Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Odyssey Class variant

SchmidtFGSchmidtFG208 Posts: 203Member
edited December 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Here's my second Star Trek model started not too long ago, the Odyssey Class.
I have to admit this ship is my personal favourite and I don't tell too big secret if I say it's going to be a real challenge to make. Unfortunately I haven't found good screenies or blueprints of this class nevertheless I spent several weeks with searching for them so the physical panel work going to be "fun"...

About the model: I made the body from one piece at first but I'd got a bit of problems with the intersections of the craddle and the deflector so I decided to make them separated. The deflector is retractable with this solution.
I made some modification on the ship's aft/bottom part and the engines as well. The transition of the saucer and the body (the craddle upper actually) was real pain to make so were the main hangar and the impulse engines because I made all polys manually one by one and there are several deceptive shapes around.
Here are the screenies of the basic shape:
103200.jpg
Post edited by SchmidtFG on
Tagged:

• SchmidtFGSchmidtFG208 Posts: 203Member
    more pics:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I'm definitely getting a contemporary architecture vibe off this ship, I feel like I would see the same swooping lines in any architectural magazine I pick up. And I'm not saying that as a bad thing, it just seems to be the direction you're headed in. I'll be interested to see how it's textured.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. I had one of these in Star Trek Online, after they first came out. If I still had the ship and could still play the game, I'd make you some screen shots. But, alas, that's not possible. However, it looks like you're doing great without them. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Hm, the design feels inspired by the Soulwolf class. Especially with the split neck idea. Can't say I like it, but well....
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    ^It's the winning design from the "Design the Next Enterprise" contest, as interpreted by the modeller at Star Trek Online.
  • metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
    happen to play sto myself and stil have the oddy class that was given out for the 2nd year anniversery need any screenies just pm me :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Oh you would build this one :P

https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/OdysseyClassRefs

This page will be updated ocassiaonally in the near future.. my refs are all on different computers!

had a thought of building this next myself.. or sometime in the near future :) Looking good!
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I like this, is this from that Star Trek game?
  • RekkertRekkert4055 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,306Member
    I like it so far, and the original Odyssey grew on me over time, so I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Halo BuffHalo Buff331 Posts: 0Member
    I fly an Engineering Odyssey. It looks awesome with the iridescence endowed by the M.A.C.O. Space Set. Would love to see this finished.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    great stuff here....
    i did recently the master system display of the Odyssey and the Aquarius-Class on request. here and here are the links to it.
    @VALKYRIE:
    Appreciate the screenies bro!
    had a thought of building this next myself.. or sometime in the near future
    And I would have had easier job... (again):)

@Halo Buff:
    Presume you mean the honeycomb plating with drk blue illum. I might make that in the near future, depends on how it turns up.

@commandersozo: Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I checked the displays you made for the Odyssey Class, amazing piece of work!

@Lonewriter: Yes, this is the biggest cruiser class with 2500 crew as far as I know.

@metalsnake: Thanks bud, this problem has been solved:)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks bud!

Sorry for the delay, but I had serious problems with the mesh itself plus thanks to the screenies I picked on several new details and because of that, redoed the saucer bottom completely.
    The problem caused me a really s#&@tstorm, as 3ds max users might know here, there are two very good commands at the edge tab, namely the loop and the ring. They are our best friends unless you do something drastic like assigning an isolated line accidently and press loop then delete... that can be wonderful...
    And when I picked that on? Of course after collapsing the whole mess into high poly. I was lucky though because I have several saves around so I could replace the "damaged parts" with the undamaged basic shape by using merge.
    About the progress: I added the basic panel lines and several greebles to the saucer and the nacelle. I have to admit I wanted to use aztec patterns but the shape of the saucer doesn't really make my life easier so it does look like I have to find another option. Warp might be a possible solution on the pattern though didn't work so far. The redoed parts can be seen on the bottom part by the "sharp mouth". The body is one piece except the greebles and the engines. Hmm.. too many characters I talk too much... pics bellow:
    And the docking area:
  • JayruJayru1143 UKPosts: 704Member
    Amazing work - I have to say I wasn't struck on the design when it was picked for STO - but it has grown on me, and yeah, I make use of one of these babies in game...

My advice re Max? Incremental saves (periodically hit the plus button on the save panel) - and set up your auto-saving as well. Yeah, means you end up with a lot of files, but rather that then ending up with a ****storm of a problem you can't fix ;) Those two things have saved my bacon (and my mesh projects) time and time again.
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    looking outstanding! loving the detail!! keep it going!!
  • Beda of BorgBeda of Borg0 Posts: 0Member
    i totaly LOVE it! the odyssey-class is one of my favorite designs of the (mostly ugly) "non canon" ships in STO... and its the new enterprise-f! :D
    yeah i know, they said it is the official sequel of the prime universe but somehow..... well... -.-
    i hope you will release this beauty when its finish?! :D *get on my knees* ^^
  • vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    I love the curves here and modeling work is really great :D

Though, I have some suggestion below (PS -sry that I had to butcher your image). I know that this is from STO, however, in my opinion it strained just to far what I would consider ST (federation) design. Arrow like design is just too aggressive for anything that federation stands for (benevolent community of planets and myriad of species) and it got out of the control since VOY and the E from the TNG movies. :( anyway, just my suggestion to get out of the box ;)

odyssey_02 copy.jpg
    101105.jpg
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Welcome back!
    YouA’re doing a fine work. Just a really smal niptick. Looking at teh oissey_05 pic, one "arrow" under the saucer looks to pointy, I suggest to chamfer that bit. ;)

About the variant with rounded saucer, it could have been a totatlly diferent ship. rounding the saucer, breaks the design flow, done to follow the arrow shape. Maybe itA’s time for a variant from your own? ;)
    interresting.... :)
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Like that, without the secondary hull, she almost looks like a modern-age NX. For some strange reason I find it to be a very nice sight!
    Despite the problems along the way, she's shaping up great. :)
    @Jayru:
    Yes, you're right, I have had several different saves since then.
    Btw, thanks for the rendering advice, very helpful!

@VALKYRIE:
    I'm glad you like it:)

@Beda of Borg, Borgman: hmm...Borg agents around... I know what you want to see guys: an assimilated odyssey:) okay I admit I've been thinking of making the assimilated space set for her...

@Starship:
    Hmm... i guess you mean the arrow-like end at the fore of the saucer bottom side on the 4th image. If you do so that is because I didn't weld the 2 half saucers as I'm still working on it. When I finish the whole texturing process I will do it.:)

@evil_genius_180:
    Thank you:)

@vmblast:
    Altough it is a good idea like the new ambassador's saucer would be mixed with the odyssey's cradle, I'm stick to the basic shape because I like the original concept.

A little progress on the docking areas and played a bit with the lights. Now I start cutting the windows manually, so pray for me please.....
    Don't worry, this ship only has a few windows. :lol:

She's looking great. :D
  • JayruJayru1143 UKPosts: 704Member
    Coming along well - and happy to pass on the advice I was given ;)
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    sweet work. :)
    @Aresius, Jayru:
    Thank you guys:)

@evil_genius_180:
    Don't worry, this ship only has a few windows
    Dear evil, I think you meant an u-boat... It's not an u-boat:D

In short: when I finished the 200th window I felt I start losing my mind.... After finishing the 400th window, my mental health was strongly questionable. After finishing the 600th...well...figure it out...
    So, here are the (not all) windows from an already half idiot....:
    Looking good. I know I wouldn't want to cut all of those windows. ;)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Looking good. I know I wouldn't want to cut all of those windows. ;)

IA’m with you! :lol:

But the mesh is showing all your hard work, and is a beauty! I do like to much of that phaser banks too (assuming that it is a phaser bank). :)
  • RekkertRekkert4055 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,306Member
    Those certainly are a lot of windows! Good luck regaining your mental health! :lol:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    well, look at it this way.. u only have to make half of them.. :argh:

looking excellent! love the phasers and phaser nipples too!