Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTMP Enterprise NCC-1701

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Thanks for the kind words folks. You are right Brandenberg about it being a lot of work. Even though I have so much more ahead of me, I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Another quick update showing more work on the textures.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    This is looking absolutely gorgeous.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice job. I love the subtle paneling on the white, it looks true to the original. :)
    I've been working on more textures and am about 85% done now. Still have the shuttle bay doors and nacelles to do. I also worked on a user control that opens and closes the shuttle bay doors so they can be animated now. Guess I will have to come up with a shuttle bay interior now!

Al
    Great stuff. You're really knocking this thing out. :D
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Glad you had some faith in yourself and took a shot at the textures. Nice work! :thumb:
    Thanks very much guys. Today's update includes the textures on the nacelles.
    Quick update. Started working on a basic shuttle bay. I think the ribs are a bit too thick and deep and will play around with them tonight, but wanted to show what their was so far.

Al
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Look at Rytaru's. The Ribs are actually straight I believe. I hope you go all the way dude.
    I like the progress
    Thanks for the heads up Saquist. I just checked Rytaru's Enterprise and his ribs are curved as well. When you go further back into the cargo bay area, then the ribs become straight.
    Ah...that's what I was seeing.
    Looking good so far. You're really going all out with this build. :D
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    the ribs in the bay (painted wall color) match the outline of the hull. the ribs you see further in, and in the level above (dark red) are internal bracing and are straight.

everyone's right though, its looking amazing! :)

edit, sheesh. its been over a year since ive opened up my TMP files... somebody needs to invent me a time-slowing device! was gonna take some snap renders but found i already had some in my wip thread: here's what i meant about the ribs:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78192-My-Random-W-I-P-thread&p=542799&viewfull=1#post542799

and a little gif that makes it clearer
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78192-My-Random-W-I-P-thread&p=542610&viewfull=1#post542610
    That's a beautiful cage Anystar, but if you do it again at any point in the future I recommend dividing the secondary hull into defined sections that "solid steel interfacing bulkheads" that mate together the Deflector Housing, Cargo and Pylon Structure and Shuttle bay.

I always see the cage method but it's too difficult to seal off sections with just a steel cage. I think Havoc was trying to do this but I haven't seen his latest work on Trek BBS.

I hope you get back to this anystars..."Yours was Superior"
    ty, but lets not get into a who's is better than who's, we all are trying to create the same thing, and everyone see's things the other doesnt, or interprets it in a different way. somewhere in the middle is where we all hope to meet :)

besides IMO this is far superior to mine, because i'm an absolute noob at texturing and animation. mine will never look as good as the things you guys put up here.
    @Anystar,

True but I have a great admiration on that project.

Tralfaz

sections.jpg

This is a simple extrusion of what I mean by sections if you ever get into doing the complete internal layout of a ship. There are different ways to do this especially for the Constitution because it's a "small" ship. But for a super big ship like the Galaxy nothing less than this will do.

This would be typical section. It would be constituted of double plates on either side Bulkhead doors would go between them. (The plates made of very large members sizes and the Core or Keel (if applicable) running down between them. This core section would be used to anchor the Jefferies Tubes Turbo lift shaft, power lines and conduit and the Primary Corridor or Corridors running between sections. (of course there would be great number of cross members to further stiffen the structure)

The whole concept of a cage that is filled in is very wrong. Such a structure couldn't sustain damage without loosing a great deal of structural Integrity, nor could it be rigid enough for the mass it's supporting.

P.S normally that Core piece would go directly down the center but I pushed it up because Constitution has that huge cargo space and the PTS is above that
    you're right though, (the one at the front of the cargo bay isnt shown in that gif, and the one in the center ive cut off the top/bottom as well)
    easiest way to show it is on the matte/set composites:
    the aft breakpoint has the cutout for the big pressure doors. the one up front is broken up into the honeycomb where the cargo containers are stored.

Matte-1.jpgMinorCARGO-2.jpg

if you look closely at the view you have down the plasma conduit toward the nacelles in main engineering, you will see that the upper section of that aft wall is what makes up the back wall of that room, and the section that is honeycombed here is what makes up the wall at the opposite end of main engineering. there is a 3rd such strengthening wall at the point where the shuttlebay splits levels, making splitting the entire secondary hull into 4 main sections.

there's not really any evidence to support it, but my theory is there's actually a 5th section, at the front where the green texture ring starts, and is more than just structural support, but compartmental, and makes it so the entire front "cone" (i guess you can call it) can be removed in drydock for work or upgrades on both the dish and the power core.

heeeere it is, was i couldnt find it when i posted the first two photos. most cutaways dont really do the area justice, but Mr Jefferies had it planned this way all the way back to his concept sketches. they're clearly defined here:
    Constitution-II_045.jpg
    101938.jpg101939.jpg101943.jpg
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Personally, I don't mind if another piece of work is called superior to mine. I am glad that someone put the effort into comparing the two. And after looking at yours Anystar, I can see why it was said. Beautiful piece of detailed work with a very clean mesh. As for texturing, I am learning as I go on this model. Texturing is an art form that I sorely lack.

My shuttle bay is not going to be highly detailed at all. It is just so there is something there when the shuttle bay doors are open. I know it isn't very accurate, but am happy with that for what it is meant to be.
    So, I've been plugging away at the shuttle bay and getting everything to fit. A lot of artistic license was used here. Still have some more to do on it which should happen over the next week or so. I realized that I am not the fastest modeler! :D
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    you may not be the fastest modeler but you do beautiful work.
    It's OK. You're not the slowest modeler either. ;)

It's looking great so far.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    So, I've been plugging away at the shuttle bay and getting everything to fit. A lot of artistic license was used here. Still have some more to do on it which should happen over the next week or so. I realized that I am not the fastest modeler! :D

Dr Dre says "I like the way you work it. No diggity..."
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    anystar wrote: »
    heeeere it is, was i couldnt find it when i posted the first two photos. most cutaways dont really do the area justice, but Mr Jefferies had it planned this way all the way back to his concept sketches. they're clearly defined here:
    Constitution-II_045.jpg
    Also shows why you couldn't integrate a screen-accurate engineering room into the model. That corridor in front of the warp core would stick through the deflector dish and lead straight into space. ;)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member

It looks F A N T A S T I C !!!
    No need to be the fastest, cause itA’s a hooby after all. Take all the time that you need. ;)
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    I don't know why this is my favorite shuttle deck. But it is.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Wow! thats a breathtaking shot. i wanna step inside it and walk around!
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Also shows why you couldn't integrate a screen-accurate engineering room into the model. That corridor in front of the warp core would stick through the deflector dish and lead straight into space. ;)
    `

the plasma conduits are also missing from the shots inside he torpedo room.
    Hey, thanks for all the great comments folks. It is really appreciated.

I've completed the shuttle bay for what I will be needing it for. Didn't realize just how big this and the cargo bay really are until I put an actor in it for scale.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Didn't realize just how big this and the cargo bay really are until I put an actor in it for scale.

Take THAT Star Trek V!
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    That's looking really great so far. :D