Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DJJEnterprise based on Tobias Richter's work

• x2egox2ego0 Posts: 0Member
    A large part of being human is the innate desire to achieve, it's part of our nature. Everything we do is geared toward achieving something, no matter how great or small. We are constantly being challenged by external forces, and when those have lost their driving force, we set goals and challenge ourselves. The day we decide we have had enough and decide we do not want to grow anymore, whether intellectually, emotionally, or physically, is the day we start to die.

The acquisition of wealth is one of the major driving forces behind our genetic compulsion to succeed and achieve. You could no more remove this motivation than you could remove the motivation to succeed or achieve. The removal or substitution of a monetary system does not, and should not remove the desire to accumulate wealth. Wealth comes in many forms, the least of which is dollars and cents.
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    What software are you using?
    3DS Max. I'm starting to think I have a problem - every time i want to cut the windows into the final mesh, I find another flaw or tweak I have to correct in the base. Must realize that after texturing some of the minor flaws will probably blend in. Got to let go, got to let go, let go, go.go,go....
    Ah yes..that E can be a bitch to make. Made one myself but never got around texturing her..:)
    100585.jpg100586.jpg
    Very nice work from the looks of it. Did you also use Max? Got a question for you. The trailing edges of the Nacelle struts, did you model that as one piece? I first modeled the general shape of the struts and then put additional splines in the areas that separated the trailing edge vents/trench. The problem I was having and still have to a small extent it that the extra splines in those areas was rather noticeable after applying turbo smooth. It took quite some time to manually tweak those areas, spacing the splines further apart to smooth them out. I would love to see a low poly wire frame of that area to see your approach.
    Also, your lighting on the top Nacelle cap is really looking great. How did you do that?
    the nacel is mainly a single subd peice....the lighting on the saucer is all made with spotlights with a sort of limiter so it gives only a small radius light....i,ll do some screen caps of the nacel if you want
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Al, your JJ Enterprise, especially the nacelles are the most accurate I've seen. Would you mind posting orthos if you get a chance? Also, I wouldn't mind looking at the original mesh wireframe of your secondary hull before smoothing.:)
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Al, your JJ Enterprise, especially the nacelles are the most accurate I've seen. Would you mind posting orthos if you get a chance? Also, I wouldn't mind looking at the original mesh wireframe of your secondary hull before smoothing.:)

Sure..i'll render some tomorrow morning and post them.
    ok..well..i had the scene set-up it seems already..LOL So hope i'm not stepping on the OP's thread by posting those.
    100606.jpg100607.jpg100608.jpg100609.jpg100610.jpg
    al3d wrote: »
    ok..well..i had the scene set-up it seems already..LOL So hope i'm not stepping on the OP's thread by posting those.

Thank you, Al. Those are very helpful. You must have had some excellent references to get this thing so accurate. :)
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Thank you, Al. Those are very helpful. You must have had some excellent references to get this thing so accurate. :)

let's say i know a few well placed folks..LOL
    Did a lot of tweaking to the hull and I'm starting to like it. Got a lot of the subtle waves out and refined the mesh. Getting close to being done with the hull and will start cutting windows soon. Now comes the really hard part, what color curtains?

T31.jpg
    100675.jpg
    T31.jpg 126.2K
    x2ego wrote: »
    Did a lot of tweaking to the hull and I'm starting to like it. Got a lot of the subtle waves out and refined the mesh. Getting close to being done with the hull and will start cutting windows soon. Now comes the really hard part, what color curtains?

T31.jpg

Pretty cool. Did you use Al's orthos to refine your hull shape or something?
    Tobias has given me permission to use his work for reference. That and a lot of Blue Ray screen grabs brings this model to life. I had the hull pretty much correct from the onset, just my mesh wasn't as smooth as I wanted it to be. After putting on a Turbo Smooth modifier (3DS Max) and a high specular material, I noticed some subtle waves in the mesh - this was due to manual manipulation of vertices. Getting that straightened out took me some time. More to the point, no, I didn't use Al's Orthos, although his model is quite nice.
    x2ego..i made 10 000 wide ortho renders if that can help you out.. just PM me with your email and i can mail them to you
    Very much appreciated Al. PM sent.
    I needed a little diversion, so I started working on a texture for the hull. Just my first attempt, so much work to follow.

T36.jpg
    100756.jpg
    I'm pretty good with textures/shaders if you need some help or advice.
    Thank you PM. Right now I am working on making a nice tileable hull texture, at least the base for one. I'd like to be able to make a texture that will have a bit of an iridescence to it, kind of like mother of pearl, just more subdued. Not sure how to do that, I just know basic texture stuff. I'm also clueless as to what the diff is between Max's specular level and specular intensity? Seems like they describe the same thing. Is a shader what I would need for the iridescence? Thanks for chiming in :thumb:
    Are you doing this in 3ds max? If so, are you trying to build the model for rendering in scanline, mental ray, or vray?
    Yes, Max. I'd like to get as "real" as possible. Scanline has been slow, so I stopped rendering in that. M-Ray and V-ray both seem to give nice renders, so right now it's a toss up for me. Your opinion is appreciated on which you prefer.
    Here's the skin I am working on. To make the spec map, I played with the levels, but I'm not feeling it.

T37.jpg

FYI, the is only one Omni spot and one skylight in the scene. Probably not the best setup to light the ship in space, but I'm just tossin darts here.

Tweaked some material settings, turned down the skylight, tweaked the spot and got this:

T38.jpg

Not sure what the new dark borders around the texture is, but that's not a big issue.

Edit: Actually it is a big issue - I had no idea that taking the material off the model and reapplying it could cause the UV map to get out of whack? Apparently that's what happened. Well, this was a test and I'm gonna have to re map the model after more tweaking anyway.
    100771.jpg100774.jpg
    T37.jpg 76.8K
    T38.jpg 216.8K
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I hate to say it, but it almost looks like the neck is made from bricks with that texture. :(

LOVE the model, tho!
    No, it's ok, feedback is a good thing. Thank you. It's my first serious go around with doing something this involved, both modeling and texturing. I'm learning as I go and really appreciate another set of eyes for interpretation. I actually thought the same thing and will work hard on getting it right. Tobias Richter gave a short tut on how he did his awesome texture and I'll have to go over it again to see where I can improve. It's all a puzzle waiting to be solved.
    Do you have a wide render of the model without texture? I'd be interested to see how the overall thing looks now. As to your textures/shaders, I do have quite a bit of experience with getting a photoreal look, and I will go into more depth in another post when I have more time.
    Tell me what you want to see, perspective, ortho? What do you consider wide? I'm reworking the bottom of the hull, the part where the bottom photon canon sits. The topology wasn't what I considered to be good enough, so I'm reworking it.

Just looked at the latest trailer for Star Trek II and saw some details I hadn't noticed about the 1701 before. Is it my imagination or do the nacelle fins look angled a little bit more to the horizontal in this shot? Also note the extra lighting around the mid point of the lower saucer section - I mean a whole new ring of lights.

TrekII.jpg

Geez, I always hate it when they are so leisurely destroying the Enterprise.
    100804.jpg
    Some details

Blow-up.jpg
    100805.jpg
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Here's a much clearer image of that shot:

904054_503621686364769_1172368484_o.jpg

I don't see any new lights on the Enterprise, the light spots on the upper rings of the underside of the saucer is the light being emitted from the spot lights on the underside of the saucer...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Don't I feel silly now :argh: The very defined starting line around the perimeter made me think there might be some extra parking lights :runs: