Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Here is a grill comparison. Now that I look at it, perhaps I went a tad overboard with how closely I spaced my grill pieces.

Maybe just a tad. ;) You could probably delete half of those if you wanted a closer match to the model. Though in the full ship render the grills seem to render out fine and give a nice sense of scale. The Vor'cha is a huge ship after all.
    Brandenberg
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the grill. It seems like a solid piece until you get right on top of it.
    Brandenberg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited August 2019 #394
    Here it is with every other grill piece removed. It didn't change that much but probably looks better. Taking out every other one worked out because there were an uneven number in every leading edge opening. I was able to leave the end one's in each opening, and didn’t have to move or resize anything.

nod4g1w5b4af.png
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishChiefBrex
    edited August 2019 #395
    Thanks to all of you. Question: What do Level I, Level II, Level III badges signify? I can't seem to find anything about them.
    With every other thing removed, it looks more like a grill from that angle, as opposed to just a solid gold piece.

As for the badges, I don't know. That's one for the boss man.
    You have just about every badge there is. B)

So what do you think. Better with every other removed or better with the more solid look?
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I like the every other. It's more visually interesting to me.
    Thanks, that's helpful. Any other opinions on it? Otherwise I think from a distance it looks about the same and up close it is more interesting too. AND of course, closer to the model.
    edited August 2019 #400
    I thought the back would be quick and easy. That would be WRONG. :# There are still some details needed on this but here is a progress shot.

6mogbnjjgxq8.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishChiefBrex
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Oh man I can't wait to see this bad boy textured and weathered. I love the added detail you gave to the grills too; it's better for scale.
    Brandenberg
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Thank-you. Me too. I use Affinity Photo and can't wait to start the surface.
    This render shows that I haven't done a great deal on the bottom yet. But that's next.

gk154c9gtbr8.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishChiefBrex
    The back is looking really nice. :)
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2019 #405
    shaved_ape wrote: »
    I like most everything about this model, except for the ventral tankage connection, which seems a bit small. Structurally, it would make more sense to have some support struts around the perimeter to keep it in place. Just my opinion, mind you, but otherwise, this is a beautiful model!

This morning I got motivated to fix what you pointed out. :)

1r5c4984nkvk.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Looks nice, and more solidly connected.
    I appreciate the comments EG. Thanks.

I'm making steady progress on the bottom of the Vor'Cha

slr33jpufl8u.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The station is looking good and I like what you have done with the Vor'Cha
    edited September 2019 #409
    Thank you sir!

I've been pouring over the pictures of the real model and am noticing something I hadn't before. Am I the last to notice that the windows on this ship may be some kind of protruding port hole? Or am I seeing it wrong?

igs1p3zedc2v.png

Here's a shot of one on the model.

8ow2x2eefclk.png
    ChiefBrex
    Ok, taking it further just to see what it would look like.

upbfp71sj908.png
    Lizzy777ChiefBrex
    Actual renders.

rzbqgjfxmjdx.png

edxocggvg9ds.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180ChiefBrex
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    I'm looking at the Christies auction images at http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/vorchaneghvar1.htm. It looks like the windows are recessed in, and the bubbles are the lights built into the model.

oe9d4r3rzfqm.jpg

Because of this, it looks like the portholes clearly stick out a little at different angles. However, I'm not seeing the rectangles you've placed with those bubble windows. Where I DO see them is on the neck of the hull below the Battle Bridge. As well as the bridge itself.

The Bridge windows also have some little greebles connected to those portholes.

qsl1kzi404nb.jpg

In this screencap, it looks like the windows bubble out as well. Though I'm not sure if that's the physical lights on the model, or due to post work for filming.

e86fkv12ceze.jpg

I see it as a great opportunity to go with your design idea and maybe flesh it out a bit with some more detailing.
    evil_genius_180Brandenberg
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,327Member
    edited September 2019 #413
    I vaugely remember reading somewhere this was only gonna get reflective paint on the windows and was later set up with fiber. Or some sort of change in plans on the model. She was built up on a wood base with layers of styrine and then cast molded. I think idea was the do the resin fiber like the D and just neon light it and scratch the paint of for mask the windows. This model is clearly bloomed fiberoptic ends for the windows.

They either melted the ends and strung them through holes or glued em in with a long length hanging out and just snipped them off either process produces knobby windows. Look at some of the romulan warbird images it really shows this.

To me ignoring memory it looks like the model was planned ot have rectangular windows and it was either changed or abandoned due to time or costs.
    In the end it is up to interpretation.

Heck in the one photo you can see the right of way markers just have paint blobed on them and the screen cap those same lights are recolored in post.

examples of models with fiber being installed.
    mc80h_img_3197.jpg
    48522642a5bcccde540d286e5860ca0c.jpg
    romulan filming miniature
    http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kg_warbird_studio_model-003.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Those underside details are looking good. I agree with MKF, the windows definitely look like they have bubbles, and some have greebles.
    edited September 2019 #415
    Wow, great answers from all. More helpful than I expected.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    To me ignoring memory it looks like the model was planned to have rectangular windows and it was either changed or abandoned due to time or costs.
    In the end it is up to interpretation.

Do you think the little rectangle that some of the protruding fiber optic ends protrude from was the intended window size / shape?

@MadKoiFish That Romulan Warbird looks like it needs a shave.
    Lizzy777
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Hello everybody,
    that is a very nice object.
    Does anyone know where the photon torpedoes are in the front area? I have Blueprints, but you can not see that exactly.
    Greetings
    I have a blueprint that points to one of the small red dots in that squarish protruding front piece between the arms of the nose section. It calls it a "Disruptor Tube"
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Does anyone have a tissue....or a fresh pair of undies on hand? @Brandenberg's Vor'Cha caused me to make a mess....

All joking aside - this is an absolutely stellar model! The details you're putting into it is amazing. That grill on the wings is PERFECT with every other one being taken out. And I love the extra greebles you added to the bubble windows. Keep up with it. I would have interpreted the windows to look like that just as you did.

It's clear you have a passion for this!!!!!
    Brandenberg
    edited September 2019 #419
    Gosh, thanks Chief. That's super nice of you. Where do we ship the underwear? :s

On the windows. What @MadKoiFish said was true. They must have used fiber optics and snipped them off. About a third of the windows appear to be bubbled out (top photo below - from the front of the bridge), a third are at the lower border of the extruded box (the next two photos, one from the aft triangular area on the main hull and one from the back of the bridge) and a third are just snipped off flush with the surface. You can see this on the side of the model.

fckeun9vux6n.png
    zdd18z2izjmo.png
    ox1vlkxrxkbz.png

I suspect that they intended some square windows but only had time to drill fiber optic windows. While at it they added more windows than just the places where there was a little rectangular piece of plastic and snipped them off. The bubble is probably paint collected around protruding fibers.
    So the question is, do I try to mimic the model, do I draw what they would have liked to build if they had the time, or do I just do ideal windows? Obviously the problem was that it wasn't a very big model.

I somewhat like how the bubbled windows with the rectangular greeble came out. If I keep them subtle I may try that first pass just to see. If it is too cluttered looking, I may just do standard recessed round windows.
    edited September 2019 #420
    Additional quick thought.

The bubbled window approach lends itself to just a white glow for a window.
    The recessed round windows allow me to create rooms behind with Groovy Klingon Lava Lamps.
    Personally, I'd recess them so that they look more like windows and you can do rooms. The model was built quick and wasn't meant to be seen really well, so I'm sure they did quick and dirty windows for it. You have a chance to do something better than what they did.