Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDS9 Runabout

• tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the sharp eye - I didnA’t have a warp grill on the inside. ThatA’s fixed now. I also finished the pod. Now some interior and itA’s ready for uvmapping and texturing...

runabout_wip_09.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_09.jpg

runabout_wip_10.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_10.jpg

runabout_wip_11.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_11.jpg
  • Wolvster1Wolvster10 Posts: 0Member
    Look's AWESOME... :D

One thing to remember too gang, unlike " most " shows out there DS9 started
    with physical models. Many of those shots were re-used during the Seasons runs.
    So, while the STUDIO model had warp grills on the inner nacelles the later CGI
    one didn't. All boils down too what the original modelers decided to add and not
    add to their meshes..

Same holds true for the Defiant. The CGI one is not " exactly " the same as the
    physical model either.... ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Man, you work so fast. The pod looks fantastic, as does the rest of the model. I'm looking forward to seeing it textured. :D

Yeah, they got a lot of their ships "wrong" when they made the CG models. The Nebula-class is dreadfully inaccurate. That's one of the worst I can think of.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    It's news to me about there being such a difference on the Runabout model (I was scouring t'interwebs to double-check after commenting initially, too)... Do you have a source for this?

(I'm aware of the usual Defiant, Nebula, etc issues... And the Miranda class nacelle lighting on the DS9 CGI version used to drive me up the wall!)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    looks good so far....
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, Tobias, how you make the rest of us look like mere mortals!
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Tobias, I'll keep those one file.
    May I ask for an underside view too?
    scratch that I see on the previous pages...
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    He doesn't mess about does he? That weapons pod looks excellent, as does the rest of the thing. Cracking work as always.
  • bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    Great work there you never fail to amaze me :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    no interiors yet?
    DidnA’t have much time on the weekend, so the interior took a little longer, but here it is - modelled and textured. The windows will be tinted rather dark, so you wonA’t see as much as in these images.

runabout_wip_12.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_12.jpg

runabout_wip_13.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_13.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing.

Are all the inside lights baked on textures?
    I love how "took a little longer" has a completely different meaning for you than it does for us mere mortals. :lol:

It looks fantastic, of course. :D
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice... :)
  • trekkitrekki951 Posts: 1,403Member
    Very cool, i love it!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looks like a paper cutout :)

Love the low poly interiors sir!
    bio: the textures for the interior are a combination of baked ambient occlusion, baked GI and elements from screencaps. ItA’s all baked into the texture, so theres only one illuminated map for the interiors.
    Very efficient!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    So does this mean there's a whole chamber in the runabout that we don't know about?
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Officially? Yes, it's a complete black box. Unofficially (according to the DS9 TM) the section is actually 4 half-modules that can be swapped out for specific mission roles. Like medical services, or cargo space or additional fuel/weapons.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I assume the bathroom is in there too.
    Sleeping area and toilet no doubt.
    They have some kind of cabins, because they're mentioned (but never shown) in some of the DS9 episodes. Of course, the only time we even saw the room in the back was on that one TNG episode with the runabout in it. They never showed that on DS9.
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    They have some kind of cabins, because they're mentioned (but never shown) in some of the DS9 episodes. Of course, the only time we even saw the room in the back was on that one TNG episode with the runabout in it. They never showed that on DS9.

"Timescape" (TNG) was the only episode ever to show the back of a Danube-Class, and did nothing to show the center section. So if you want my advice, I'd either go off of what the DS9 Tech Manual says, or get creative.
    Why did you quote me and then say basically the same thing I did?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    This has always been an annoying detail in the history of the design. They added the Runabout to that episode to justify building the aft set on TNG's budget to take some load off DS9's initial costs to establish everything and then they never used the aft section again. A huge waste of money and opportunities.
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    I felt the episode needed to be named. I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    This has always been an annoying detail in the history of the design. They added the Runabout to that episode to justify building the aft set on TNG's budget to take some load off DS9's initial costs to establish everything and then they never used the aft section again. A huge waste of money and opportunities.

Maybe the people behind DS9 had too much pride to use TNG's hand me downs.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    that back room has so much potential other then a dumb table in the middle with 4 chairs it could have a nice lunge couch a book shelf a better table closer to the replicator a bar all sorts of things
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    biotech wrote: »
    Maybe the people behind DS9 had too much pride to use TNG's hand me downs.

Well, make no mistake. They used it, but for completely different things. Sadly, it was never for the runabout.

It showed up in at least one episode where a bunch of colonists had been marooned on a planet for some years (by nefarious plot it turns out), and a few DS9 crew members (including Sisko) were trapped with them. That aft cabin set was the interior of the colonists' ship, overrun with leafy greens. Parts of it would eventually come to serve the Defiant's interior purposes, as the bunks would become those in her crew cabins.

Great work Tobias! :D