Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Years ago I did the Klingon Ty'Gokor Station from DS-9. The heavy ribbing seemed to imply major structural plating which seemed very Klingon to me. The last few days I have been working on another Klingon Outpost. Ty'Gokor below.

ti9d7hqx1zgc.png

Klingon Outpost WIP

9n7as6qh7qz4.png

Now THIS looks really cool! I like the industrial look about it. :)
    lennier1
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    ChiefBrex wrote: »
    How do you guys manage to make the textures and still modify the model as you go along? That's been the most interesting and confusing thing for me. Would definitely like to work on my texturing technique.

Don't feel bad my friend. I'm cheating (for now). Lightwave allows you project a texture onto surfaces using a mode called "cubic" meaning that I can just size/scale the image correctly for the particular mesh and assign it to any or all surfaces. The software takes care of projecting it correctly from the right angle needed for whatever surface in question. There is loss of realism when you give it close scrutiny. A truly well done surface texture technique wouldn't carry over to another structural component without a break like it does with "cubic" projection. It's a placeholder for now and works well enough, but this station is a work in progress.
    I should add that like everyone else, if I cut a hole or change something about a UV mapped surface, it screws the whole thing up and it has to be re-mapped. The only thing UV mapped on the immediate above image are the end pieces with the Klingon Symbol on it.
    edited August 2019 #335
    I'm also starting a Klingon Vor'Cha Class

mr5465oa9tif.png
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice! I love the Vor'Cha.
    edited August 2019 #337
    Alas, it is difficult to find very good pictures of the studio model. Not very many are in good focus.
    I don't know if you've seen the ones Madkoifish recently posted:

https://imgur.com/a/xIHWa

There are some nice pictures in that album.
    lennier1
    edited August 2019 #339
    Wow I really appreciate that - There are some really good shots. Also some of those shots I was talking about that were blurry. It is still very helpful.

Below is Engine Progress. Although on one of the images you directed me to, I can see that that structure above the engine on the pylon is quite different around the edges than I did this one.

6ha939wc5roe.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Yeah, some are blurry, but their are some really clear ones too. MKF collected them all. :)

That's looking sweet so far.
    Thanks. You're both kind and helpful. Thumbup :3
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    Those look really good in gray lol. I still wonder why they chose mint green. >_>

Refs:
    I had expected to find a bunch from the Christie's auction but not much has cropped up. Sadly it sold to a private individual so likely never be anything outside of what I posted.My favorite images are of of Gregg Jein sticking piles of styrene sheet onto the base hull with superglue.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Those look really good in gray lol. I still wonder why they chose mint green. >_>

It's weird. They started that trend with the Klingon Bird of Prey. At least on camera it isn't so mint, but still. They even went and made most of the Klingon ships on Enterprise green.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Thanks. Yeah, not only the colors chosen but the paint job on close inspection was rushed. A few years back Tobias Richter did a really nice one of these with a big improvement on the paint. Of course CGI - Way easier to paint than a real model.

edited August 2019 #345
    I did a little background reading on Memory Alpha. According to Rick Sternbach, the idea behind the design and the color was supposed to show more Starfleet influences in the Klingon ship, since it was designed in a time when the Federation and Klingon Empire were close allies. That's why the green is lighter.

Also, the model was indeed rushed. Though, to be fair, they had tight deadlines with any of the models built during the actual seasons. The Vor'cha was one of several models where Greg Jein had to enlist outside help to meet the deadline. So, I'm sure the paint job was done as neatly as time would allow. Though, once all lit and done in a scene with movement, you can't see the slight imperfections. Though, as much as I love doing and seeing CGI, sometimes I think those slight imperfections you get in handmade models just adds character. :)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I'd like to see those nacelles on REL's nice ship of a few years ago. I liked the overall design--but it needed TNG nacelles I think...
    edited August 2019 #347
    Thanks for your comments. All interesting stuff.

I made the changes to that structure on the pylon to better reflect what I saw on one of MKF's photos. At least I tried to improve accuracy. Much of the greeble work is embellished since you can't really clearly see what is there. And besides, I just wanted to.

my9wy4ebsc5o.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    The changes are subtle, so much so that I had to put both images up in tabs and flip between them. But, it does indeed look more accurate. :)
    That's so nice of you. Are you working on yours? I'm excited about that ship.
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    edited September 2019 #350
    Looking great @Brandenberg!!!!!!

(edit whisper: these threads have me so confused about who's posting what T_T)
    Post edited by ChiefBrex on
    Are you working on yours? I'm excited about that ship.

Maybe later. Right now, I'm eating.
    Big laugh - A true genius never eats... =)
    -puts down his sandwich-
    Big laugh - A true genius never eats... =)

I guess that means said genius dies of starvation, making people question the genius. :p
    Good point. Don't do that. :)

So below is progression on the Vor'Cha. When I first started this ship 4 years ago, it rapidly got tedius for some reason and I dropped it. I'm not experiencing it this time, so am moving along faster. I must be better fed.

xn0wz0ievfyc.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Comco
    It's looking great so far. :)
    Looking good. Really impressed with the details!
    Thanks guys - honestly.
    I have decided to go MKF and detail the crap out of this ship. External pipes added to the front of the bridge module but they turned out to be too small to see.

65yq36kdu1cp.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    edited August 2019 #359
    Here is a closeup of what I mean. And yes... I've noticed the rounding problem on those corners. Those cannot be seen from a distance but if I go for the pipes, that just isn't going to work. Its odd but the accuracy no doubt beats the heck out of the original model but just doesn't work for CGI

g78e3o4avl76.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180
    The details are all looking great.
    Brandenberg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Those pipes will show up ok with some different materials applied :) Base model is green, so I'd go for a dirty-goldish metallic colour, personally. This is looking nice, mate. :)
    Brandenberg