Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    In the Main Works in Progress page--it looks a bit squished--I actually like that.

Are you saying you prefer it wider vs taller? It is actually only showing part of the station.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Yes, the main upper trench.
    Redid the Upper Trench. Great suggestion psCargile.

I'm also experimenting with the texture. It is far from done.

srq2epdvje4w.png

22wtpog4m9at.png

Freakevil_genius_180shaved_apeLizzy777
    I've been going back and forth. Which logo goes on a station? The UFP logo or the Starfleet logo? Or both?
    I did considerable work on the underside and decided it needed to be lit. I may change it to a circumferential white ring of light instead.

g7is7zuq3rd1.png
    Lizzy777
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The station is looking great.

I'd go with the Federation logo. While Starbases are operated by Starfleet personnel and they do service Starfleet vessels, they're Federation installations, and they also service non Starfleet vessels. They seem to me like they'd be more of a Federation thing.
    I agree, and that is what I was leaning toward. It just occurred to me that Star "Fleet" is really a fleet of ships for exploration and defense. The stations are about science, colonization and diplomacy.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    edited August 2019 #308
    Just tuning in to this thread. That station is beautiful! Those windows will really come alive in a space setting.

I'm assuming original cast TMP era?

EDIT: I agree with evil_genius_180, Federation Logo
    Post edited by JMoney on
    edited August 2019 #309
    Here is a shot with subdued lighting (except for those lava lamps). :p
    q5r2a0zorcmb.png

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    JMoney wrote: »
    Just tuning in to this thread. That station is beautiful! Those windows will really come alive in a space setting.

One step ahead of you, thanks!
    edited August 2019 #311
    That space render looks really nice.
    I agree, and that is what I was leaning toward. It just occurred to me that Star "Fleet" is really a fleet of ships for exploration and defense. The stations are about science, colonization and diplomacy.

Yeah, Starfleet serves the Federation for exploration and defense, along with other things one would need a starship for. But, the Starbases are about so much more. They're a series of far reaching outposts for the Federation. They'd be home to and rest stops for people from all over the Federation, along with non Federation members.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    edited August 2019 #312
    They don't call you "genius" for nothing... =)

Now to figure out where to put the UFP symbol / logo...
    I replaced the image above with one where I corrected something about the render.
    I'm playing with an arboretum on the back side of the station. I need to redo the window.

u2a1tjjyn6jw.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    A shot from the top.

n69coyf3yqws.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    The arboretum seems off scale with the rest of the station. Everything else looks good.
    Too big or too small? I meant it to be a large park. There is that windowed ring thing around the base of Regula I with greenery in it.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Station is looking good.

Is the big green windows the arboretum? Then Chris is right the green it two much unless you got a jungle in there.

I know I am a bit late for the logo discussion. But what is the purpose of the Station?
    while the majority of Stations would be UPF installations, there are also sole Starfleet station. Jupiter Station is sole Starfleet R&D station. (though that did have the UPF logo on it.) also the station supporting the fleet yard around Mars would also be Starfleet installations. It all come down to what your station would be used for.
    edited August 2019 #318
    Thanks man, and good point(s) Freak. Oddly I need to build the Jupiter Station too. They are for a project I am working on. To my recollection, there was never a logo seen on the huge mushroom station orbiting earth in the Kirk, Spock, McCoy films. Also the starships always had the Starfleet logo on them, but would still have the phrase "United Federation of Planets."
    Oh forgot. On the Arboretum, it is meant to be a somewhat forested park. Trees, tree ferns, plants, grass, sidewalks.
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    I've been going back and forth. Which logo goes on a station? The UFP logo or the Starfleet logo? Or both?
    I did considerable work on the underside and decided it needed to be lit. I may change it to a circumferential white ring of light instead.

g7is7zuq3rd1.png

I like most everything about this model, except for the ventral tankage connection, which seems a bit small. Structurally, it would make more sense to have some support struts around the perimeter to keep it in place. Just my opinion, mind you, but otherwise, this is a beautiful model!
    Thanks for the input. When you say "ventral tankage connection" are you referring to the 4 copperish tanks at the bottom or the 6 round tanks above those.
    edited August 2019 #322
    Years ago I did the Klingon Ty'Gokor Station from DS-9. The heavy ribbing seemed to imply major structural plating which seemed very Klingon to me. The last few days I have been working on another Klingon Outpost. Ty'Gokor below.

ti9d7hqx1zgc.png

Klingon Outpost WIP

9n7as6qh7qz4.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakRekkertshaved_ape
    I like both of those.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Agreed! Those look great, Brandenburg! :)

I spy some segmentation on the ribbing of that bottom pic atm - I'd definitely get rid of that - and I'd suggest some chamfering on the edges of the ribs as well, to get some nice lighting to play over it.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Both of these look great!
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    @Brandenberg, your work looks amazing! I'm really impressed with the level of detail your models. Thank you for sharing with us!
    edited August 2019 #327
    I really appreciate it ChiefBrex, Freak, Evil Genius, Comco. I thank you. I’ll fix your suggestions.

One thing I’m going to do is reduce the size of the small surface pieces on the center of the Klingon Outpost. It will also get some better surface mapping. I’m delayed right now because of a few urgent home projects, but will post pretty soon. Thanks again.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Really cool look on that outpost!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    So I made the tiny Bric a brac on the central portion of the outpost smaller like I said. Comco - Rounded the satellite portions of the station's corners.

y2y6ikkpwamu.png
    evil_genius_180Freak
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    How do you guys manage to make the textures and still modify the model as you go along? That's been the most interesting and confusing thing for me. Would definitely like to work on my texturing technique.

Klingon Outpost looks great! It's almost like you took it straight out of Star Trek: Legacy.
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Thanks for the input. When you say "ventral tankage connection" are you referring to the 4 copperish tanks at the bottom or the 6 round tanks above those.

The four "copperish" tanks and above that, you have the saucer-shaped cap. Between that assembly and the above, the connection seems weak. What I was thinking, that perhaps you could fashion something similar to how Terok Nor has those pillar-like connections (somewhat aply named at power transfer conduits) that link the fusion reactor with the station, on the ventral side.