Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Voyager

• nightfevernightfever372 Posts: 585Member
    It seems that I can't cheat you. ;)
    Upper saucer grid and recesses are done. Windows are layed out and will be drilled tomorrow.

edit: hmm, my attachment space is full. image will follow.

edit: here it comes:
    voy_wip5.jpg
  • count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    is it my imagination or does the saucer deflector lip look too short? I thought it sorta tapered out closer to the saucer rim then that. Maybe it's just the angle.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    That looks great. :)
    Nadesico wrote: »
    is it my imagination or does the saucer deflector lip look too short? I thought it sorta tapered out closer to the saucer rim then that. Maybe it's just the angle.

Position and size are matching the references, so it's the angle.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I think I see what he's talking about. Compared to the same angles the deflector seems closer to the edge.
    There might be a couple of reasons for this.
    1. The angle of the Saucer may be too steep
    2. The cut out may be more pointed and less round than it appears
    3. Or may actually be closer.

My personal opinion for an accurate model:
    1. Use several different blueprints
    2. Let quarter view perspective photos be the final say
    3. For serious problems in model isolate orthos from the film model or episodes.

I've had the greatest success with the last because many blueprints are flawed in some way.
    I found the error. The deflector lip was a little bit to wide.
    Deflector lip corrected and most of the upper saucer detail done

voy_wip6.jpg
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    You need an extra edge loop around the edge of your saucer (top surface - just inset from the edge bevel). The smoothing on the bevel is uncontrolled and spreads way too far up the saucer in the area without grid lines.
    You need an extra edge loop around the edge of your saucer (top surface - just inset from the edge bevel). The smoothing on the bevel is uncontrolled and spreads way too far up the saucer in the area without grid lines.

Right, done.

Today I made the grid, windows and details on the lower saucer. The sensor greebles and the aerowing are left.

voy_wip8.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Are you going to model the auto wing shuttle severely and make it remove able?
    colbmista wrote: »
    Are you going to model the auto wing shuttle severely and make it remove able?

I still don't know. Let's see if I am up to model the aerowing when I am done with the Voyager.
    It's high time for an update here: I had to go back to the stage before I freezed the subd cage, because it was to low res. So I had to re-cut all the windows and grids.
    Now the modeling is nearly done, still have to do the sensor greebles, 3 last windows on the bridge module and the pillars for the big windows.

voy_wip10.jpg
    voy_wip11.jpg
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Wow! Very nice!

How about some wires? :D
    It's looking great. :D
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Looking awesome!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Fever, this is a great job....
    What program are you using?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice!

:thumb:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann698 Posts: 1,343Member
    You're starting to make me like the Voyager design. Darn you.
    The Voyager Design is the Second Best in the entire Series, regardless of aesthetics.
    Probert set something great in motion but he still got a few things wrong with Galaxy, windows and Escape pods in wrong places that was a monumental task. Everything from position of the Saucer for abort integration and the separation itself were planned. Entire concepts came out of Galaxy, arrays phaser and sensors, cluster torpedoes, every feature we know so well today.

Voyager took that and made it perfect. The Decks are correct, the ship uses a unique Propulsion system, the landing gear, aswell as expanding what we know about those "hard point" and features, advancing the technology.

Sovereign, Defiant and Prometheus were all a mess. Constitution and Excelsior may look great but both have easy to disable power systems something the 24th century ships did away with.

Once you do the analysis and compare, Intrepid and Galaxy were the most competent and purposeful designs Trek ever produced.
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Fever, this is a great job....
    What program are you using?

Cinema4D if I recall correctly.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Thank you guys :)
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Cinema4D if I recall correctly.
    That is correct.

Little update, nothing big to show: the rest of the windows and the pillars are done. Tonight I will do the shuttlebay plate and door, maybe with some simple interiors for the bay (will post pics then) and start with the greebles.
    Today I made the first sensor area, the biggest one behind the auxilary deflector. It is very very close to the CG studio model, because I had the chance to take a close look on the sensors of the studio model. The whole building process went faster than I expected. It helps a lot if the base area is flat and you don't have to 'invent' all the shapes.
    The main sensor area contains nearly 27.500 polygons.

voy_wip12.jpg
    voy_wip12a.jpg

• McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Only it's too shallow.
    All my images show a quite discernible rim.
    It looks great. Though, Saquist is correct. The cut out is deeper on the studio model.
    No problem, thanks for the hint. :)
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Cinema 4d. I was wondering why the texture around your windows wasn't going crazy with all the odd vertice. Something 3dsmax can't handle very well...Very nice sensor. Great work to date. You should publish your nurnies for C4D (Or sell them). There isn't many for that program, and there is no plugin for greeble either, if memory serves...just saying.

Although I like Voyager, I do prefer some of the first drawings concept of it.
    I was wondering too about the vertices around the windows
    You mean the stretched triangles? They are completely even to each other, so there are no shading problems. And you only see them in the wireframes that I render with C4D's cartoon renderer. It triangulates all n-gons.