Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DTalon's starship designs of miscellany

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, back in 3D now and working out the landing gear which should be fun.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ugh, landing gear. May The Force be with you.
  • kvorshkkvorshk171 Posts: 76Member
    Beautiful work, she looks really good.
    Jeez, can't believe how long it has been since I updated this thread, a few other projects on the go being the reason. Don't worry this ship has not been abandoned, and will be finished (at some point) :p.

Here is the first of two designs I would have been looking at developing had I got a bit further in a certain challenge. Well here are the rough sketches for you to enjoy, I'll be working this up into 3d pretty rapidly, so keep your eyes peeled for further updates.

So let me introduce you to the V-Wing Interceptor:

V-Wing_Sketch_01.jpg

V-Wing_Sketch_02.jpg

V-Wing_Sketch_03.jpg
    110712.jpg110713.jpg110714.jpg
    Nice work, that's really cool.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Top view looks more like a "w", but other than that it's really cool.
    I hear you. Once it goes into 3d I might make the forward swept nature of the wings more prominent emphasizing the 'V' form over the 'W' one somewhat.
    How about doing a "V" where the point is the cockpit, with the engines being right at the back on some wings or something?
    A kinda delta wing style affair? Not for this one, definitely feeling more of a forward swept wing design for this. Besides it doesn't have to be totally on the nose with ship shape representing the letter shape as long as there is a hint of it in there.
    Hell, none of the V-Wings they've made for Star Wars resemble a V. For that matter, the B-Wing doesn't look like a B. So, I'm not so sure it matters if it actually resembles the letter it's named for. ;)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    The B-Wing was for "Blade" Wing. It was supposed to represent a dagger ... of sorts ... when deployed for combat (with the hull down rather than sideways).

What I'd like to see is a V-Wing where the cockpit is at the apex with the engines underneath ... but, the prongs of the V are FOREWARD, not aft. So, it flies at the enemy like an open wedge rather than an arrow-point. That'd be weird and cool.

That said, your design (while not very V-ish) is still quite cool.
  • Wraith13Wraith130 Posts: 0Member
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    The B-Wing was for "Blade" Wing. It was supposed to represent a dagger ... of sorts ... when deployed for combat (with the hull down rather than sideways).

What I'd like to see is a V-Wing where the cockpit is at the apex with the engines underneath ... but, the prongs of the V are FOREWARD, not aft. So, it flies at the enemy like an open wedge rather than an arrow-point. That'd be weird and cool.

That said, your design (while not very V-ish) is still quite cool.

Like the Deckfighter from the Last Starfighter?

http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2008/06/-11-226193.jpg
    Heh, had to look that up, as had no idea what you meant. Didn't ever realise that the enemy ships in The Last Starfighter were called Deck Fighters. A very boring design though, hopefully my results will be a bit more interesting visually when I'm done.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Wraith13 wrote: »
    Like the Deckfighter from the Last Starfighter?

http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2008/06/-11-226193.jpg

I'd forgotten about those. Of course, they mostly exist to explode in large quantities so their overall design was secondary to their "fragmentary potential" as it were. :)

That movie is on the list of "things I hope they DO NOT remake!!" :)
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about those. Of course, they mostly exist to explode in large quantities so their overall design was secondary to their "fragmentary potential" as it were. :)

That movie is on the list of "things I hope they DO NOT remake!!" :)

I don't know actually, because CGI was in it's infancy in this I wouldn't mind them having another crack at it, or at least remastering the effects and keeping the original live action footage. Similar to Foundation 3D's other big project, I'd love to see a remastered Babylon 5 with all new updated effects.

Anyhow, now I've made that controversial statement, time for an update.

:p

So my vision of a Star Wars V-Wing Interceptor finally makes it into 3D, still in fairly early stages, just blocking out the main body to see if I can make sense of all those shapes and the way they converge to form the whole. I certainly don't like to make my life easy it seems.

:rolleyes:

V-Wing_WIP_01.jpg V-Wing_WIP_02.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_03.jpg V-Wing_WIP_04.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_05.jpg V-Wing_WIP_06.jpg
    110718.jpg110719.jpg110720.jpg110721.jpg110722.jpg110723.jpg
    Work has progressed on this, with the blocking out pretty much done, pretty happy with it so far, have done a reasonable job of interpreting my 2d sketches of the thing, so now everything is in place I can start detailing this thing up. Still a few major things to add as well as the minor details, the cockpit canopy for example, the concussion missile launchers that are going to be housed in those spoiler like constructs either side to the rear of the cockpit, the addition of an orifice in the engine cowling for the thrust nozzles to protrude out of, a section either side of the cockpit module under the concussion missile launchers and between the engines which will just attach and unify that back end a bit more, a little mesh clean-up and greeble detailing.

The idea behind this design is that this is to enhance the Rebel Alliance's interceptor squadrons. The A-Wing has proven very effective in this role, but the addition of the V-Wing to the fleet will give them a Heavy Interceptor, not heavy in weight, it shouldn't be that much bigger than an A-Wing, but heavier in pure stopping power. A pair of wing mounted heavy repeating laser cannons should allow it to throw up a pretty deadly wall of hot light tearing through most starfighters that the Empire deploys like a knife through butter, but most importantly it should make short work of most Imperial bomber craft. The cannons will be complemented by 4 concussion missile tubes which should mean this little starfighter should be able to punch way above it's weight.

I see this craft being developed towards the end of the Galactic Civil War, and while the Alliance is getting better equipped with a larger pool of resources to draw from as more systems join the fight, the design will also take advantage of the fact that the fleet is suffering from considerable losses and fatigue over time, and the fact that the main workhorse of the Rebel fleet, the X-Wing, will have suffered considerably over the years it has been holding the front line. With a greater number of decommissioned X-Wings on the scrapheap due to terminal battle damage there is a great resource becoming available for salvage, and with four impressively powerful engines each, it would be a shame for them to go to waste just because a space-frame is damaged beyond repair. So in designing this new interceptor Alliance engineers took this into consideration and built the ship around the power plant of a pair of X-Wing Incom 4L4 Fusial Thrust Engines. Housed in a custom engine cowling to allow the engines to more seamlessly integrate with the V-Wing's design. They also rotate slightly on take off to down sweep the wings mounted on them from the horizontal configuration that they are found in when landed.

The wing tips in addition to the cannons, also house a cluster of maneuvering thrusters to aid the starfighter in performing some of it's more extreme maneuvers. Where as the A-Wing would rely largely on it's speed, the V-Wing would be more about maneuverability, while still being quite fast due to the comparatively light space-frame and powerful engines. Despite it's impressive all round capabilities the craft does has its limitations. The heavy repeating laser cannons despite best efforts to afford them state of the art cooling systems, are prone to overheating under sustained fire, so must be using sparingly, or tactically to avoid the severely crippling overheating issue. Also despite having four concussion missile tubes, the starfighter's small size means there is only room for a magazine of two missiles per tube. Similar to the A-Wing this fighter doesn't come equipped with an astromech droid slot either, and so comes with a navigation computer capable of storing the co-ordinates for two jumps, this limits the ship somewhat meaning it can't be as autonomous as an X or Y-Wing, but this limitation does still allow the craft to ably fulfill its interceptor patrol mission role in defense of a home base fleet or perform limited strike missions against the enemy.

Well that's enough background waffle. Here is some eye candy.

V-Wing_WIP_07.jpg V-Wing_WIP_09.jpg V-Wing_WIP_10.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_08.jpg V-Wing_WIP_11.jpg V-Wing_WIP_14.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_12.jpg V-Wing_WIP_13.jpg V-Wing_WIP_15.jpg

Enjoy.
    110725.jpg110726.jpg110727.jpg110728.jpg110729.jpg110730.jpg110731.jpg110732.jpg110733.jpg
    Continuing development on this, slow, but you know, SWBF: Bespin? You understand.

:p

So basically built the connective tissue between the components of the main body, and added some additional booster rocket engines for a bit of a turbo boost, and added the basic structure for the concussion missile launchers. Also refined the mesh in places. Lastly for this update a side view, not looking too bad, looks a lot like my original concept sketch, next up I'll be getting that cockpit canopy and hole for the thrust nozzles sorted.

V-Wing_WIP_16.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_17.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_18.jpg
    110736.jpg110737.jpg110738.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    some cool designs you have here!
    Cheers Chris, hopefully I'll manage to get around to finish modelling one of them, so many projects so little time.

;)
    The 3D version is looking good so far. :thumb:
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Continuing development on this, slow, but you know, SWBF: Bespin? You understand.

Hm, that must be what was trying to download but was failing because my PS4 was downloading a system update last night.
    A bit more work done today amongst the Battlefront playing. :p

Detailing up the engines, sorting out the cutout for the thrusters to protrude from, etc.

V-Wing_WIP_19.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_20.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_21.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_22.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_23.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_24.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_25.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_26.jpg
    Looking awesome. Damn you model fast. xD
    I bloody don't, this is like me modelling in molasses because I have so many other projects and concerns taking my time away from it, but that's life in the big city kid.
    Compared to me you go fast. It's taken me about a week to finish building a TOS nacelle. And I'd already got it half done months ago. xD
    Compared to many of us, that's fast work. And it looks great too. :)
    Thanks guys, to be fair though because I'm doing this more as concept design than final model, I'm just slapping it together which is what is giving me the apparent speed to some extent.

Pretty much done with the body now, cockpit canopy finally added, and a few other bits and bobs, might be a few more details to go in there, but mostly done and moving on to the wings and laser cannons next and I'll be able to call it done, then will do a paint over for applying colour and set up a little scene for the thing. Anyhow here are a few WIP renders of the body. Nice to have a stash of greebles from previous work, really helps to speed up the workflow.

V-Wing_WIP_26_1.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_27.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_28.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_29.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_30.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_31.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_32.jpg

V-Wing_WIP_33.jpg
    I'm really liking the main body a lot. The shapes are really nice and I like how they blend together.
    Thanks Evil, wanted to get some nice curves in there to make it look quite unique, but hopefully still Star Warsy enough, and with the more angular wings, greeble details, and of course the X-Wing style rear sections to the engines, bring it back a bit more into Original Trilogy territory.

:)
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I love it when you look at something awesome, and the designer says "Well, I don't really have any time, so I'm just farting around and throwing bits together, without any real thought"... ;)

All very nice work.
    Thanks Dannage. Heh, well I wouldn't go that far. A lot of thought and effort has gone into it. What I meant was that the model is very roughly put together, for speeds sake. So that if I was doing the proper model for use in a game for example, all the parts would be knitted together properly and all that, rather than all the components just being shoved together as they are now.