Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDerelict ships

• Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    mega-sputnik
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sputnik on steroids. ;)

Looking good. :)
  • rojrenrojren2310 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,974Member
    Sputnik? Why would you say that?

build 0416cccp.jpg
    101178.jpg
    JES
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    looking better, still not keen on the curves around your sphere(i think they should be the other way) but it looks better in all grey. make the habitat section bigger and have it hang down a bit, add that under spike shown on the drawing.
    rojren wrote: »
    Sputnik? Why would you say that?

build 0416cccp.jpg

:lol:
    I think the fatal error has damaged something in the file. I'm getting surface ripples, asymmetries and color weirdness.

I started reworking the habitat and the utility hull.

build 0417x.jpg
    101183.jpg
    JES
    coming out very nicely, still the "problem" with the ribbing on the sphere though. make the upper module larger and add that hook on the underside shown on the drawing. very good for a totally alien design, perhaps because it does look kind of plausible as if the huge sphere is the fuel tank.
    It's not actually ribbing. The fuel tank is constructed like an orange, with independent tank segments protected by an outer translucent hull.

I managed to purge the corrupt parts of the file, and get things back under control.

build 0418x.jpg build 0418x1.jpg build 0418x2.jpg

next:

Tag: 0000 2010206-2277810
    Type: war ship
    (Orion 110.20-08542.00)
    Culture: Progression of Thought
    Est. Age: 217 thousand years
    Size: 124m
    Nickname: Bludgeon

bludgeon1.jpg
    101192.jpg101193.jpg101194.jpg101196.jpg
    JES
    That came out great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make out of that next sketch. :) It reminds me of a dagger.
    the "Tag:0000 020347-0081112/Nickname:plaj topu" ship is your best design yet. i understand your "independent tank segments protected by an outer translucent hull" which is a good idea but maybe make the outer hull opaque then put some very small and narrow ribbing round it parallel to the orientation of the ring to which everything is attached. otherwise she is a real "beauty" for something so alien. i like her silvery texture as well. glad too see the hook, maybe be better if it were longer.

on to the new ship "bludgeon", the sketch is ,well, sketchy. i can imagine it looking really fantastic if done in a humanish style(or maybe with romulan like feathered plating). from the sketch i can imagine a shuttle type craft with a huge engine bolted on the back and some fins at the wing tips, i think i may like her but will need to wait until i see a rough 3d overall design. looking like that maybe scale her down slightly(or leave it the same size) and redesignate it as a human built shuttle.
    Thanks.:)

By the way "Plaj Topu" is Turkish for "beach ball".
    rojren wrote: »
    Thanks.:)

By the way "Plaj Topu" is Turkish for "beach ball".
    never realised, in your sci fi verse was it some turkish person that found it? you ought to model some of the human ships(assuming that humans have starships so they can travel ,explore and find these abandoned craft), perhaps those before they found these craft and then those afterwards where technology has been copied.
    I figured that there would be a wide variety of humans exploring the galaxy and discovering interesting things. If I find an interesting non-English word that I can use for a ship or place, I keep it handy. There's Finnish, Portuguese, and others I don't remember stuck in the info tags for these ships and things . Google images for 'Bola de Berlim'. Yum.

My idea was that these ships and things would be discovered fairly regularly over millennia, with each new culture adding a layer (or in some cases, several layers) of technological scrap. Some of the stuff would be old technology, some advanced, and some just plain inexplicable.
    Started on the engine, and what may or may not end up being a part of the hull.

build 0420a.jpg
    101218.jpg
    The engine looks neat so far. :)
    coming on well but not that similar to how i perceived the drawing. try enlarging the forward "shuttle" part and making it more shuttle shaped, place the wings further back. take some inspiration from the x-20 dyna-soar with the booster/fuel module on the back. make a streamlined shuttle shape at the front and then attach the engine to the back.
    I did something sort of similar (at least to my thinking) to what you describe, a few ships back, spacefighter. Well, maybe not really close, but not too far off.

I've fooled around with how things fit together, and tried a cruciform look. I need to decide what I like better and also think on weapons designs.

build 0422.jpg build 0422a.jpg
    101240.jpg101241.jpg
    JES
    I added more wings just to see what it would look like. I removed them and started on the nose guns while I think about what I want to do.

build 0423z.jpg build 0423.jpg
    101258.jpg101259.jpg
    JES
    That's pretty cool so far. :)
    that's looking awfully alien now, either build a shuttle with just a wing on either side( or some complex biplane arrangement a bit like this here or here ) or just leave it with the four wings like a centauri cruiser here. that many wings at various angles does not look right.
    the guns are nice but rather square in cross section, the detailing on the hull is nice. good to see you gave up on many wings at different angles, craft still looks wrong in some ways though.
    Added what I'm going to call a shield emitter tower, and played around with colors a bit. I'm having funky AutoCAD troubles with colors. I'll have to figure out if it's a template problem, a profile problem or something else.

build 0427x.jpg
    101326.jpg
    JES
    That's looking good so far. :)
    I found a workaround for my AutoCAD problems. At least for this problem. There's always more AutoCAD problems. It's a tradition, or something.

build 0428c.jpg build 0428c1.jpg
    101347.jpg101348.jpg
    looking good but some of the shapes still seem too alien.
    Tag: 0000 084124-1002231
    Type: cruiser
    Orion 000.91+1003770.89
    Culture: Makers of Thought
    Est. Age: 1.15 million years
    Size: 218m dia
    Nickname: King Cruller

ring ship.jpg

build 0429x.jpg build 0429x1.jpg
    101351.jpg101352.jpg101353.jpg
    JES
    finished that nice shuttle like design(the bludgeon) already? come on do some human ships at some point. latest model looks interesting all the same, but quite strange. is the ring structure for artificial gravity from rotation?
    The level of 'alienness', to a great extent, is a function of the difference between levels of technology. An F-117 would seem very, very alien to someone accustomed to a Wright Flyer. Then there's an iPhone compared to a candle stick phone. Yet they both spring from the same species in just a couple of generations.

In any case - two of my ship designs that were intended to be of human origin:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78751-Playing-with-AutoCAD&highlight=rojren
    and
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78862-Aleksandr&highlight=foster