Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDS9 Runabout

tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2013 in Work in Progress #1
With the DS9 being done, I move on to the Runabout... Started with the front section. I may have to build some interior for this as well, as we have pretty big windows in there. So if anyone has screengrabs of the interior, IA’d appreciate it if they could share them.

runabout_wip_01.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_01.jpg
98532.jpg
Post edited by tobiasrichter on
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki951 Posts: 1,403Member
    Have a good work tobias.
    Greetings ....
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Looks like you're off to a good start.

Just a heads-up: Reference hunting could get a tad tricky at times, because there are also some photos of blast models (heavily modified Revell model kits) and said model kit has a ton of inaccuracies (e.g., cockpit windows at an incorrect angle).
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Nice start!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/runabout_interior.htm

load of interior pics.. :)

good luck sir! looking forward to how you do a few things on this :)

Is that all 1 piece?
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Yeah! That'll go nice with the station. Always loved the runabouts!
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias because the set for the runabout also played other shuttlecraft in the movies and Small Craft in Voyager it's been redressed a number of times and as a result there are differences between many of the pictures. So it's a good idea to get a few shots from the same episode as it could be confusing what kind of detail should be behind pilots.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Tobias because the set for the runabout also played other shuttlecraft in the movies and Small Craft in Voyager it's been redressed a number of times and as a result there are differences between many of the pictures. So it's a good idea to get a few shots from the same episode as it could be confusing what kind of detail should be behind pilots.
    @Tobias: In case you decide to do so, definitely don't forget to use the Ex Astris Scientia link up there to pick the redress you like the most.
    Here are some interior shots and recreations.

Note:
    The Pedestal Console isn't always present
    98537.jpg98538.jpg98539.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Yeah, in latter episodes, it seems they omitted the central console...
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice start Tobias, should be an interesting build.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love these things. Great start, as usual. :D
    More shots from the Episode Quickening of the 4th Season.
    It shows from the "Bay Windows" what the runabout looks like without the center Pedestal and the side window shutters closed as well as a view of the transporter pad as Julian is about to be beamed down. On either side of him are entry Doors into the Runabout or in this case EXIT Doors)
    98543.jpg98544.jpg98545.jpg98546.jpg98547.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Very nice work Tobias.

Say.... are there more versions of this ship besides the stock one and the one with the roll-bar?
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Front section is completely modelled, now onto the middle section.

Thanks a lot for the interior links and pictures - that should be more then sufficient for a lowpoly interior.

RoadWarrior - not that I know of. They apparently changed the interior a bit during the seasons.
    Saquist - thanks for the warning. I have two pictures of the Christies model. If there are more around, IA’d love to see them.
    Valk - no, itA’s not one piece. All the detail is modelled seperatly.

runabout_wip_02.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_02.jpg
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Dang, how do you model so quickly and by eye balling stuff... :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Man! I just started playing around with one of these! But I figured with all the DS9 builds finishing up, this was bound to surface. Great start on this - I was having a lot of trouble getting the references together, especially the bits on the bottom. Looking forward to see how you piece the middle together.
    Looks great sir!

thanks, need to be more specific.. the front window area cutout, is it all made in one piece or did you boolean it out?
    Basic middle section and the detailed top are done...

Valk - the front windows are partly seperate (the main opening). Everything that is recessed is one part again. I usually just bool out the edge, clean that up and then build the rest inward by hand. ItA’s a slightly cleaner result that way.

I have no reference on the bottom except the kit and the one promo shot with the DS9. But they seem to match fairly well, so IA’ll go with the kit there.

runabout_wip_03.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_03.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    should make the sled(top peice) a seperate object and then have it so u can put in diff modules in the body section like it has in some of the pics that way you can make diff rooms for it and jsut switch them out
    ah thanks! just wondering.. you do smoothing real well :)

Looks good!
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    I used to have the AMT scale model of the runabout, before the great purge. I wish I still had it!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Man, you're fast at this stuff. It looks great. :D
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Tobias you make it look easy...but I been around awhile....your running out of ships to mesh bud - need to tackle the Romulans or Klingon's or Feringi......just throw-in out a suggestion

Again

Looks fantastic!
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    Really awesome start. I certainly can't wait to see it finished. The Danube-class Runabout is one of my most favorite ship designs ever. A multi-purpose warp capable small starship. And given your previous work I will need a bib when you're done with this I'm sure!
    Basic middle section and the detailed top are done...

Valk - the front windows are partly seperate (the main opening). Everything that is recessed is one part again. I usually just bool out the edge, clean that up and then build the rest inward by hand. ItA’s a slightly cleaner result that way.

I have no reference on the bottom except the kit and the one promo shot with the DS9. But they seem to match fairly well, so IA’ll go with the kit there.

runabout_wip_03.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_03.jpg

I looked hard and far but I couldn't find more shots and I only have season 4 of DS9 which I got for the Defiant shots.
    I'll look through the season again.
    Heres a few of the best shots I have on DVD.

vlcsnap2010062301h41m28.th.png
    vlcsnap2010062301h41m14.th.png
    vlcsnap2010062301h41m02.th.png
    vlcsnap00017sd.th.png
    vlcsnap00015ks.th.png
    vlcsnap00014a.th.png
    vlcsnap00013ll.th.png
    runabout4.th.jpg
    runaboutbottom3.th.jpg
    runaboutbottom2.th.jpg
    runaboutbottom1.th.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I better get a reply in here before you get the thing finished.

Excellent work again Mr Speedy.
    Thanks for the reference! That will certainly be helpful...

runabout_wip_04.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/runabout/runabout_wip_04.jpg
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    wantwantwantwant......droool......
    :notworthy: