Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Yeah, that should work, Rekkert.

I also had the same feeling about the briefing room, it is quite reminiscent of ""The Cage""/""Where No Man Has Gone Before"" briefing room.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    That briefing room is absolutely gorgeous!
  • RekkertRekkert4039 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    Thanks! Yeah, I was inspired by those pillars and the circular cross section of the original TOS briefing room, it remains quite unique in Trek. :)

Here are some finished renders of the room. I've added the details I mentioned yesterday, plus some more lighting at ground level.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1549605655
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1549605657
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-potemkin-briefing-room-cutaway.jpg?1549605659
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I love this. Though perhaps something near the doors to give the room a little more balance. No more pillars, but something... another set of plants?
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Rekkert, your work has inspired me to try to get back into CG modelling myself, well done. These sets are amazingly presented and very accurate. Good job.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    I love it. And I love how you've incorporated the Zodiac's viewscreen, lol. ;)
    Also food for thought, you could make deck 2 a disaster area in case of crisis. It's reinforced and designed for survivable situations such as a major hull breach. Those pillars would be perfect to support that requirement :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    @BlueNeumann: Thanks! I thought about it and I did have a decorative element borrowed from Two Three Fore in there for a while, but in the end I preferred to leave the space a bit more open; after all most briefing rooms on Trek have a lot of empty space so that actors can pace around the room while talking.

@Nadesico: I'm humbled that my work inspired that reaction from you, thank you very much for the kind words.

I do like the idea of a "disaster area" in case of emergency, however because of the shape of Excelsior's hull, deck 2 is directly next to the outer hull. A deck on the middle of the saucer, or even better in the ship's secondary hull would be a better fit I believe. :)

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! Hehe, I was gonna do a new, very simple screen, until I remembered that I already had the perfect screen modeled. :) The curvature is perfect for the room, and I didn't plan that! :lol:

I've been working on the floor texture for the little platform at the side of the room, plus I've tweaked the vertical lights next to the pad, so that they have more depth and a light gradient. Plus, I've added some more labels. :p

tadeo-d-oria-c1-15.jpg?1549691575
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @Nadesico: I do like the idea of a "disaster area" in case of emergency, however because of the shape of Excelsior's hull, deck 2 is directly next to the outer hull. A deck on the middle of the saucer, or even better in the ship's secondary hull would be a better fit I believe. :)

10-forward on the E-D was considered a disaster area and it was directly exposed to space :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Good idea on those Excelsior lighting panels - they help to remind that it is an Excelsior (or at the very least, a design from that era originally!), and this will sound quite random but I heartily approve of your plant placements :D The sculptures are perfect, too. I'd be very curious to see what this briefing room might have looked like on the original Excelsior!

The Transporter Room certainly fits with the rest of the ship now. :thumb: My only "gripe" is with TNG itself, in that they used those cheap plastic grids on the lighting panels (don't even get me started about Babylon 5's overuse of them...). The TUC version looked a lot cleaner IMO. Have you thought about any similar options, what with trying to evoke a "Nick Meyer" feel for the sets?
    Nadesico wrote: »
    10-forward on the E-D was considered a disaster area and it was directly exposed to space :)

Well, it was designated an "emergency triage area", according to the TNG Technical Manual, which just means it was a place where emergency ad-hoc medical facilities could be set up in the event of an extreme medical overflow. We actually saw Ten-Forward used in this way a couple times during TNG's first season, IIRC.
    Speaking of Ten Forward, @Rusty0918 did you ever consider what the Galaxy's equivalent might look like (or maybe something like the Nebula 2-3-Fore)?
    Yes I have actually. The lounge is called "Bonchune's" on the Galaxy. My main idea is that there was a Dr. Bonchune who had a big role in designing the Galaxy/Nebula/etc. family of starships and had a starship named for her (the Nebula-class ship).

While not initially in this configuration, the tables and seats that aren't part of the bar are arranged in "booth" configurations, like what you'd see in diners/fast food joints/etc.
    Neat!
    As with the transporter room light panels, I did consider TUC style, or perhaps optical circuitry on both sides.

I even considered a 2360 version which would have blue transporter rear panels a la Jenolan and those blue neon dividers that we saw in the TFF transporter room to differentiate it.
    Took the weekend to work on another side project, this time the Potemkin main sickbay (or Intensive Care Unit). Once again it's mostly a reuse of existing assets.

I originally wanted to base the room a bit more on the Enterprise-B sickbay we saw for 2 seconds in Generations, but that room was rectangle shaped, so it ended up being way too boring IMO.

I kept the 4 biobeds from the Enterprise-D rather than going with the bigger ward from the TMP era as this is a TNG era excelsior after all. I imagine there's a bigger ward on the same deck as well. Speaking of decks, this is set on deck 6, as that's where all medical facilities are listed on the Excelsior turbolift okudagram created for on TUC.

The darken glass panel for the main bed was directly lifted from season 1 TNG, while the overall white lighting is a callback to the more muted light colors that were used on the TMP/TWoK sickbay. Originally I wasn't gonna reuse the padding behind the biobeds, but I noticed that on TUC they used them with pretty much exactly the same color as I was using for the Potemkin padding, so I couldn't not use them. :lol:

And yes, once I finish the Galaxy transporter room, I'll probably be making a transporter room for the Potemkin. :p

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1550009364
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1550008619
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1550008623
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-potemkin-sickbay-cutaway.jpg?1550009480
    Starscream
    I think that nurse's station is precariously placed too close to the examination table, in my opinion. Otherwise, it looks good!
    @Rusty0918: Thanks! It's not supposed to be a nurse station though, just a console to operate and display info about the main biobed, similar to what Voyager and Prometheus both had instead of a big screen on that area. :)
    That sickbay looks great.
    I always loved that glass shield for the main biobed when it turned up in season 1. It made perfect sense that the person in the main diagnostic bed of the ICU would have a bit of privacy compared to other patients. I guess they removed it because of filming issues, but it doesn't stop you using it :) Looks great!

Are you going to try to make the biomedical lab attachment to your sickbay that the E-D had?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Ooooo, I LOVE it!
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    That sickbay is simple, but stunning, perfect for an Excelsior Class starship. I like the extra padding behind the main bed, it's like a precursor to what we see behind the main bed on Voyager.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I really like it! And you could use that partition as a curved display screen to monitor the procedure! The console is already facing it and the patient. And that curve... I can see it creating a 3D effect so you have a 3-D representation of whatever you're looking at, which would be quite helpful. I'm remembering the 3d hologram that appeared above River Tam in the hospital episode of Firefly.
    Starscream
    That's quite a good idea, BlueNeumann.
    I'm happy you all liked the sickbay! :) The idea of a holo display there is quite cool, and it would work quite well with the "early TNG" vibe I'm trying to give to the Potemkin (while keeping the more detailed elements from late TNG because otherwise things would look too barren and half-assed).

@count23: I'm not gonna do that lab soon, but I am thinking about how the whole "medical deck" on the Excelsior would look like. ;)

@JMP11: Indeed, the padding on the main biobed is supposed to be a visual precursor to the Voyager style lights. :)

More work on the Galaxy transporter room, I've checked and confirmed all the wall dimensions, and did the little weapons locker that was added to the room in late season 7.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-16.jpg?1550103562
    Looking good. I never noticed the weapons lockers, lol.
    Yep, you need to have a means to equip yourself.
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! That locker room was added very late in season 7, and I don't believe it's actually seen on the show. It is however, featured in a set tour that's available as an extra on the TNG season 7 BluRay set; and on the Interactive Technical Manual, where you can open it up and see the phaser rifles inside.

The isolinear bank on the side of the room is now done.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-17.jpg?1550130716
    Starscream
    The lighting grill (unfortunately) looks spot-on :lol:

Equipment locker is a good idea, though personally I'd always thought that corridor would lead to a separate gearing up area entirely... Also surprised @Rusty0918 that you haven't asked for one of your ubiquitous phaser lockers behind the transporter console. ;)
    Hmm... Seems we can't edit posts, leastways not on the mobile view.

Wanted to add that I love the way the Potemkin's conference lounge table support evokes the Excelsior neck ribbing, @Rekkert. :)