Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Thanks Gentlemen. Below, I did enlarge the pipes some (had already done it by the time you posted Comco). I will also employ the color change as you suggested. I added surface feature after surface feature and made up this image, only to realize that I left some out. Oh well. They'll be in future renders. I still have things to do on the bottom anyway.

716rcazwq23h.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerChiefBrex
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking really fantastic.
    edited August 2019 #364
    :3 ...and it's full of reasonably fed Klingons...
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I love what you've been doing with this, but I always thought that was a battle pod or a mission pod and the bridge was in the tower just behind it. They were supposed to be able to swap out the mission pods for various things if I remember right, but the last time I really looked into this model was the mid-90s.
    I was just wondering about that the other day. You’re right, it could be that the tower behind is the bridge. I should look more closely at the schematics.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    edited August 2019 #367
    I had a plastic kit version of this model in the 90s and it was designed so that that forward section could detach and be an independent vessel. IIRC there were even impulse engine details back there. The main bridge was in the tower behind it.
    Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    I just looked at a schematic online. There is a forward bridge in the detachable section you are referring to and additionally they refer to the bridge in the tower behind it as the "Tactical Bridge." It being a 1701 D era ship (said to be painted bluer because of the Klingon cooperation with the Federation), it has two bridges like the 1701 D.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Interesting.
    Yeah, personally love the duel bridge layout. Thanks for pointing it out.
    So below is work on the bottom although I realized I forgot to round the edges of the large deflector add-on portion (the main element of the bottom).

yv3k9umxime0.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ChiefBrex
    The bottom piece is now rounded and I built a hex pattern for the deflector.

0rhgbstkxnol.png
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited August 2019 #372
    Nice modeling, the detailing's looking great!
    Seeing the front bit of the Vor'cha separated reminds me of the Millennium Falcon somewhat. :p
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Brandenberg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Those details are looking fantastic.
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2019 #374
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Nice modeling, the detailing's looking great!
    Seeing the front bit of the Vor'cha separated reminds me of the Millennium Falcon somewhat. :p

Thanks, I am trying to get to Disneyland soon and see the new Star Wars area they built. I wonder how long it will be before they buy Star Trek too.
    Those details are looking fantastic.

Appreciate it eg.

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited August 2019 #376
    <<snip>>
    um how is this here instead of in my thread????

Sorry dunno how that happened.

the panels in time will drive you nuts!
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Working on the tactical bridge. It turns out the extra images I got from MKF's post clued me into the riser this thing sits on. There are no pictures that show its entire shape, save one. It was a big help to have the one. I apologize - these aren't great renders. I'll probably replace them later.

sjcxuubwm0f1.png
    us19y7jy2wo8.png

This may be a better angle
    uuzpzxb43xk9.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777MadKoiFishChiefBrex
    That's looking great. I always like the way Klingon ships are done with panels on top of panels, due to the layers of paint they added to the Phase II D7 to try and make it look good on the big screen. They kept that look in successive ships, and it's really cool.
    Brandenberg
    Still haven't done the bottom or the rear and still have plating on top that needs to be added. But here's an update.

mj1yallt3plf.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryChiefBrex
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice object. Did you build that?
    Brandenberg
    So far. :)
    She's looking great. :)
    Brandenberg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    edited August 2019 #384
    Are you holding off to do a chamfering pass later? I see an interesting mix of nicely smoothed edges and others that really stand out because they're just a straight, sharp edge. Happy to point out the ones I'm noticing - just wasn't going to waste the time if you were going to revisit areas (one example being the 'cannon' on the head).

Really great work so far. :sunglasses:
    Post edited by Comco on
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2019 #385
    Comco wrote: »
    Are you holding off to do a chamfering pass later? I see an interesting mix of nicely smoothed edges and others that really stand out because they're just a straight, sharp edge. Happy to point out the ones I'm noticing - just wasn't going to waste the time if you were going to revisit areas (one example being the 'cannon' on the head).

Really great work so far. :sunglasses:

Thanks @Comco. You're right. I have been rounding and chamfering as I go. I have always tried to go for accuracy on these canon models. I'm using "blueprint" images. Some of the pieces I haven't double checked against actual model photos yet. Consequently I haven't bothered to chamfer or round because I may be changing the item later. A lot of the hull plating is just simply wrong on the blueprint.

I also think there are a few things I rounded but didn't use a big enough diameter. Go ahead and point out what you are noticing.

Having said that, I am taking 3D software liberties to try to improve realism. Once I have the shapes right, I have been working on realism by adding gaps and more detailed greebles.

0g633dls5vu0.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakChiefBrex
    edited August 2019 #386
    Side Shot. I've done hardly anything on the rear or bottom. There are so many little pieces to this thing.

qg4ddu087n1a.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakChiefBrex
    That's looking great. I always like the way Klingon ships are done with panels on top of panels, due to the layers of paint they added to the Phase II D7 to try and make it look good on the big screen. They kept that look in successive ships, and it's really cool.

Yeah, I've always liked the look too.
    Dude, the top is looking sick!
    Brandenberg
    Thanks my friend.
    I'm doing some correction, rounding and chamfering as I write this. One thing I did on this model is if you look at reference photos the 3 grills on both leading edges of the main hull are just lopped off at the top so that some of the shape is lost as you proceed peripherally. I resized the height of each fin (Proportionally) so that the effect tapers down toward the engine. It was a lot of work but the results are worth it.
    edited August 2019 #390
    Here is a grill comparison. Now that I look at it, perhaps I went a tad overboard with how closely I spaced my grill pieces.
    2wohbkzo3n2p.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ChiefBrex[Irishman]
    I'm tipping my hand and showing lots of unfinished areas but this is a nice angle.

rpegm6xzkmii.png
    RekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishFreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryChiefBrex