Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCalling all Stargate Fans!

• elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    al3d wrote: »
    hehe...no way man. one man operation all the way. when i do a model, it's mine from A to Z. what you're talking about is when a show starts for the pilote for exemple.

thats very rare though, ie industrial light and magic, have what i talk about, so does lucas studio, etc...

not saying it cant be done, cause i know it can be from experience of my own, but to tell me stargate or startrek or battlestar galatica, etc, are all one man operations, is completely untrue...

you always have assistants, and usually a cg artist, a visual effects artist, etc etc...just look at the atlantis team, during the behind the scenes, there were five modelers i believe working on the shows cg...
  • HobbesHobbes5 Posts: 0Member
    Wish I had something to say that would be useful besides that I can vouch for everything that Alain said.

Though I've never really gotten work like this before, I would think that it's one of the nice things about the way he has worked with the vfx industry...the accomplishment of creating models from start to finish.
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    thats very rare though, ie industrial light and magic, have what i talk about, so does lucas studio, etc...

not saying it cant be done, cause i know it can be from experience of my own, but to tell me stargate or startrek or battlestar galatica, etc, are all one man operations, is completely untrue...

you always have assistants, and usually a cg artist, a visual effects artist, etc etc...just look at the atlantis team, during the behind the scenes, there were five modelers i believe working on the shows cg...

well..i've been doing this for a while, and for many different FX houses for many differents shows, and when I'm given a model, i model, paint and rig it from A to Z. and everyone else i kknow does the same. no WAY any FX house will assigned 3 or 4 guys to build a model. if an artist can't pull a model by himself, he will get his ass fired VERY quickly.
    al3d wrote: »
    well..i've been doing this for a while, and for many different FX houses for many differents shows, and when I'm given a model, i model, paint and rig it from A to Z. and everyone else i kknow does the same. no WAY any FX house will assigned 3 or 4 guys to build a model. if an artist can't pull a model by himself, he will get his ass fired VERY quickly.

i can see paint and rigg, but sound animation scene lighting etc, its not a one man job...but i understand what your saying, but i also know that the same person didnt create the city of atlantis, puddle jumper wraith hive ship dart etc...one person didnt do the whole set...multiple people did...

even states in the behind the scenes of atlantis, and they show the in house fx team of about 5+ people in this little run down place that you would have no idea a fx team even existed in there, and they show one person modeling one person setting up the scene, another texturing etc...

one person might model one model from a to z, but one person does not model the entire set...
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    At my office the artists model everything from a-z and then UV and paint it. If they require animation they are sent to an animator who rigs the object and creates animation sets for it. I'm in the games industry and I've never worked in movies so maybe it's different in the film industry but I wouldn't imagine it to be.
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    *peeks over the trench used to hide*

*Puts on hard hat and runs out into 'no mans land'*

Update for the Gatejumper
    GateJumper.jpg
    GateJumpertwo.jpg

Re-did some of the textures, Gave the cockpit window a tint that hide the lack of detail inside(:lol:), Added glows to both the lights on the front and the engines on the back and added a couple of miniguns as weapons for the little ship

*Ducks and runs back to safety before the fan gets hit again*
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    At my office the artists model everything from a-z and then UV and paint it. If they require animation they are sent to an animator who rigs the object and creates animation sets for it. I'm in the games industry and I've never worked in movies so maybe it's different in the film industry but I wouldn't imagine it to be.

I'm prepared to be flame for this. Dont care tbph:

I will remind everyone that while what alain is saying is for the most part true in smaller VFX houses; places like ILM, Pixar, and even Zoic have been well known for having one or more persons work on a model (depending on scale of project) and almost always more than one person working on mapping and lighting/animation and rigging.

Take for example the Mustafar (sp?) scenes in Episode 3. You had one or more persons working on model (or so says the dvds I think) then you had someone go in and light it, then another person did the animation (particles) and camera moves, another person did matte paintings, another person did overlay composites for eruptions, and ANOTHER person that did post production color correction and whatnot.

For smaller things such as Galactica (not to call it a small show), or most star trek shows; you typically do have 1 person doing modeling and texturing of a scene but often from what I've noticed you have a different person to rendering and animation. However that's not always how it goes. Sometimes a person does go from a (modeling) to z (animation and rendering) but rarely.
  • I was going to stay out of this pissing match of banter of who's right and who isn't.

Now every company could do things differently.

Thats my 2 cents
    no pissing match here, was just letting the original question asker know that its not always a one man show, and even in tv land, ie stargate, especially atlantis, there is not one guy to do it all...

and even when they do it all themselves say a to z, they have time to rebuild and redo, ie how atlantis in season 1 went from 2 million + polys, down to 1mill+ polys, yet they even got more detail out of it...

so even though there might be a deadline, for a paticular ship, on a show like stargate (since i mostly watch that or used to not much time), even after the episode deadline, they go back redo retexture etc etc, the models for future episodes, redoing torpedos gun fire fx etc...so on a tv show like stargate or even startrek, there is not just one deadline, for one show yes, but they have episode after episode to tweak their stuff...

even the ent-d, in next gen, had like 3 studio models, and like 3 cgi models, all from 2ft-8ft for physical and cgi had a far away textured one, or low poly when doing a scene like in deepspace nine in the cardasian battle, or a uber poly version that is used for up close and personal shuttle landing renders (and even those are not full models sometimes, but its encouraged so that one model can be reused over and over)

but all that aside, liking the puddle jumper there, especially the soft engine lights..
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Women are different from men....and I like the differences!
    Now let's get a peek at some new improved ships. Ships with guns and ships without. Ships with bizarre paint schemes some with more traditional ones.
    How about shutting the pie holes and just creating? For creation's sake. For entertainment.
    Being that I have nothing new to show shipwise I'll shut up now.

PS: Too much debate.Not enough create.

• liking the puddle jumper there, especially the soft engine lights..

yea that is cool engine lights not a fan of the design though
    Hey Al love that killer satellite! Can you say what it is from?
    but all that aside, liking the puddle jumper there, especially the soft engine lights..

Thanks:D I've ignored this ship for a bit, but i thought a update of something would divert attention away from the 'Battle of the Sizes':lol:
    wild-wing wrote: »

what is it you don't like?
  • its boxy.
  • tadztadz175 Posts: 0Member
    gee that argument started with the size of the daedalus and has gone for about 6 pages as far as i can see... seriously can we stop the arguments or take it elsewhere. :)
  • scorpiusscorpius332 Posts: 0Member
    I still find it ironic tadz is among those trying to stop the arguments lol.
    wild-wing wrote: »

Obviously raised to be a straight shooter lol.

I like the design and nice progress with it Rob...I really should get back to some modelling soon
    mikala wrote: »
    Hey Al love that killer satellite! Can you say what it is from?

Greg, was for a Disney commercial for Mystery Mountain 2 i think it's called
  • as far as I know, the more up to date models for stargate are also all one man projects. the ori motherships and fighter, wraith hive and cruiser, the orion class... all made by one man.
    btw. al belongs to the elite of modellers and freelancers, so don't compare yourself with him. if it takes you longer to make your mesh, that's still ok. you're not getting paid for it, you're doing this for fun and as far as I know, al doesn't rush freetime models either.

btw. this is, what I'm working on since last night. 2 hours of work so far. a wraith command bridge.
  • ViperViper1697 Posts: 717Administrator
    Ok, I think the thread has gone off-topic enough here. Let's please focus on the artwork being done and helping the artists.
    You mean like this? :lol:

GateJumperone.jpg
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Cool. Is that one big enough for a hyperdrive?
    Bar.
    No it's the Tau'ris version of a PJ.

Maybe i should put a basic Gate into their and have it shadowed by the Star?

*Strokes beard in thoguhtful maner*
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    No it's the Tau'ris version of a PJ.

Maybe i should put a basic Gate into their and have it shadowed by the Star?

*Strokes beard in thoughtful manner*

Sounds good.
    Keep the pics a-comin!
    Bar.
    that would be kewl, the gate in space version, with your puddle jumper kinda viewed from the back side area, so we can see more of it, and the blue hugh reflecting more light onto the ship...hmmm now you have me thinking of a scene of a couple of my carrier fighters (dubbed f-323) chasing a dart into a stargate in space...
  • tadztadz175 Posts: 0Member
    scorpius wrote: »
    I still find it ironic tadz is among those trying to stop the arguments lol.

hehe things change aye? lol, nicw work dr lee im likeing it :)
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    totally forgot this threat existed :p Sorry for double post but here - I offer this so far... just a varient to the 302.

fa322yk7.jpg
    Now an exceptionally skinny pilot flies those!
    ah..another new model to never be finished..;)
    Hey Al why don't you throw a quick Stargate mesh out? I'd like to see your take on one.
  • al3d wrote: »
    ah..another new model to never be finished..;)

Im not even going to stump to your level of rudness.

the wip is good so far.

and al3d why dont you get your hands dirty for once since your all big on talk.
This discussion has been closed.