Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DTalon's starship designs of miscellany

• japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    I think I get it...but maybe if you could wip up another quick sketch or soemthing I'd be able to get it faster!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I am really loving thses desgins.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers Freak, Japetus, I'll put something together over the weekend for you for those arrays.
    Hi there Japetus, hope you don't mind, but I grabbed one of your earlier renders of this ship design and overlaid the new idea I have for the array at the rear, thought it was just as easy and quick as drawing it out, and would give a more effective visual of what I was thinking. Anyhow, this is the base idea, feel free to embellish, it is still rough and is just basically blocked out. There could be lots of additional touches added in there such as the details on the individual array blades themselves, there might be different sized blades in the array, secondary ones in the gaps between them or all sorts of other stuff, plus the actual couplings and devices that the array blades are mounted on.

superkiller_Mockup.jpg

Please feel free to take or leave what you want from this, I'm sure what you come up with will be excellent, or if you want any further direction on this detail I'll be happy to do that also.
    102022.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Kinda seeing a peacock there... which is kind of cool, actually, I may take a cue from that and design a robot peacock (Kung Fu Panda 2 proved they can be pretty bad-@ss).
    Yeah, that's pretty much where the inspiration for this array design came from.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Thanks Talon that helped a ton! Interesting design, Ill see what I can do...
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    far preferred it without that "peacock" tail. thought it was awesome as it was a page or so back. if you must add something extra do some engines on pylons, like a babylon 5 thunderbolt has.
    I'd have to disagree with adding extra engines, not a big fan of adding engines for the sake of it, a Babylon 5 Starfury/Thunderbolt works so well because that is a very practical design with no more or less than it needs, all the fat is trimmed from it design wise, and that number of engines and thrusters etc are exactly what is needed to make that ship function as it should in that fictional reality.

With this ship it is a little more fantastical and a little bit more out there and over the top because it was designed for a videogame. I don't see what I've posted here as the final look for this ship, just a rough estimate of my new idea for the array for Japetus to draw inspiration from, I hope he goes further and takes it in more sophisticated and detailed routes than I have, I knocked that up in a few minutes. The idea behind it is that the ship is so powerful for its size that it requires multiple powerplants, so it has primary weapon power generated by the cylindrical reactor thing, a power core for engines and propulsion, etc, and additional power reserves drawn from the array. It was also designed to stand out from the crowd being a boss like enemy ship, so that is the other reason for a big form of display to separate it from other fighters, I just took that display element a little literally here, but like I say this is just the basic concept. Lets see what Japetus can do with the design before we write it off.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    space fighter why must you slap extra engines on every things the pecock style fan things a very intereting conceptual design so he should keep going where it is
    Have been doing some cool stuff with game engines and new texturing techniques and what have you lately, but haven't had the chance to get it some pure and simple model building for a while, so as a bit of a palette cleanser I've decided to take a crack at my Corellian Courier spacecraft design. This one was originally a design for a transport that would have been used in First Strike as a counter to the Imperial's Lambda or Sentinel class shuttles as a rapid deployment troop transport. After all the Rebels can't be hijacking the Empire's hardware every time they need a space/air transport.

Agrippa_Scan.jpg

The design very clearly borrows a lineage from the Episode I Republic Cruiser that opened the prequel trilogy, but scaled down to a more shuttle/Millennium Falcon type size, this also takes inspiration from the original Ralph McQuarrie vision of what the Millennium Falcon would be before the production realised it looked a lot like a Space 1999 Eagle Transport and scrapped the idea, instead enlarging that ship design and turning it into the Corellian Corvette Blockade Runner and going with the flying hamburger design instead.

Below are WIP images of the first bit of work I've done on this, mainly just blocking out the shapes and getting a feel for the ship, just have the front end to work on now and then detailing on this can truly begin.

Corellian_Courier_WIP_01.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_02.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_03.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_04.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Oh nice. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet! I love the Republic Cruiser influence. That's a great design, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to watching this progress. :D
    Glad to hear it, have a few more shots to show today. Still feeling out the shape in some areas, but just about ready to sign off on the general shape and get into detailing this thing. The proportions deviate a little from the concept art, but I think I'm happy with it. She's got a fat ass, but with all that thrust potential powering a relatively small ship mass I think this should turn out to be something of a speedy hot rod.

Corellian_Courier_WIP_05.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_06.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_07.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_08.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_09.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_10.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.
    I really like that front end. Great stuff. :)
    Cheers, needs a little more work I think, but it is practically there now.
    Not sure about the shape of the cockpit overall, seems rather narrow. The rest looks great.

How thick is that fin-type thing connecting to the engines at the rear? It seems to break the solid feeling of the rest of the ship. If it were me, I'd keep the shape but make it thicker and taper down the edges, similar to that mid section. Overall, I'd take this over the Ep1 ship.
    I'm looking at doing something interesting with the cockpit area, the front pane of the cockpit canopy is quite a bit taller than it needs to be, so I was thinking of having a bit of a slope down in the cockpit with a staggered tandem pilot/navigator situation akin to an Apache Gunship, only the positions would be reversed, with the pilot being sat in front, and the navigator/belly turret gunner sitting above and slightly to one side. The cockpit and corridor leading to it will still be quite narrow, but not much as it would appear now.

might look at thickening the fin leading to the engines, does look really thin side on. Think if I do that I'll also spilt that engineering blister in two as well, so there is as much of it above and below the fin as there is now as I think that currently looks right as it is.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.
    Based on the feedback given, and just through my continuing work on the basic detailing I've broadened the cockpit and front end to make it a touch roomier, and as a result broadened the main body too, I think the change is minimal and doesn't disrupt the shape I'm trying to achieve too much, and still looks quite sleek. Have also fattened up the rear fin to the point that I'm happy enough with it. Next up will be perspective landing gear locations which I have some good ideas for, and installing the heavy laser turret in the lower turret mount. Will be used to good effect to clear a hot LZ before dropping off the troops. After that? let the full detailing commence.

As ever, let me know what you think.

Corellian_Courier_WIP_11.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_12.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_13.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_14.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_15.jpg
    Oh, and as an additional note I've found that if you log off and find the thread you want to add/respond to and then click 'respond with quote' it allows you to log on without getting that error. When you post it'll give you the error again, but your post will go up before the error kicks in, so you can still post to the forums, and you just have to view them while not logged in. So while still a pain, at least there is a temporary fix until whatever the issue is with the forums gets sorted.

[EDIT:] Oh, the forums seem to be working as normal again anyway now.
    Looking fantastic, dude. :thumb: It's nice to finally be able to see it. I'd seen that you posted an update, but all I got was "DB error" when I tried to look at it. :(
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    [EDIT:] Oh, the forums seem to be working as normal again anyway now.

For now.
    Love it. In some ways, I prefer it over the Falcon. Very clean looking model and really elegant lines. A shame detailing on Star Wars ships makes the surfaces rough. :p What are you thinking for the colour scheme? I'm thinking something like the ROTS Tantive IV would look good on this, or maybe something similar to the Falcon.

Glad to know others have been having issues with the Forums as well. Thought it was my end for a while there.
    Thanks, that is high praise indeed. Yeah, that is pretty much my thinking for colour scheme and detailing, somewhere between the Tantive IV and the Falcon, the accents might be in red, or I might change that up for a blue or gold or something, but the main colour will definitely be the same sort of bone grey/cream colour that you have on most Original Trilogy style ships. I'm going to aim at doing this fairly high end, so all the detailing will be geometry based, quite looking forward to it. Will have an interior too which will be more Falcon based in style than the Tantive IV due to the smaller scale, and purpose of the ship.
    Sounds good. I feared you'd go for the all scarlet look. :p

Not a fan of red accents myself, but that's personal preference I guess. I absolutely hate red cars. And car, even the sports ones. Red just kills it for me. Orange is passable on some sports cars and nearly all of them can get away with yellow.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the design a lot. My only comment would be to maybe try a smaller deflector dish? In certain views it just seems overly large.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Overall, great. Definitely screams Star Wars. Though I think your cockpit is too roomy - even sat tandem as you described that is still not far off two stories high if you look at the scale figures.

Secondly, make sure to focus on how the wings meet the left/right engines. They work really well on the 2D concept, but here it still looks like it's a box intersecting and doesn't quite match up - it's certainly something to look at before detailing.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to stick with the dish at the size it is for now, was originally aiming to have it roughly the same size as the one on the Falcon, but that came across a little small for what I wanted for this design. I might shrink it down later if it doesn't feel right as I carry on with it.

With the cockpit it was too skinny originally, and I might have overdone it with the widening this time, though I know, yes, the issue is more with the height of that front glass pane, but I think I can make it work, the glass will go right to the floor of the cockpit, and it isn't really two stories high, that is more due to the perspective in some shots giving that impression when compared to the scale figures.

The engine fin connection is going to get a little more work done to it as I progress, funnily enough the newer intersecting look is more in keeping with the original Republic Cruiser design, that is how they've done it as apposed to what I had in my concept, so I went with that, but am thinking about blending the two designs, so having the fin fit tighter into the engines, but with some cut out parts to avoid the intersecting look.

Right, now for an update, primarily working on the last big detail not to be added yet, the ventral heavy laser cannon turret. So we have a few pics of that detail, with design cues taken from both the Tantive IV and the Clone Wars' more militaristic version of the Republic Cruiser, the Republic Frigate. Also we have the first indications of where the boarding ramp is going to go, and finally a set of forward landing gear housing pods similar in design to those found on the Falcon from TESB onward. Just gives me a bit more room to stash the longer front landing gear while also making the distance they need to cover slightly shorter.

Corellian_Courier_WIP_16.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_17.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_19.jpg

Corellian_Courier_WIP_18.jpg

As ever feedback welcome.
    Great job on the laser cannon. :thumb:
    Cheers, I thought since it is going to be on the belly it'll be the detail you can get closest to, so it had better look good.

:D
    Looking really good. A nice, clean model. I think that the dish and cockpit look fine. As for the big window, just look at the main ship in Rebels, lol.