Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DJJEnterprise based on Tobias Richter's work

• nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    This is looking really good. But poly count will increase again if you chamfer the edges. I can tell you chamfering the V cuts will be a pain.
  • x2egox2ego0 Posts: 0Member
    More pain? Thank goodness I'm a masochist :lol:
    Doesn't look like much work today, and it wasn't, but...
    I am trying different approaches to modeling these complex shapes while keeping the spline count manageable. Lot's of trial and error, and doing things twice or three times:o

It's kind of a pain in the you know where, when everything is self taught. Thank goodness for many of the wonderful tutorials on the web. Special thanks to Chris Tate for his excellent tuts.
    91079.jpg
    TR20.jpg 102.8K
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Looking good.

What's the poly count thus far?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, that's definitely looking good. I can see where this ship would be hard to keep lowish poly, it's all curves.
    Spline count right now is at 412,500. Once I'm done with modeling, I'll go through the mesh and thin it out. I bet I can get it down 20 to 25% or more without altering the shape too much.
    Wow, what a challenge! Every piece is giving me trouble. Getting the skin smooth while putting cuts or lines in the skin is giving me fits. Just making that top part of the nacelle is a process. I guess I'm just tired. Will post an update when I have something worthwhile to show.
    Finally some progress! I was having loads of trouble getting the vent taper to look smooth, but I persevered. Always learning in the process, so hopefully things will speed up a bit.
    91115.jpg
    TR21.jpg 175.1K
    It's good that you stuck with it, the result is definitely worth the work. It looks great. :D
    Thanks for the encouragement, I really need it. Don't know why, but this model has become somewhat of an obsession with me now. Once I get challenged, it's on...
    91122.jpg
    TR22.jpg 122.6K
    At least it's a healthy obsession. :)

You're really doing great work on this. Anybody who tackles this ship has my respect, it's a very complex design with all of the curves. Plus, you're learning software while building this, that's absolutely mind boggling, IMO.

I've thought once or twice of modeling this ship. And then I laughed and laughed and laughed.... :lol:
    Need some guidance please. I'm working on the nacelles and am getting the woozies just looking at the pic below. How many parts is this whole beautiful mess? I tried making the body of the nacelle and then extracting the fin out of it, but now I am re-thinking that and wondering if I should make the body and fins separate - easier to work on the fins - and then connect the fins later?

Tobias, if you are peeking in here now and then, could you give me an idea of how to re-create your lighting of the nacelles? I have no idea of lighting in Max and have yet to figure out how to make the nice light ring around the top of the nacelles casting light along the sides as in the pic below. Hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Eric

ps That dome looks a lot like the dome on top of the bridge.
    77447.jpg
    Yeah, I haven't figured out how those bussards are constructed. That's an awesome render from Tobias, though.
    Started the main body of the bussards over again. The lower portion and the middle portion are now one piece. The top piece hasn't changed. I'll model the fins separately and stitch them on later.
    91176.jpg
    TR23.jpg 443.6K
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Eric - great progress!

I placed an area light at each of the lightstrips - but you might get away with final gather and a very bright material as well. I just prefer real lights.
    Yeah, that's really looking great so far. :D
    :)

I know I should be working on modeling, and I am , but playing around with lights is a bit of a change up.

So many options on doing the lights - some experiments to follow soon.
    First test - the only lights in the scene are the lights around the bussards. For some reason they are going right through the model and illuminating the far bussard and also the saucer section. Haven't figured out how to stop that from happening yet. FYI, I am using Max 9 with Mental Ray and shadows turned on for the Omni lights.
    91198.jpg
    TR24.jpg 168.4K
    I don't know if this is the proper way to solve the problem, but enabling falloff and setting the distance to a lower number gave this result.
    91199.jpg
    Obviously not the right solution since I should be able to have a falloff as long as I want without the light going through an object. It's all right for now since that will be solved down the road. Back to modeling.
    Just for fun
    91202.jpg
    Yes, falloff is a necessary tool when you're doing this kind of lighting, though I don't know why the light is going through the object. You do have shadows enabled for those lights, right? I know nothing about Max, but I know I can do lighting effects like this in trueSpace by having the lights in there with a short falloff and shadows enabled. So that the light shows through the objects I want it to, (the supposed light emitters) I disable shadow casting on those objects. I'd imagine there are settings that will allow you to do this in Max.

I like the way that is looking so far, even if the lights aren't working the way you'd like them to. :)
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Yes, falloff is a necessary tool when you're doing this kind of lighting, though I don't know why the light is going through the object. You do have shadows enabled for those lights, right? I know nothing about Max, but I know I can do lighting effects like this in trueSpace by having the lights in there with a short falloff and shadows enabled. So that the light shows through the objects I want it to, (the supposed light emitters) I disable shadow casting on those objects. I'd imagine there are settings that will allow you to do this in Max.

I like the way that is looking so far, even if the lights aren't working the way you'd like them to. :)

The best thing I've found in Max, to get it to be applied to the objects you want, is by adding the rest of the objects to the exclude list for the light... except for the objects you want to be affected by the light, and the objects you want to have an affect on the light's shadows, that's how I got the lights on the side of the refit Connie's nacelles to illuminate the outside grilling, while nothing else, on the nacelle, even though the light object itself would clearly illuminate a good chunk of the nacelle.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Thanks for the input guys. Yes, I do have shadows enabled. Come to think of it, I was using another 3d app in which I also got some results with light lists. I'll play around with that a bit later. On to a bit more modeling.
    More bits...
    91233.jpg
    TR27.jpg 281.7K
    Nice work. Watching the movie and seeing Tobias' pics, I never realized that was a bunch of individual glowy bits, I just thought it was a single glowy thing with a grill over it.
    Not to worry, I've been working on the ole girl quite a bit, just not much to show since a lot of the work is refining what is already there.

Tobias, could you shoot me something that would help in deciphering the construction of the front of the bussards? I've been looking at that and ...then I go hide before the headache comes. What was your total poly count? I'm approaching 1 meg, but that's before cleanup.

Amazing how much detail there is on this ship, it's very deceiving.

Worked on the bridge shell - cutting the 10 window slats in the back was quite a pain. Also removed the two portholes in the side and re-worked the shape of the shell. Port holes will be re-cut a bit later since I'm still not happy with the overall shape of the bridge housing. Added more detail to the dome on the housing and will likely re-do the dome itself since it looks more complex than just a simple dome. On the back of the saucer, I cut the stripes going around and finished that off quite nicely IMHO. More to go....
    91312.jpg
    That's looking great. Those windows look like they'd be a PITA but they came out well. :)
    Worked on the wing support structures holding the Nacelles. After I started cutting in the relief work on the underside, I noticed how it really messed up the nice flow I had going. Turbo smooth isn't the end all smoother. Unless I am doing something very wrong, there is still a lot of work to be done arranging topology and pushing vertices around. It took me a couple of hours just to straighten the underside of the wing after adding all the support for the various cuts. That included the cuts for the vents in the trailing edge of the wings. As you can see in the pic, the upper or inside face of the wings hasn't been worked on yet, but I am tired and will sleep on it.

Cheers

Eric
    91351.jpg
    TR34.jpg 292.6K
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This is looking really good. I respect your ambition for attempting such a challenging model even though you're new to Max. Just remember that when you use Turbosmooth, it is extremely important to keep quads. This means you can't have any non four sided polygons. Since Turbosmooth subdivides every polygon by four, it doesn't work very well with n-gons (polygons with fewer or more than four sides). Triangles can be OK, but you should avoid them if possible. Hope this helps.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift