Ty sir, its always nice to meet a newer member taking the time to post and say hi :)

i'm going to try an experiment with the texturing. Since its just black on black, i'm going skip scribing in the hull panels, and do it with a simple dual layer material. a simple black metal and a gloss coat. then just rotate the refaction angles for each adjoining plate like they did with the actual paint job and pearling. i've seen this tried here before on a few different Enterprise's aztecs, so i figured i'd give it a shot.

but... I want to be able to say i did everything to it I could. So my question is this:

To rivet.
    or Not to rivet.
    that is the question...:lol::D:p
    Awesome work on the Batwing. :thumb:
    just realized i havnt posted a profile of it yet. here's a fun little render :devil:
    BW_3.2-004.jpg
    102231.jpg
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Yeah! Love the batwing! Nice work on it, like the version on post #171.
    I've always found it funny in the movie where he flies up so that the Batwing is silhouetted by the full moon. It's pointless, but funny. :lol:
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    I've always found it funny in the movie where he flies up so that the Batwing is silhouetted by the full moon. It's pointless, but funny. :lol:

Ah man that was the coolest thing as a kid! :) I've always wondered how well an aircraft with wings like that would actually fly...not at all I imagine ;)