Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Nice start on the pad.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2016 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Huh. I always assumed that they added the detail for filming Star Trek VI. Guess they added that WAY beforehand.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    @ashleytinger tbh you'd be completely forgiven for thinking so - supposedly STVI only started production in late April of '91 (at least, according to the interwebs), and was released in December of the same year. It seems inconceivable given the effects required and technology of the day that this could all be done in the space of less than 8 months!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2016 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Starscream wrote: »
    @ashleytinger tbh you'd be completely forgiven for thinking so - supposedly STVI only started production in late April of '91 (at least, according to the interwebs), and was released in December of the same year. It seems inconceivable given the effects required and technology of the day that this could all be done in the space of less than 8 months!

Well they did have to wait until TNG was done filming to use their sets. And even then they only had mild redresses for most of them. As long as you plan it out in advance and all that fun stuff, I could see them getting that together filming wise pretty quick. No new models to build for ILM either. I can see it.
    That they had to wait for said sets is fairly obvious :lol: (good thing they did, too - I couldn't stomach another straight re-use as they did in TFF!) I have a vague recollection of STVI being rushed, because Paramount were "caught by surprise" by the inevitable 25th Anniversary (wow, shocker!), hence the need to wait for end S4, rather than S3. It'll be why so many sets were clearly redresses too; there just wouldn't have been the time to redress them more fully (assuming Paramount's penny pinching would have even allowed for it). All in all the production team did a fantastic job with what they had.

Regardless of pre-planning (which I suspect Nicholas Meyer's franchise experience had a hand in), there's only so much you could do back then to alleviate time constraints when it came to the post-production side. I was honestly impressed to find they managed it all in such a short space of time; much as I am with Horner's TSFS soundtrack. :thumb:
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    They did a better job of disguising the Enterprise-D corridors for TUC than they did in TFF. That much is certain.

I do wish they disguised the transporter room set more (at least they could have changed those TNG back panels with the honeycomb TMP ones).
    Exactly!

As for the honeycombs, tbh I never really liked them. I do however love what Donny Versiga did with his TUC Transporter; swapping out the yellow coloring with a much more appropriate (IMO) blue. :)
    I am taking one design cue from Donny's TUC transporter for the Galaxy's personal transporters 1, 3, and 5: the ceiling.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I love what Donny's version, though ironically I'd consider the blue more appropriate for the Ent-D, and the red more in line with the Ent-A coloring.

I've finished the main platform (don't worry, I'll show it from up close once the lighting's in place for that area) and have started to iterate on the main room.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1547589273
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Not bad! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Very nice. I always loved the minty-green color of the transporter room, lol... reminded me of the Brittain bridge.
    TBH I'm a bit surprised you're not going for a similar turquoise color as the other sets! :)
    Starscream wrote: »
    TBH I'm a bit surprised you're not going for a similar turquoise color as the other sets! :)

Well the original TNG transporter room clashed with the interior tones of the other sets.
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    Well the original TNG transporter room clashed with the interior tones of the other sets.

Not Voyager's. ;)
    Yeah, the green is really weird and unique for the Ent-D, ironically it would work better with the blue carpets of the Galaxy than with the beige from the Enterprise.

More work on the pad area, mostly on the ceiling and walls. Lighting levels will have to be tweaked later once more of the room is modeled and properly lit.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg?1547608384
    Last update of the day. The pad itself is now almost done, only missing some white tape around it.

Things are very red yellowy now because most lights are either behind the yellowish back graphic or above the transporter emitters. As said previously, lights will be tweaked later. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg?1547628726
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Yeah, the green is really weird and unique for the Ent-D, ironically it would work better with the blue carpets of the Galaxy than with the beige from the Enterprise.

Maybe you should be coloring it in browns and tans :D
    Beautiful.
    I assure you that this transporter has only malfunctioned ONCE on the Galaxy - and that was a legit one. In "Fool's Paradise," the Galaxy attempts to rescue survivors off a doomed ship that is near the charged atmosphere of a gas giant. A powerful electrostatic discharge strikes the Galaxy and damaged the transporter room in use during beam-up, causing the people caught in the beam to malform a la TMP. And that will be the ONLY transporter malfunction you will EVER see in the Galaxy Chronicles.
    So you trust your (infinitely more complex and dangerous) transporter implicitly, but not the ship's layered fire suppression systems... Riiiiight. :p
    Starscream - I never said I didn't trust the fire suppression systems (though after seeing a good deal of Trek, why should you?), it's that you need something to fall back upon if those things FAIL. Which they can! :D
    The fact that you had to have fire extinguishers is incontrovertible evidence that you don't trust the systems, dude. It's like saying "Yeah of course I trust my seatbelts, crumple zone and airbags to protect me - but here, lemme just wrap myself in a crash suit, bubblewrap and football pads before I start driving! :shiner:"

If you're going to use onscreen exceptions to declare the safety functions of the ship to be below a standard that any H&S authority would willingly certify, then Transporters -which have been shown ad nauseum to be finnicky, glitchy (and thus far more deadly)- should be given the same level of caution.
    Well, I consider it like having to wear seatbelts, even with airbags!
    I've been working on the normal maps needed to get the acoustic panels used all over the room to look good. Still not 100% there, but they're getting there.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-06.jpg?1547759616
    I read this on a text commentary for "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" that the back pattern for the transporter chamber was derived from one of Herman Zimmerman's sweaters.
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Once you do the Transporter Room, I certainly anticipate seeing an updated Galaxy Class Transporter Room without the odd grotty green colour, random foam padded patterns on the wall etc.

sonex-one.jpg
    national-institute-standards-technology-02.jpg
    sonex-one-haven.jpg

https://acousticalsolutions.com/product/sonex-one-acoustic-foam/
    112900.jpg
    112901.jpg
    112902.jpg
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    I read this on a text commentary for "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" that the back pattern for the transporter chamber was derived from one of Herman Zimmerman's sweaters.

:lol:

@Rekkert I'm only looking at it over the phone, but those pad reflections look photo real :thumb:
    @Rusty0918: lol! I need to know more about that sweater now! :lol:

@mdta: As this is based on the late TNG transporter room, there's already no acoustic foam on the walls outside of the bits I've already modeled. ;)

@Starscream: I'm glad they do!

I've further tweaked the acoustic material, making the pattern smaller so that it repeats the same number of times it does on the original set. I've also started work on the main room.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-07.jpg?1547840267
    I have to say, that longer console fits a lot better there than the shorter one that was used on TNG! ;)
    @Rusty0918: It does fit in a bit nicer with the wall and columns behind it, yes. :)

I've been working on the support columns for the side walls. They're far from perfect right now, as they're thinner than they should be, plus the corners bevels are a bit too big, but nothing that can't be fixed.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-08.jpg?1548147483