Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Voyager

nightfevernightfever372 Posts: 585Member
edited June 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Here is my newest model that I started a couple of days before: the Intrepid class starship USS Voyager.
Working time has been about 40 hours untill now.
The main hull (saucer and engineering) is one big SubD mesh. The pylons, nacelles (both finished) and the bridge module (nearly finished) are seperate SubD meshes.
I'm using orthos of Bonchune's model as reference.

104208.jpg
104209.jpg
104210.jpg
104211.jpg
Post edited by nightfever on
Tagged:

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    An often underrated design and non frequently reproduced mesh. Beautiful so far Nightwish
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Ooh, this is going to be awesome. It already looks great. This has to be one of the most difficult Trek hulls to model, but you're already past that hurdle. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Looks like you're off to a pretty good start there, but it shouldn't be flattened off like that in the centre of the ventral saucer. Otherwise looks good to me.
  • nightfevernightfever372 Posts: 585Member
    Thank you.

The centre of the ventral saucer is not finished untill I am done with the aeroshuttle.
    I will then look what I do with that section.
  • count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    looks good, are you using the physical model for inspiration once you're finished mapping out the shape? I believe it was up for auction at Christie's so there's plenty of shots of details.

out of curiosity, where did you find the bonchune orthos? Are they on his site?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9921 Posts: 5,337Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    looks good, are you using the physical model for inspiration once you're finished mapping out the shape? I believe it was up for auction at Christie's so there's plenty of shots of details.

out of curiosity, where did you find the bonchune orthos? Are they on his site?

heh there were? All I remember was getting a lot of shots of already documented ships IE the refit and the big D and bomus stuff of the Ambassador and Defiant. Oh and a few of the SOV with guys posing with it. . . . .
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Oh and a few of the SOV with guys posing with it. . . . .
    I know! major disappointment with the sov, there were like 15 pics those guys took and that was all
    I don't know about Christie's, but there are a lot of shots of the model available. That show was done while there were a lot of Trek magazines being published and during the early days of the Internet, so it's been well documented.
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    I've got a whole folder of real model shots of the Intrepid Class as well as the Sovereign class... some close up shots too.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Possibly of use?

In German, but if you don't speak it, Google does a fair job translating the page.
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great so far, but keep in mind that the CG model was not close to the physical model, so stick with one or the other, if you want it to be accurate to either one. The good thing about the CG models is that there are plenty of high res orthos floating around the net, but I grew to not like the CG model very much compared to the original studio model.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    heh there were? All I remember was getting a lot of shots of already documented ships IE the refit and the big D and bomus stuff of the Ambassador and Defiant. Oh and a few of the SOV with guys posing with it. . . . .

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/modelle/sternenflotte/intrepid.html

There's at least 4 Christie's photos on ST bilde, a few profile shots and some close ups of the nacelle pylons that are definitely not from the existing reference material.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Orthos of Bonchune's model were available at Drexfiles a while back.

Thanks for the link to more reference images.
    At the moment I am doing a low res ready room and conference room, because I found a really nice plan for the bridge deck.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9921 Posts: 5,337Member
    3 = plenty of shots. yeah. . I only see 3 from the auction there, but 3 I did not have. Rest are from those Japanese magazines from the 90s. Though I have not seen a few of those with the black sheet in the BG. #204 Lower left, gotta be one of the nest angles for this ship. I think that link has everything that is not a promo or cap.

Forgot how massive the RCS are on that ship.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    nightfever wrote: »

Thanks for the link to more reference images.
    At the moment I am doing a low res ready room and conference room, because I found a really nice plan for the bridge deck.

I've been doing stage history reference image collections for all the trek sets. Pat's star trek stage history has excellent reference layouts for the entire bridge level, as well as the quarters sets, you should be able to use those for some low poly window views if you so desire.

Also, I found these:
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/07/voyagers-visual-effects-creating-the-cg-voyager-with-rob-bonchune/

Bonchune did a HD render of the Voyager in ortho view as a trekcore exclusive after the Drexfiles post, apparently, from the description it includes model detail that wasn't on the original CG version, hope it helps!
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Thanks again.

When I'm done with the rooms, I'll post some renders

In that case, they're available on Ex Astris Scientia. I wasn't sure if they were the correct ones until you mentioned Drex Files.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/intrepid1.htm
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Nighfever,

There is a scene I've been dying to see ever since Voyager went off the air.
    I think they rob us by not putting it in the final episode.

If it's possible can you create the scene we should have seen of Voyager coming home and passing through the doors of Earth's Orbial City and Docking?
  • rjw4259rjw42590 Posts: 0Member
    I wish my meshes looked this perfectly even. I don't even know where to begin to make such a polished mesh.
    Saquist wrote: »
    Nighfever,

There is a scene I've been dying to see ever since Voyager went off the air.
    I think they rob us by not putting it in the final episode.

If it's possible can you create the scene we should have seen of Voyager coming home and passing through the doors of Earth's Orbial City and Docking?

:) Okay, then I need to finish my mushroom base after this.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet smooth mesh.
    imo don't use the cg model as a reference, it's too wibbly
    Two little updates:
    First, the briefing room and JanewayA’s office are done. They are pretty simple and low poly. There texture map for both rooms and furnitures have baked lighting and reflections. No decorations atm. There is only a sun light and a fill light in the attached scenes .
    (If someone can provide the color codes for the sets for me, IA’d be really happy.)
    Second, I made some changes in the base mesh (mostly around the back of the dorsal saucer) to make it more smooth. Now I am happy with it and can go over to cutting in recesses, windows and grids.
    104279.jpg104280.jpg104281.jpg104282.jpg104283.jpg104284.jpg104285.jpg
    There texture map for both rooms and furnitures have baked lighting and reflections. No decorations atm.
    could you explain this a bit more? I didn't know it was possible to bake reflections
    IRML wrote: »
    could you explain this a bit more? I didn't know it was possible to bake reflections

From the color map I made an addtional reflection map. With the maps in the diffuse and reflection channel and the lighting I used C4D's function to bake the reflection into a bitmap.
    In Photoshop I blurred it according to the particular object surface.
    From the color map I made an addtional reflection map. With the maps in the diffuse and reflection channel and the lighting I used C4D's function to bake the reflection into a bitmap.
    In Photoshop I blurred it according to the particular object surface.
    so it's a separate map? like a typical spherical reflection map?
    Wow, that's looking great. I really love the materials, they look very true to the filming sets.

I saw on special features once how they put bent pictures behind the windows for the rooms on the studio model, to give the ship a bit more realistic look. Interestingly, that's not all that different than what we do now when we add room boxes with textures to them behind the windows. Though, of course, you also went a step further and added furniture. But, it's the same basic concept. :)
    IRML wrote: »
    so it's a separate map? like a typical spherical reflection map?

Yes it came out as seperate map, but not spherical but mapped on the UV layout. The reflections are fully static and do not change with the view.
    Yes it came out as seperate map, but not spherical but mapped on the UV layout. The reflections are fully static and do not change with the view.
    aah ok this is what was confusing me, I didn't think you could stick them on the same map without them being static.... and I was right hehe