Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTMP Enterprise NCC-1701

12345679»

• EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    That turned out very well.......great job
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Thanks everyone.

Last night and today, Cinema 4D has been crashing a fair amount on me. I think it may have something to do with the number of polygons, but not sure. I am copying a section of the ship into a new project and looking at how it can be optimized. I have no problems in the smaller projects, which is good and makes me think it is the number of polygons which sits at 639,820. I wouldn't have thought that to be too big though.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    sorry for your frustrations!

ironically i had a lot of trouble with max the other day too!
    my trouble was with some autocad polylines i had imported as reference items though.
  • STRATOBLASTERSTRATOBLASTER0 Posts: 0Member
    Soo nice. Great Work. Attention to detail.
    Thanks folks.

To solve the crashing problem, I took small sections of the mesh into a new project and did the clean up and optimizing there, then bring in the new mesh to the original project. Did that for a few sections and haven't had any problems since.

Anyway, I am pretty much done with the Enterprise now and exported it to OBJ format. I then tried importing the OBJ into different programs. The results are below. Anim8or doesn't work with TIFF images, so a lot of the textures didn't work. I was doing this mainly to see how well the mesh would import. And from what I have seen, it appears to have worked okay. I am a C4D guy and don't know the other software packages very well, so I am sure a better render could be achieved by someone who does.

I am going to put together a zip or rar file (probably rar as it compresses better) and make the mesh in OBJ format available to whoever would like to use it.

Al
    102254.jpg102255.jpg102257.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    its a beauty :)
    congrats on a job well done.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Excellent work bro!
    Congrats on a job well done! :thumb:
    Looking at the basic max conversion you posted, looks like those geometry failures (saucer) can be corrected in a simple way, just playing with normal and smooth modifiers in max. IA’ll take a look and let you know. ;)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Great work, surprised at how nicely it went into Poser, that render looks really sweet. Though it does look like it has similar issues to the Max one along the rim of the primary hull.
    Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean about the distortion issues around the rim of the saucer. In C4D, I would adjust the phong angle which would smooth things out. I did go through the entire model making sure the phong angle was at the default of 80 and then adjusted the mesh so that it rendered right. There is just something a bit wonky with the rim that I wasn't able to fix when imported into other programs.

The model is now available for download in OBJ format over at Trek Meshes - www.trekmeshes.ch

Look for this image in the downloads section. I do hope to have this hosted here as well, but am having problems with the size of the files. I have uploaded larger files, so not sure why I am having problems now.
    102337.jpg
    icon.jpg 170.2K
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Tralfaz
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Starship wrote: »
    Excellent work bro!
    Congrats on a job well done! :thumb:
    Looking at the basic max conversion you posted, looks like those geometry failures (saucer) can be corrected in a simple way, just playing with normal and smooth modifiers in max. IA’ll take a look and let you know. ;)

After to give it a first try, max 9 imported the obj with a lot of flipped faces in naceles and saucer.
    In the second try, the mesh was imported in Deep Exploration and re-exported as a rh binary. This, time, the imported mesh in max 9 looks exactly like the one showed in the rendering you posted, and I found what is going wrong there. The windows at rim's front, have unwelded vertices, but they are so closelly superposed that it's impossible to see it without to look closelly that area. ;) Welded all of them with a single command, but it didn't work. So, pressed undo and started to weld them one by one. In a small area of test, it worked. Looks like it can be the solution, but it will take sometime to be concluded. ;)
    Anyway, looks like that is the unique area where the problem occurs. Still, a DAMMED fine mesh Al. Thanks for sharing :thumb:
    I will be out of my city (vacation is a blessing) until day 18. Later, I will tell you the news. ;)