Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Star II Style Hangar

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    ^ agreed.

Are you going to do the cell block from ANH?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers. Not going to build that cell block right now (though I do have some excellent reference for it). Might work on a spacecraft as a side project, but gotta get back to work on the Hoth map for the Star Wars mod for BF2142; First Strike, that Echo Base ain't gonna build itself.

;)
    Just a quick update, made that lighting tweak I mentioned above. Now I'm done I swear!

:D

Hangar_WIP_141.jpg
    97060.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    That turned out fantastic!!

Yep, by all means proceed with new stuff for First Strike. Been keeping an eye on that one for years now.:) Great stuff.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Mate you have done a great job, been cool to watch it come together :)
    Really nice work, with those odds and ends you put in the hanger really brings it to life.
    Just missing some engineers and storm troopers.
    Cheers guys, has been a pleasure working on the thing. Hope JMoney posts a few shots of his animation in here when he gets started, be cool to see this asset in action.

Maybe he'll have legions of Stormtroopers in there.

:p

Oh, and once again, can an admin change the spelling in the title of this thread to the correct spelling of 'Hangar'? Cheers, it'll be much appreciated.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Looking forward to seeing the troopers in there :) and will wait a little for the dust to settle before posting up my own hangar (although not the same hangar as its the ISD version ((as seen in Empire)), but they are so much alike).

:)
    Yeah, the only real difference is the configuration of the forcefield at the mouth of the hangar, seeing how the live action plates for that special edition sequence were just unused shots from the Jedi one. And bizarrely they built a cgi Lambda with a dorsal fin that was the wrong length (when folded the wingtips appeared the same height as the dorsal fin which is incorrect when compared with the Jedi version). Looking forward to seeing it mate.

:)
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Such awesome work, I almost hate to see it finished, just because I've enjoyed the updates so much.
    Well JMoney may post his animation work involving this asset in here, unless he starts another thread for that. I might also create a bit of a walk through animation at some point should I have the time, so there may still be future updates to this thread to look out for.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I'd almost say the panneling of the floor is too strong, the contrast too clear, but it still looks great.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    I haven't had much time to do anything lately, but spent a little time last night throwing this animation together. It's more of a test animation for fun just to get an idea of how things look. Talon_UK did a wonderful job on this, and everyone has been asking to see some Storm Troopers in there, so enjoy!

I had to do the Quicktime gamma fix on this, so let me know if it displays correctly. Original animation was in 1920x1080, but I sized it down to keep the file size low. I also lowered the output quality to 50% and shortened the animation to make it uploadable. One of these days I'll open a YouTube account....one of these days...

JMoney
    97199.JPG
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    That was cool :)
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Classic animation,cracks me up.
    Well done!
  • moebiustripmoebiustrip0 Posts: 0Member
    Really well done indeed!
    Heh, nice work there fella.

That sweet. but I was expecting more of the stormtrooper getting his grove on.
    Bit of a necro post, but I'm allowed I think, it's my thread after all.

Haven't had much of a chance to get some personal projects done for a while due to work commitments, but on the flipside work required me to familiarise myself with the Unreal 4 Engine, so I thought what better asset to do some tests with than this old girl?

Here are just a few initial renders in the engine after I've thrown in a few wall panels from the Imperial corridor asset and given it a bit of basic lighting. Still very much early days yet, but goes to show how easy it is to throw things into this engine and get reasonable results fast. Hope to get the whole corridor imported and looking sexy, and eventually the whole hangar too, that vast expanse should look pretty damned fine in game.

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-00-32-62.png

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-00-34-70.png

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-00-21-16.png

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-02-02-47.png

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-00-11-83.png

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-00-48-04.png

UE4Editor2014-11-0301-01-12-89.png

And yeah, that is a working blastdoor in game, a peice of piss to set up with the Blueprint scripting facility within the engine, I'd say it is much easier to use than say UDK.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Bit of a necro post, but I'm allowed I think, it's my thread after all.

Sadly, you will have to be flogged for this.

Seriously, those are some mighty impressive looking renders.
    Cheers, for the kind words rather than the flogging, warranted as it may be.

Will be refining the textures and lighting as I go so it should end up looking even closer to my original renders when I'm done. Is fun tootling around the thing in game, and a good way to experiment with the tools available within the engine.

Unfortunately going to have to take a break from it for a few days, those damned students have been doing work again, so I suppose I'm gonna have to mark it.

:rolleyes:

:lol:
    Here are a few more shots of this in Unreal 4 with the corridor asset more complete, and the textures partially generated from within the engine to be more in keeping with my original piece that was rendered within 3DS Max.

In addition to this since it is the end of the year it is time for the ModDB Mod of the Year Awards. I have no illusions that we're going to win it or anything, but as the last year that First Strike will most likely qualify for this (in it's current form at least, remember we have merged with the Star Wars: Battlecry team), we'd like to go out with one last big hurrah celebrating the good years we had since the mods first release way back in 2007. So check out the article, and if you like what you see, register on the ModDB forums and cast your vote for First Strike.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike

In future updates if we get in the Top 100 we'll reveal our singleplayer plans to circumvent the cancelling of Master Server support by EA, and look back at some of the good times when First Strike was insanely popular and we had huge multiplayer battles on the servers, complete with video footage from the time by community members.
    Dude, those look great. I love the Unreal engine. I don't know if I've played any games that use Unreal 4, but I have some that use Unreal 2 and 3. And, of course, your models and textures are great too.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    OH WOW! This looks great! I wouldn't mind playing in this map.
    Happy Holidays Guys!

Just got a chance to do a little work on this, has been a busy break to say the least, but found a bit of quiet time to get some work in. At the moment I'm looking at getting the Unreal 4 Engine version of this asset to work with light purely gleaned from the emissive material light sources in the scene rather than having to add in any additional light sources, more in tune with the iRay renders JMoney was doing of the asset. It seems to work quite well and gives a more realistic representation of what the lighting visible in the corridors would actually light that environment like. Of course being a set, in reality there would have been additional lights on stage to light the set rather than just what is seen in camera, so this might not actually look as accurate to the movie screenshots as my earlier renders. Either way, this is my first stab at using this technique, it makes the floors look a little more milky, which will need addressing, am planning to add some grime to the floor texture to break that up a bit anyway, plus other tweaks might be necessary. In addition to the lighting and setting things up to work in Unreal, I've also extended a few elements, such as the hallways beyond the now working heavy blast doors either side of the corridor, and extending the little sub corridor to go around a corner ending in a small blast door. If you could have a look at both these new emissive lighting based shots and the previous ones and let me know which you prefer, or any other crits that would be of great help.

HighresScreenshot00007.png

HighresScreenshot00006.png

HighresScreenshot00002.png

HighresScreenshot00012.png

HighresScreenshot00008.png

HighresScreenshot00010.png

After this I'll be taking a wee break from the corridor section of this asset to have a bit of a play with the main hangar to develop a quick animation sequence there, which should be fun.

Hope you all have a cracking New Year.
    It looks great. I prefer the realistic lighting to the accurate film lighting. It looks better, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the feedback Evil G, yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the imissive based lighting set up myself, just looks way more natural, probably just need to experiment with a few tweaks to get the thing looking just right.

Speaking of which that is what I'm currently doing with the main section of the Hangar now, with me taking a look at setting this up to work with iRay. Have a shot here that I'm playing with, first one has a standard render of the scene, and following that a few different set ups for iRay, finally I did a comp which gets the best of both worlds with a blend of iRay and MentalRay renders which looks pretty good. Was looking at this for animation purposes, but the length of time iRay takes to render to a decent quality seems to be a little prohibitive, so I might just end up using MentalRay, will have to see where my tests take me. Either way here are the results so far. Enjoy.

ShuttleLanding_02.jpg

ShuttleLanding_02iRay.jpg

ShuttleLanding_04iRay.jpg

ShuttleLanding_04Comp.jpg
    Those all look good, though I think the next to last one looks best.
    Funny that, the 3rd render is the best quality iRay render (20 minutes rather than 10), but the 4th one is that blended with the MentalRay render which I thought might give me the best of both worlds, with it softening the grain you get with iRay at shorter render times. The shuttle is a comp in all the shots as the shuttle just gets lit too softly in all the iRay shots, need to put an external light source in the scene to represent the sun in the star system or something to light up the ship more. I think the 3rd one might end up being the best, going to go with those settings for a few other views and see what we get.

Happy New Year folks!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I think i like 04 Comp the best, but they're all pretty nifty. The floor you have now is superb, but its too clean and shiny (especially shiny - its not a mirror!).